Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:34 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsell View Post
Very nice! Is the lever color cased or blued?
I think in the case of my 1897 i think it was. but i actually have to look at it again. i can't remember.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:11 PM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
The Marlin 1891 .22s had case hardened bolts early on, as did the early Marlin 1894s.
The 1891 side loader and 2nd variation 1891 had a blued bolt as standard. All centerfire lever actions (Models 1881-1895) had blued bolts as standard, with the exception of the 1893 (later the 1936,and prewar 36) and the 1895 having a case colored bolt.

https://www.merzantiques.com/product...891-1st-model/

Marlin did case color the hammer through almost the entire 1897 production. If a case colored hammer was a weak point, then why did S&W continue it on their blued revolvers through the late 20th century?

I am real curious where you acquired your Marlin information?

Last edited by vepr762; 05-08-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Paulsell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When researching for my project I saw that hammers were color cased or blued. Either is correct. I made my choice based, in part, on what I have learned about case hardening - it can make hammer notches brittle. There is a wide range of hardness and color based on the process employed. Colt advised me against color case on the hammer of a custom SAA if I intended to shoot it. Some color case processes do not actually harden or make parts brittle. Those methods are applied only for appearance. Perhaps that is what S&W was doing.

The 39A hammer has a different profile than that of the 1897. Color cased or not, it does not look like the original hammer. But that's okay, I was not trying to create an 1897 clone. I wanted to replicate the overall appearance and graceful contour of the '97 using modern components. I could have paid less for an original '97 in fine condition. I did not want a collector's item or museum piece. I did not want to chance a cracked bolt if a previous owner had been firing MiniMags. I wanted shooter. And thanks to Allen, it's a fine shooter as well as a very fine piece of work!
Old 05-08-2021, 04:59 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
When researching for my project I saw that hammers were color cased or blued. Either is correct. I made my choice based, in part, on what I have learned about case hardening - it can make hammer notches brittle. There is a wide range of hardness and color based on the process employed. Colt advised me against color case on the hammer of a custom SAA if I intended to shoot it. Some color case processes do not actually harden or make parts brittle. Those methods are applied only for appearance. Perhaps that is what S&W was doing.

The 39A hammer has a different profile than that of the 1897. Color cased or not, it does not look like the original hammer. But that's okay, I was not trying to create an 1897 clone. I wanted to replicate the overall appearance and graceful contour of the '97 using modern components. I could have paid less for an original '97 in fine condition. I did not want a collector's item or museum piece. I did not want to chance a cracked bolt if a previous owner had been firing MiniMags. I wanted shooter. And thanks to Allen, it's a fine shooter as well as a very fine piece of work!
Mr Springer does excellent work. Enjoy it!
Old 05-26-2021, 03:21 PM
Green Frog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 39M Octagon has suffered the effects of about 20+ years of neglect, but is still waiting around like a faithful old dog waiting for a trip to the range. The last time it had an outing was about 5-6 years ago when I loaned it to my 7 year old grand nephew to shoot a Kids' Match at our local gun club. He finished dead last, but the gun worked like a champ and he had a grand time.

Froggie