Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:27 PM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard Magazines

I've been reading horror stories on the S&W forum about magazine springs being installed incorrectly.

Unless it is already here in the forum, it would be useful to have an article that both describes the best way to disassemble and re-assemble, but also explains:

a) Which part of the spring is the "top", and which part is the "bottom".

b) the springs can go in one way, or reversed. For a High Standard, which is correct.

I'm looking over my Victor magazines, and at least one of them has the spring in "backwards". The newest magazines from Alan look different from what Roddy Toyota sent me with the Victor. I assume Alan's magazines are correct, and some of the magazines I got from Roddy are incorrect?

It would be great to have an illustration, as that would be more clear.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:18 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
springs

The Interarms magazine springs are wound in the opposite direction from the Connecticut made magazines, the Houston High Standard magazines, and the Triple K magazines. That is why the springs look different as viewed through the follower button slot. The difference you noted does not mean the magazine springs are installed incorrectly in your other magazines.

The spring is inserted with the end that sticks up facing to the front of the magazine. The top of the spring has a U shaped opening that is closed at the front, and the groove around the bottom of the follower fits inside the opening when assembling. The bottom end may not have a U shaped opening, or the opening may have the U shape bent in so that the follower does not fit.

Use a wooden stick with an angle cut to fit the follower to push the follower all the way down into the magazine so that the follower button is aligned with the rounded hole in the bottom of the slot. The button can be pulled out of the follower, and the follower can then be slowly released to allow it to be removed from the top of the magazine. The spring can then be worked out of the magazine using a side to side motion to get the coils past the feed lips. Be sure to observe the orientation of the spring and replace it in the same way. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Here are some photos of various magazines assembled, and showing the orientation of the springs when disassembled.

Top to bottom, left side__________ Top to bottom, right side
Houston HS 1st version__________ InterarmsTX
Houston HS 2nd version__________Triple K post 2005 version
Houston HS post 2005 version_____Triple K pre 2005 version
Connecticut High Standard________Triple K pre 1990 version

The bottom photo shows a disassembly tool made from a paint stir stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag comparison 4.jpg (510.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg mag comparison 1.jpg (509.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg magazine disassembly tool.jpg (566.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by HSWayne; 05-06-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-06-2021, 07:56 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my experience HSWayne is correct about the spring orientation and the spring removal process.

If you get the mag spring in backwards (open end facing forward) the front nose of the follower may not be pushed to the top of the magazine body and the top cartridge may have its nose not pointed at the center of the barrel chamber . As HSWayne said the top of the spring has to seat around the bottom of the follower. Usually it is obvious how the spring mates with the bottom of the follower. Keep the spring's top open end forward.

LDBennett

Last edited by LDBennett; 05-08-2021 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spring orientation misspoken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett
If you get the mag spring in backwards (open end facing rearward) the front nose of the follower may not be pushed to the top of the magazine body and the bottom cartridge may have its nose not pointed at the center of the barrel chamber .
Fixed it for you. Only the bottom round interacts with the follower.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:56 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestion - we should stop discussing, and make this a "frozen" sticky.
Wonderful information, so easy to understand.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:34 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the follower in the U-shaped bend at the top of the spring, facing forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5164.jpg (492.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM
Kevin_Garthwaite
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took a couple of wood medical tongue depressors glued them together then cut one end at an angle that matched the follower. Simple and it works great for depressing the follower and spring.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:40 AM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HSWayne,

Thanks much for the paint stir stick photo! I've been using tongue depressors glued together and, at best, they're OK.
Stir stick, here I come!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:02 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great posts thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 09:23 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
............Here are some photos of various magazines assembled, and showing the orientation of the springs when disassembled.

Top to bottom, left side__________ Top to bottom, right side
Houston HS 1st version__________ InterarmsTX
Houston HS 2nd version__________Triple K post 2005 version
Houston HS post 2005 version_____Triple K pre 2005 version
Connecticut High Standard________Triple K pre 1990 version

If I've got some magazines in front of me, along with this post, how do I know the appropriate name for each magazine?

Are there any unique marks, or whatever, to match a magazine up with the eight magazine types you have listed?

I have three magazines that might be "Triple K". How would I confirm that? Too bad they don't have manufacturing information stamped on them.

Thanks very much for posting this information.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:48 PM
HSWayne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine ID

http://hscollectorsblog.blogspot.com...scare-and.html
Mike, click the link above to read the article on magazines I wrote a few years ago for the High Standard Collectors' Association. This should help you ID your magazines.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:21 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gee, the article seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can barely read it. All the text on the page is "normal", except for what you wrote which is shown in a font size of 7, meaning I need a magnifying glass to read it. :-)

So, I copied the article into a new "Microsoft Word" document, and bumped the font size up to 12.

I also used their tool to mail the article to a friend, in this case, myself, but it never showed up.

Thank you for writing it - would they allow you to also post it here on this forum, where I'm sure it would be done in a way to make it easier to read?

Again - thank you!!

edit - added later...
Great article, easy to understand, and seems to cover everything. Now I need to sort out what I've got. I think the easiest thing for me to do, is use my old triple-k magazines for practice, but to only use magazines I buy from Alan Aronstein at Interarms. I did buy the tool (from Alan, not from ebay), along with two more magazines, but nothing has arrived yet. You are a very good writer - you not only explain what to do, but why.

Last edited by MikeMyers; 05-09-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:11 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After a lot of searching, I finally found a full article on HOW to adjust the magazine lips for High Standard. Here's the link:

http://ashevillerifleandpistolclub.o...2-107-PTS1.pdf

If instructions come with the new magazine tool I ordered from Interarms, I'll copy that here as well.