Redfield 22-RE Sharpshooter peep for grooved receivers - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 PM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Redfield 22-RE Sharpshooter peep for grooved receivers

While searching for the “right” scope for my grooved receiver Winchester 61, I found out about the Redfield Sharpshooter 22RE receiver groove mounted peep.

It caught my interest enough that I ended up having to get one to try out.

No rounds fired under it yet but as expected the front sight acquisition speed is much quicker. I kind of like the look of it too. It’s very low profile - much the same as if the peep were mounted to the side of the receiver.

Has anyone else seen or used these?

Old 04-22-2021, 07:29 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have one, but not on my 61 grooved rec. I mounted it on my 9422. It helped me out a lot. Love aperture sights.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:34 PM
Jolly Bill
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
[QUOTE=jsgwoodsman;12293333]While searching for the “right” scope for my grooved receiver Winchester 61, I found out about the Redfield Sharpshooter 22RE receiver groove mounted peep.

It caught my interest enough that I ended up having to get one to try out.

No rounds fired under it yet but as expected the front sight acquisition speed is much quicker. I kind of like the look of it too. It’s very low profile - much the same as if the peep were mounted to the side of the receiver.

Has anyone else seen or used these?

jsgwoodsman,

Very neat looking sight.

You mentioned that no shots fired yet but when you do, let us know how it shoots.

It looks a little high for the front sight.

By the way, you post great pictures.

Jolly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 09:36 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Thanks Jolly,

I believe it’ll need a different (higher) front sight.

Redfield originally offered a corresponding replacement front sight ramp that slid into the barrel dovetail - making a taller, upper dovetail location for the factory front sight. See photos:

I’ll test it first and likely locate one of the above mentioned sight adapters if needed.

Report to follow.

Last edited by jsgwoodsman; 04-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:04 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree you will need to change out your 61's front site. I got away from having to change out the front sight on my 9422, cause it's a little higher already. I thought about putting the Redfield on my grooved 63 but didn't want to change the front sight out.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:31 PM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Well...
I tested out the redfield today and as expected the point of impact was about 12” higher than the point of aim with the peep at its lowest possible setting. Oh well, I took it off and the good ole iron sights performed as well as always.

I’m going to pop the peep on a 9422 for now and see how that shoots.

A Burris mini 4x just arrived in the mail today and I think I’ll give that a try on the 61... pics to follow.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:31 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You will need to change out the front sight also on the 9422. I did with my Skinner on my 9422 and they look really close to same height. I used a Skinner Brass front sight, works well and looks great.

I wish my 61 was a grooved receiver, I would try one of these but not my luck.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:51 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
You will need to change out the front sight also on the 9422. I did with my Skinner on my 9422 and they look really close to same height. I used a Skinner Brass front sight, works well and looks great.

I wish my 61 was a grooved receiver, I would try one of these but not my luck.
I didn't have to change the front site on mine for some reason, but i did have to flip my rear sight insert upside down so that i could leave it in place and see more of the front sight.