Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:22 PM
jeepwm69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
At the machine shop making a new barrel. Machined a 1 bar of 303 SS to diameter needed and bored hole for SS liner the first evening. Barrel liner epoxied in overnight. Faced off breech then fluted barrel with a 1 cove end mill. Three sides fluted and a flat milled on top for sight rail ala Victor. With barrel mounted to frame I loaded a mag with high and standard velocity ammo and stepped out the shop door and cycled flawlessly for three mags.

Must have been the poor machining on the factory barrel as suspected. Only way to save that is drill it out and order another liner.

Holo sight should be mounted by this afternoon after completing machining on the rail and drill and tap.

Barrel will be soda blasted and rib sandblasted before bluing.
How, quite a bit of work there you have performed. Are you a machinist by trade?
Old 03-31-2021, 04:00 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m just a retired Welder, Outfitter, Cabinet Maker, Countertop Fabricator, Carpenter, Apple Grower and Beekeeper with time on my hands and a well equipped shop at the farm. Dad was a Machinist Mate in the Navy and we started buying machinery forty years ago. Broken down lathes and milling machines that we made new parts for and got running again. If there’s a will there’s a way!
Machinery come in handy keeping our farm and the neighbors machinery going. Seven lathes in the shop and two milling machines and well equipped with tooling. Why buy something that can be made!

Sight rib machined and holes drilled, I needed a break before drilling and tapping holes.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:55 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm jealous. I almost had Dad talked into https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-South-...item4dbc70a94b but it was a bit of a drive.

I'd love to have the means to do that kind of work, but of course, if you don't know how to use it you can do more harm that good.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:21 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fourteen hour day today and ready for accuracy tests.
Thought I had hot rolled off the scrap bin under power band saw, nope nasty 304L. At least the sight rail should be tough enough but a bear to machine. Oh well no blued rail on SS barrel, will just soda blast for a nice gray coat.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
congrats , i think you found a really nice one
Old 04-02-2021, 09:45 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a cool project you've got there. I'm a little envious of your nice selection of machines, tools, and skills. I'm sure you'll be able to get the original barrel working correctly, as well. I was going to comments earlier in the thread that you should just buy a X-series or LSP barrel, but I'm glad to see how this has panned out. Please keep us updated on any further progress.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:14 AM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for your kind responses. I have gas money and $40 with about 20hours of time into the project. It worked out well as I just hit ten out of ten rounds into a 2” diameter spinner at fifty yards. Machine rest of course but it now performs flawlessly.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:04 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
cant beat that for performance , again congrats
Old 04-07-2021, 07:24 AM
307rifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a cool pistol! The level of work that you can do is great.You must get great satisfaction making a problem pistol turn out to be a tack driver! Having the right the right tools and knowing how to use them sure helps.