Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to s10/22
Rear Sight Removal Oil/Lube?

Removing a rear sight on a Mark II Gov't Target Model. Removing the sight Left to Right as recommended. Loosened the elevation screw, sprayed Hornady One Shot and it budged. Now will go NO further. Beat on it as hard as I feel comfortable.

Q. Is there an oil/lube that will create a more "slick" surface on which will help slide it out or something I may let soak?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:24 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Did you loosen the set screw on the left side of the sight body ? Don't be offended just asking.
You can try some type of penetrating oil . You can even warm the sight with a hairdryer and it may loosen up.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:46 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Is there an oil/lube that will create a more "slick" surface on which will help slide it out or something I may let soak?
Yes, Kroil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kroil.jpg (5.8 KB, 120 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:45 AM
BCR1
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Mine tapped right off but I would also recommend Kroil. I replaced the sight with an optics plate.

Bill
Old 07-12-2020, 11:16 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Did you loosen the set screw on the left side of the sight body ? Don't be offended just asking.
You can try some type of penetrating oil . You can even warm the sight with a hairdryer and it may loosen up.

Oh - and +1 on the Kroil.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
92% (8)
Loosing set screw put a couple layers of tape on sight and a brass punch some come off harder than others don’t be afraid to hit it had the barrel secured
Old 07-12-2020, 06:53 PM
jason_garvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some of those are on there. If you look close you can see slight marks on the dovetail which tells you which way it went in originally. If I remember right, left to right to go out, not sure tho. I greased mine when I put the Vq sight back in. A brass punch or piece of delrin to whack on for sure. I would taped up the whole reciever with painters tape also just in case you slip. Keep soaking it.

Jason
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

Oh - and +1 on the Kroil.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 PM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just removed a stuck sight from and early Mk 1 HTB Target. I soaked it for two days with CLP, then with a brass drift, being rapped with a smaller hammer, she came out. The issue was the sight had rusted to the dovetail. After cleaning up the dovetail, a new old stock sight slipped snugly in.

Last edited by valvestem; 07-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to s10/22
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I will have time to work on it this weekend and will keep you posted. RFC never disappoints!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Prange

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could remove the upper and throw it in a pan of Kroil or suspend it so the rear sight is submerged and let it soak for a few days.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10/22 View Post
Removing a rear sight on a Mark II Gov't Target Model. Removing the sight Left to Right as recommended. Loosened the elevation screw, sprayed Hornady One Shot and it budged. Now will go NO further. Beat on it as hard as I feel comfortable.
S10,

Don't know if your MkII is blued or SS, but I had a rear sight on a Standard that would move a little, then lock up. Using One Shot as constant lubricant and a solid plastic tipped punch, I'd re-drive the sight back into place, then try removing it again. After 4-5 times of this back and forth actions, it finally would slide all the way out of the receivers dovetail!!

A slight bit of rusting had it seized in place, but all that cleaned up very nicely!!

Let us know what ends up working for you!

Ted