What would you do - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 AM
452PaperPuncher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What would you do

I picked up another cz that I bought online without seeing it and it turns out it has some nice wood under the mud finish. My intent was to strip it and do an oil finish but I decided to shoot it first to see how it shot and ended up shooting the best 5 shot group at 50yards I've ever Shot. Now I'm second guessing touching anything. If I refinish and torque everything properly it should still shoot as good as it does now right ? Here's a few pics of my groups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1606366722916.jpg (218.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg image_1606366750397.jpg (201.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-26-2020, 06:13 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Me if I wanted to refinish the stock I would go for it and think that the groups would be there afterwards.

Welcome to RFC and congratulations on the rifle.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:14 AM
hickorynut
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Those are good 50 yard groups, what ammo were you shooting? What model CZ did you buy? The CZ 452 Americans seem to have a better finish than the other models, especially the 457s, definitely earned the "mud finish" term.

Last edited by hickorynut; 11-26-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC Punch.
Get that mud off it ASAP. A doc once told me about an upcoming surgery; "3 things can happen, after the surgery it will be better, the same, or worse but my money is better."
Old 11-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
452PP sir like others have said to RFC where we here will help you spend more money of rimfire stuff than you ever dreamed of...I know I have and love every minute of it.

Nice shooting there but where is the picture of the rifle ??...we need to see both. Please.

Signalman
Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
452PaperPuncher, welcome to RFC.

Assuming it's a Walnut-stocked CZ, I'd go ahead with the refinish. I wouldn't attempt to refinish a Beech-stocked CZ because the factory finish on those (the 452s and 455s anyway) seems to be near impossible to fully remove, and therefore it's near impossible to get a professional-looking refinish result that improves on the factory finish.

Since your gun is shooting well at the current assembly settings, I'd try to get a feel for how tight the action screws are currently torqued, and then reassemble it at those settings. But even if that isn't convenient, I'd do the refinish if I wanted to, and have faith that I could get it shooting as well afterwards as it did before. There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do that. One of these days you'll have to take it down for a cleaning or something anyway. The refinish itself shouldn't have an effect on accuracy.

What model is your CZ, BTW?

Last edited by I6turbo; 11-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
First off “WELCOME” to the best forum on the net and the best group of enablers you will ever find!

Just do it! You know you want to and if you don’t you will always wish you had.

I really don't see how refinishing will effect the accuracy. Of course you know pics. are required.

Wonderdog1
Old 11-26-2020, 11:20 AM
452PaperPuncher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This one is a 452 varmint. It shoots sk pistol match in the .3 and the other group was with cci. I only had 10 rnds of the green tag and it shot two very small groups with it. Once I'm finished doing the stock on my 453 in hmr I'll do this on next. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:11 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
welcome,

heres is my thoughts/approach....

some disclosures....

> i have several CZs 22 rifles.

> they are ALL OEM. No screwing with them.

> Im a "if it aint broke...dont mess with it" type of person.

> i know full well, there are those that can not leave well enough alone too, and is why im careful about buying used toys.

> i also know there are those that are rocket scientist and there are those that are kitchen table bubba smiths.

but something to consider if you cant leave well enough alone....

> get a torque screwdriver. If you dont have one already.

> start at a lowest setting and see if you can get an idea of what the screw torque (range) is. For any of them attaching teh stock to the receiver. Im also anal about info too. Not just putting the date in the HD in my head but on paper with a diagram showing what screws. My internal HD isnt so hot anymore ,so i take notes. I have this info so you maybe able to cut to the chase and bracket in your starting torque values.

> make notes if there are any high spots such as any part of the stocks touching the barrel. If its suppose to be "free floated" ect.

> note what ammo you shot and so forth.

but if you want to refinish your stock then i would do the above so that you can TRY to re-create as close as possible before you changed things.

good luck
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 PM
DGNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations, you have a fine-shooting CZ! Of course you can refinish the stock; no problem. Before you take it apart, you might take a picture with your cell phone of the position of the screws on the bottom side of the rifle. Then, with your newly acquired fat wrench, also check the approximate torque on the screws, after you mark with a marker pen where the leading edge of each screw slot is on each screw.

Good luck and please be sure to show us what it looks like after the refinish. If you're going to acquire some more of that SK pistol match, now would be a good time to try!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:23 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you shoot a few more groups like that you will decide to keep it like it is and never destroy the memories by touching it.

I once gave a friend a beat up Winchester Model 1906. He was going to restock it and reline the barrel but then he fired a few boxes of shorts through it at tin cans and decided to keep it just as it was.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:44 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi 452papetpuncher. Add one more "Welcome!" to your list.

I have the same dilemma as you do - nice wood under a dark finish.
And mine shoots like yours, so I am loathe to mess with it. My barreled action sits beautifully in the barrel channel as-is, and I don't know if the existing finish is acting as a moisture barrier. I don't want any unintended consequences like inducing a little forend warping.
I have been very tempted to strip and refinish mine, but the longer I leave it alone the more the temptation settles down. I may still choose to do it, but for now I'm very satisfied shooting it. And I can always get a good look at it in the sunlight (see pic) anytime I want a reminder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-11-07-23-34-09_1606527809359.jpg (124.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 04:11 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd leave it alone. It sounds like for you (and me) the rifle is to shoot, not look at. Refinishing CZ rifles seems to be a curious fad that is fostered on this forum. There are few, if any, other hobbies where people buy a new item, the strip off it's OEM finish to make it "better." Also, the Varmints don't have very nice wood, usually.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
I'd leave it alone. It sounds like for you (and me) the rifle is to shoot, not look at. Refinishing CZ rifles seems to be a curious fad that is fostered on this forum. There are few, if any, other hobbies where people buy a new item, the strip off it's OEM finish to make it "better." Also, the Varmints don't have very nice wood, usually.
But some do.....

Signalman
Old 11-28-2020, 04:20 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (108)
Refinishing wont hurt anything, but I would not, even tho its not a collector piece it will actually hurt the value if you decide to sell it later on, CZ uses a lot of stain on their walnut stock, theres a reason for that, good shooting rilfe looks like to.