Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Favorite rimfire accuracy terms !

6K views 78 replies 48 participants last post by  Purple Bikerr 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a friend who is going to bring over a friend of his who has a new to him CZ this weekend and try some different ammo. He says that this gun is Super accurate, and that got me thinking about my experience with other guns and ammo combinations and the terms used to describe them by their operators! I'll bet he will have the usual collection of ammo . Most of which consists of of mini mags, Winchester high velocity, Federal H.V., cci standards, sk standard plus, wolf, Eley target , Aguila something, and someone is going to bring a cartoon of something. Not knocking this ammo, that it will shoot anywhere near an inch at 50 makes it good stuff for the money, and plenty good enough for squirrel hunting which is what most of these shooters do. A lot of guns and ammo combinations won't consistently do that well, but they are not the scary accurate ones. Anyhow, this gun is SUPER accurate with what he has shot so far, whatever that is. I don't know if I have had any super accurate ones here yet, but I am sure I have had the following.

Shoot the wings off of a dragonfly= 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards
Scary accurate = 3/4" to 1" at 50 Yards.
Laser accurate = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
One hole all day long = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
One ragged hole = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
Unbelievably accurate = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
Tack Driver = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
Stacks them one on top of the other = 3/4" to 1" at 50 yards.
Boringly accurate! Well, that's the ones they leave at home but apparently there is no room for improvement and that is where the boring part comes in.( I guess larger groups don't bore them!) Typical groups I understand are in the .000 Range.
I get the occasional shooters who show up and just quietly shoot into the .2's, 3's, and 4's. It seems they never describe their guns as any kind of accurate. They may say something like it is a decent shooter.
Anyhow over the years I have started to see a pattern, I have a good idea what Super accurate is going to mean!

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
jaia, Bored! laid off and laid up. Just now starting to get around good. Thought I would give someone else that might be in the same situation something to read. As soon as he asked me if he could bring him over and described his accuracy it got me to thinking. I have described the terms as to what they mean based on the experiences here. I'll bet a $100 right now, that super accurate gun and ammo combination will be very close to 3/4" to 1" at best.
By the way I am not knocking 3/4" to 1" Sporters shooting ammo along the lines that I have mentioned. I am only defining the terms as to what I have come to know them to represent.

#9 ·
Todd, I get a chuckle out of all of them, I just know where it is going to end up.

Ammohog, Elephant beetle, that's funny!
I have heard a lot of other terms but those are the ones I have seen in action. I will also have to add tack driver to my list as it just escaped my mind at the time , But I have had a bunch of tack drivers over here!

#14 · (Edited)
Whiplash, If you don't mind me saying so, I think you are going about the beginner thing all wrong. You should never be a beginner after the first ammo purchase. It is customary after buying your first box of ammo to immediately promote oneself to near expert status. After having SHOT that box of ammo , the promotion to expert is now complete. You will remain as a top expert for an average of about three years at such time you will go into a period of decline and start doubting your own knowledge and expertise! You will continue this decline until you are no longer an expert. About ten years later you will in no wise regain all of your former glory, but will get to the point that you will become knowledgeable. It is doubtful that in your later years you will ever become the expert you once were, but will no doubt feel comfortable in the company of other knowledgeable folks.
Please feel welcome to use any of the above terms that any of us has mentioned.

#19 ·
Don't rain on his parade please.

Lerrab posts "Got a friend who is going to bring over a friend of his who has a new to him CZ this weekend and try some different ammo. He says that this gun is Super accurate"

Don't rain on his parade. He is excited and happy. Good. As he grows in the sport, he will acquire knowledge. For now, be happy for him.

#24 ·
fugawe, I take it that you are either and old geezer or right up against it, not because you actually know what an 86 Lemler is, ( most don't) but because of your use of the word, Pffff. You pulled it off pretty good giving yourself away in the process. It's and old geezer's word kind of like Pshaw. Probably the hardest two words for a youngster to actually pull off in conversation. I waited a long time to be able to use those two words and I enjoy not only using them but hearing them used, Thanks!

#29 ·
Think about this. Is a rifle accurate or precise? If a rifle shoots a 1/4 inch group that is 4 inches away from the center of the target, it is showing it is precise. But if it shoots a 1 inch group that is centered on the target, it can be called accurate. But if it shoots a 1/4 inch group that is centered on the target, it is both precise and accurate.

From the Merriam Webster web site for "precision"

Did You Know?

Many of us often use precision and accuracy as synonyms, but not scientists and engineers. For them, accuracy describes a particular measurement-that is, how close it is to the truth. But precision describes a measurement system-that is, how good it is at giving the same result every time it measures the same thing.
I happen to be a retired engineer.

#30 ·
Think about this. Is a rifle accurate or precise? If a rifle shoots a 1/4 inch group that is 4 inches away from the center of the target, it is showing it is precise. But if it shoots a 1 inch group that is centered on the target, it can be called accurate. But if it shoots a 1/4 inch group that is centered on the target, it is both precise and accurate.

From the Merriam Webster web site for "precision"

I happen to be a retired engineer.
You're wasting your time, my friend . . . . . . . . . some things will never change.:rolleyes:

A bit OT for this thread, but one thing that always torks me are the maroons who "run" scopes on their rifles. "What scope you runnin' on yer 32-5.56 Knockout, Bubba?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.