Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Chattanooga RC ... 3-P match for May 7th

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Fuzzy Limey 
#1 · (Edited)
According to the Chattanooga Club calendar there is no CMP Rimfire Sporter event scheduled for this Saturday, May 7th due to conflict with the CMP Eastern Games. There is however the last CRC Spring Series Prone 1600 event scheduled for that same date.

This "blank day" gave rise to a few idle thoughts. For several years now I have tried to get one of my long-time fellow Prone competitors, Jerry R., to bring along a rifle on his monthly visits. He always pleads infirmity and "old age" - (I believe he's some 15 years my junior !!!) - and turns me down. Now that I am reduced to shooting 3-P events from my rollator it seemed a good idea to renew the challenge, letting Jerry shoot from a similar sitting position at a regular range bench ... he nominally accepted ! The course of fire was to be a 60-shot 3-P NRA Light Rifle match, with both of us shooting "seated" under IPC Paralympic rules, and shot concurrently with the 50-yard stages of the regular Prone match.. Unfortunately, both he and Corinne now have another engagement for this Saturday and cannot attend.

I plan on being there anyway .... so-o-o-o-o ... if any of the regular CMP Rimfire Sporter shooters still need their "monthly fix", why not come out and give Light Rifle 3-P a try. 20 shots each, slow fire in Prone, Sitting/Kneeling and Offhand positions at 50 yards on the A.31 targets. A bit more challenging than CMP but the same rifles will work, any sights, but triggers can be down to 2#. The 'fit and able' should shoot on their own two feet, belly or butt, but 'old crocks' can sit at a bench !

Anyone ?

Fuzzy

PS: Match Registration starts at 9AM ... Shooting at 10AM ... at the Club Competition Range on Hunter Road in Harrison, TN

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to get to Nashville and visit my mom for Mother's Day, and I would take you up on that, but it's not in the cards for this year. I have not shot 3P in 20 odd years and I know my knees are not up to kneeling anymore, but sitting does work. I did an Appleseed in January and with some stretching exercises the week before hand, I managed to deal pretty well with sitting and prone, for being 63 anyway. Does the NRA allow you to substitute sitting for kneeling in 3P? I don't have a legitimate disability, just beat up knees. Dave

#3 ·
... Does the NRA allow you to substitute sitting for kneeling in 3P? I don't have a legitimate disability, just beat up knees. Dave ...
Would be great to have you drop by, Dave ... the Club always welcomes visiting competitors to its' matches. This one is strictly an informal addition I'm running alongside the formal NRA Prone match. As for NRA recognition of substituting "Sitting" for "Kneeling", I long ago gave up on expecting the NRA Competitions Dept to ever deviate from their exalted and rigid "Books of Rules". Over the years they have created many variations on the Smallbore game, but don't really support them. The Light Rifle variation has been around for many, many years now, but other than one Club in Indiana - and a "married couple"(?) out in CA who set all the formal records - was ignored by everyone ... (more recently I've noticed on the Competitions Calendar that several Clubs have now finally taken up this challenging game !). Not until the 21st Century, when CMP introduced the RFS game, did Sporter Rifle competition really get going. Another example is their refusal to join in with CMP and ALL the various organisations that participate in Junior Air Rifle competition.

Nowadays, as I approach 90-ish, I only shoot in CRC events where they tolerate my efforts to continue in competition. A long time ago, in accordance with all the detailed clauses in Section 13 of the NRA Silhouette Rule Book, I submitted a formal petition to the NRA Protest Committee seeking a disability deviation. Have never ever received an acknowledgement from them, despite follow up correspondence, that the petition was ever received.

... better get off my soapbox before Sophia bans me ... !

Fuzzy

#4 ·
... a postscript ... !

Had contact with several folk who would have liked to come out and try the Light Rifle game ... unfortunately, with one exception, none could make it for last Saturday.

The one exception ... Don Moore, our own Magical ... fresh from his Senior Class win at the CMP Eastern Games the previous weekend. It was his first experience with the more demanding A.31 target.

The results ... ?

Stage 1 - Prone

Don - 196
Fuzzy - 188

Stage 2 - Sitting/Kneeling

Don - 194
Fuzzy - 189

Stage 3 - Offhand

Don - 164
Fuzzy - 172

Total Score

Don - 554/600
Fuzzy - 549/600

T'was a pleasant morning with intermittent sun and clouds, and a light fluky breeze and temperatures rising to high 70's by late morning. Don's comment at the end was that compared to CMP RFS, he didn't think anybody could ever shoot a perfect 600 !

We both shot CZ's ... I shot a modified 455 American in Prone and Sitting, but had problems with target groups that resembled buckshot. I had changed scope and rings the night before and suspected a faulty installation, so switched to my well-tried CMP CZ.512 for the Offhand stage. When packing up after the match I noticed that the "bench attachment" on my rollator that serves as elbow support in Prone and Sitting stages had popped out of position and could rock about a bit, so have to assume that inconsistency in my stance in the first two stages was the real problem ... another "nut behind the buttplate" issue it seems - lol !

Yesterday, Sunday, I did a lot of testing of the 455 on my home 50 yard range, and could find no problem with it. So ... the bench attachment will need yet another tweek to solidify its' configuration ... right now it just lays across the handlebars of the rollator with two pins to stop it sliding off. Nuff Sed !

Fuzzy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.