Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

H&R Sportster ...

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  JTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
... in .22LR. In a nostalgic mood of late .... I had been browsing the H&R dealers websites for traces of what seemed to be"a rare bird". Having grown up with single-shot break-barreled shotguns and rat-rifles, I thought it would be fun to turn back the clock some 75 years or so ... and maybe the kids and grandkids might enjoy it on their irregular visits.

Several dealers had the larger calibre Handi-Rifles in stock, but both the adult-and youth-sized Sportsters in .22LR remained elusive. I did find quite a few of the newer designed Rossi ... but all were in a mini-youth size ... not overly practical for any of our adult tribe - lol

Then, taking a closer look at the H&R dealer listings I noticed one in the next little town that had totally escaped me ... a mere 20 miles away, I have driven past it a hundred times and never even noticed its' existence due to the more eye-catching business on the opposite side of the road - a marina full of interesting boats - lol !

A quick phone call .. got the owner himself ... ! No ! ... he didn't have such a thing, although he had a good inventory of Handi-Rifles and shotguns ... wasn't even sure that they were still made, based upon current Internet scuttlebutt ... BUT ... he'd phone his distributor and call me back !

Barely the time of a quick potty-stop later, the phone rang ... "Yes ! ... there were three in the warehouse... did I want to order oine ?"

Now, less tha a few days later, there's one in my safe ... BUT ... it's spent most of the in-house time here out on my range. Right off it felt pretty good in my hands although I found the plastic stock without enough Cast-Off to ccomodate my fat face, so that I could get my eye behind the mini-sized open sights. Ah Well .. a few degrees of corrective cant on a plinker rifle ... guess we can get used to tthat.

Oh Oh ! The first real setback ... I couldn't open the breech ... the locking push button totally defied my attempts to depress it with my right thumb ... added more pressure with my left thumb ... still no success ! Obviously a manufacturing defect ... no way could I have grown that weak and ineffectual in my 80-odd years ! So back to the workshop ... rested the button against my bench and pushed with all my might on the whole rifle ... Golly ... it finally moved and I could open the breech. Tried this act a few more times, adding a litle lubricant to the lock, and a quick rub with a stone on a possibly ultra-sharp lock edge ... slowly it got loosened up enough to manage it with two thumbs and NO bench ! I threw out my chest ... flexed my biceps ... obviously a manufacturing defect !

So ... on to more serious tasks ... cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger ... obviously another major flaw in manufacturing ! No way my thumb and forefinger could be that weak ! Heavens ! ... I pull heavy target rifle triggers just about every day, sometimes more than a hundred times ... some are a hefty 2 to 2-12# in pull weight ! A I said ... another defect !

Pause while I scoured this Forum and every other Internet site I could find looking for trigger tuning solutions ... little on RFC, but Old Greybeard and several 'smiths had a few words of wisdom to scan. Most involved beating a host of splined pins out of the receiver in order to get down to the links, levers and spring hidden in its' depth. Then fabricating slave pins, and jigs, before getting down to the real crux of the matter ... careful stoning of key surfaces with lots of test re-assembly and firing in between.

Oh Oh ... what's this ... more notes in one forum ... several owners were lucky enough to have gotten triggers NIB with pulls of 3# or even less ... others found that if they flushed out the action with liquids varying from Kroil, or Break-Free, possibly even strong English Breakfast Tea - (without the Milk and Sugar of course - there's a limit to sacrilege eben in the USA) - and then puffed in a few squirts from a Powdered Graphite tube, and worked the trigger and lock buttons, but without letting the hammer fall completely, sometimes ... YES ... I said sometimes .... the trigger would smooth out to a respectable level and all that dismantling and stoning could be bypassed. (NOTE: I would be hesitant to use Break-Free or similar solvents around an action partially encased in a PLASTIC stock ! )

Nothing venture ... I gave it a try ... flushed out the action with a Rem-Oil spray ... let it drain off, before blowing out much of the remainder with my computer "Duster" can gas. finished up with the Powdered Graphite before doing the hammer cocking / trigger pulling routine a few dozen times. A final blowing out of the excess graphite ... do a few test pulls ... I put a folded Q-Tip over the safety bar to stop any damage in case my ageing thumbs slipped on the hammer.

Wow ! A whole new trigger and barrel lock ! I had been one of the "lucky ones" ! Being my usual scientific-minded self, I grabbed my 3# trigger dead-weight ... it wouldn't break the trigger. Hmmm ... so added the 1-1/2# CMP/JROTC test weight ... BANG ! So less than 4-1/2# pull. It had been almost 9# when I started.

Next I juggled a few more "known" weights to the load .... best estimate or the completed trigger job is around 3# 3 oz. Lucked out once again !

Now ... if my eyesight were only good enough to see those dinky li'l open sights ... sigh ! Mind you, with left knuckles resting on a Bull Bag ... a piece of SWMBO's Vinyl door decorations with a 1/8" hole punched in it, pasted over the right hand lens of my tri-focals ... a handy tack hammer and pin punch nearby ready to "adjust" azimuth ... we had at it ! I can report that 1' groups with Mini-Mags at 25 yards are definitely feasible ... the yougsters should beat that handily ! Choot !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice little write up. I bought a Sportster .22, about 1 1/2 yrs. ago, with the specific intentions of making a squirrel rifle out of it. I've really turned into a single shot addict. Unlike you, no way was I going to attempt to hunt with the iron sights that come with the rifle. My age and bi focals dictate that I use a scope. I hunted with the little rifle last season and managed to shoot 31 squirrels with it. I hadn't done much squirrel hunting, in the last 2 decades, but with back/feet issues, it has become my favorite kind of hunting, anymore.

I made some upgrades to the Sportster, since last season. I bought a monte carlo synthetic stoc to replace the standard one, so my eye would line up with the scope better. I then replaced the scope I used, with one that had finer crosshairs and a bigger objective. Lastly, I decided to "purty up" the ole girl by having hydrographic camo put on the stock and forend. So far this year, I've killed 8 squirrels with it, and the season just opened last week.

Here's a few pics.

Here is the gun, a year ago last spring. Standard stock, and 2-7x shotgun scope on board.

I added a butt cuff to hold my .22 ammo, while hunting.

This is how she shot, right out of the box with CCI SV longrifle ammo. Not target accurate, but "minute of squirrel" accurate.

One of my better days last fall.

Here she is all decked out with the new rfinements I talked about, above.

last check before our season opener.

Putting her to the test, last week. The Sportster has become my favorite hunting rifle.

Maddog

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like ...

... Ma and Pa squirrel had better stay close to the drey this coming Winter, Mad ... otherwise there won't be any replacement targets for you next year - lol. Must admit I havn't shot a tree rat in many years.

When I first bought this hunk of Tennessee ridgetop some 17 years ago, it was densely forested ... primarily Oaks of all kinds, Hickories and Maples with a good scattering of Sourwoods and Wild Cherry. The squirrels ran pretty thick at that time, but I just knocked off the odd one or two when I fancied something more tasty fried up for breakfast.

Several years later, after I logged about ten acres aorund the cabin ... it needed thiinning down as mny of the Red and Chestnut Oaks and Hickories were developing heavy rot ... a common problem on this Clay and Shale surface. They look perfect from outside but when one, or a heavy branch from it, comes crashing down without warning as you walk by, it's time to get out the chain saw and logging truck ... Both hardwood and Pine logging is a big business on these local ridges, so the clearing brought some rewards - lol.
Plus it let a little light in on two of my three rifle training ranges... !

Now we're getting some nice second growth from selected stumps - some are up to 20 or more feet already - and the squirrels can be seen "acting squirrelly " once again ... figure I'l leave them alone for a while so that they can get re-established. Major problem though are the feral cats and dogs ... not to mention Bobcats and Coyotes I shot two Bobcats last Summer coming out of one of my barns with the CZ.452 Lux, "Old Faithful" ... now in a new home in Texas... Sigh !

Spent a couple of hours with the Sportster this morning - getting the feel of it - got out a carton of Mini-Mags HP and got the sights properly zeroed for round-the-house plinking ... also did some offhand shooting at the 2" swingers on the 25 and 50 yard range. getting about 75% hits so think it's going to be a "HANDI-RIFLE" even if it's the "wrong calibre" - lol

Bearing in mind my "lack of eyesight", I've already ordered the matching Weaver rail and Thumber for the hammer ... will probably put an old Wally World / Burris 4X scope on for now, but think that its tiny size just begs for something like a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4X20 to keep the aesthetics just right ... must admit though that putting a "gold-plated" scope like that on a "$100 rifle: is kind of a mis-match - lol ! In the long run I'll probably put one of the laminated wooden buttstocks and forearms on it ... that'll give me the opportunity to do a little of my usual "Whittling and Gluing" to make it fit me. Who knows , I might even get carried away and turn it into a "Poor Mans' Schuetzen" with scalloped cheekpiece and palm rest ... it sort of begs for something like that. Just what I need at my age ... start on a whole new line of Fuzzy's Projects !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

#4 ·
Follow up ...

... to the above thoughts ... ! The Weaver rail came in this mornings' mail ... put it on after dinner this evening, along with the Thumber. Popped on the 4X BUSHNELL - ( I said Burris in the earlier post ... just knew it was a B-something, no pun intebnded !) - and went out to sight it in. First two shots were touching at 25 yards, although about 4" out of POA. A few - like 50-60 - clicks later it was putting everything pluimb centre of the CMP target bull.

10 shots in about a 0.35" group with bulk CCI HP MiniMags, hand-held off the bench ... for an inexpensive "fun plinker" this is going to be a great "behind-the-back-door" little gun ! Maybe - just maybe - I can keep the kids' hands off it ... or is that wishful thinking ?

Mick - Ther Fuzzy Limey

#7 ·
Couldn't resist ...

... starting yet another "new Fuzzy's Project ! Rather than offering up that large a portion of my "monthly Federal Handout to Antique Personnel" for a custom buttstock, I started tracing out patterns on index cardstock. Plugged in the trusty jigsaw table and, defying all calls from SWMBO as to the dust problem. started cutting out itty-bitty micro-plywood shapes.

As of this evening, the plastic stock now sports a laminated cheekpiece, and Monte Carlo "hump" ... all contoured to my face, and to put my right eye in line with the scope eyepice. It still needs a couple more laminates on the right-hand side of the Monte Carlo though to give a roll-over effect. Getting the correct eye relief with this - and several other scopes - has proven to be a problem. The LOP of the H&R buttstock is rather long at 14-1/4 inches ... and the standard H&R Weaver rail has limited rearwards extension. I normally use an LOP around 13-1/2 to 13-3/4 inches, and my only "extended/offset rings" are not really tall enough for comfort.

Next pieces to be cut and glued will form a "split two-piece" deepening of the forearm to bring its' lower edge down in line with the bottom of the trigger guard. This will aid in Offhand shooting, and properly contoured, not detract from Prone position stuff. Am sort of hustling on this project as we are planning on running a trial attempt at my new "Fuzzy Limey Challenge" course of fire at CRC next Saturday. I have had a few trial runs on my home range thus far ... as of now, Magical is duplicating his success in the CMP Nationals - lol !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

#10 · (Edited)
The Sportster Project ... !

Since starting this thread a while back I 've gone through several series of "improvements" to the little rifle. The action almost "tuned itself" ... originally I blew it out using high pressure air and several squirts of Brake cleaner . This was followed up by a few "puffs" of micro-fine Graphite powder, and a hour or two watching TV whilst operating the trigger and holding the hammer back.

The next task was turning the furniture section into a more forgiving 3-P Mode configuration, by adding aircraft ply laminates and suitable adhesives.

Here are a few pics of the intiial work ...

Then moving on to the first "Finished 3-P Configuration" ...

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Later ... after using it in "trial" CMP events on my home range, and FLC matches at CRC, I found that my Rapid Fire stages could be speeded up by devising a "New and Improved" spare round carrier. At the same time some minor stock contour changes were incorporated.

The "wood and rubber" ammo carrier assembly was short-lived as the ply delaminated. It has now been repleced by an easily removable and positionable all-metal affair. Pics of this will follow later. Regretfully, antiquity and fumbling fingers have still not let me get the required 5 shots off in the CMP allotted time ... I'm now down to 32 seconds ... an adept youngster could probably do it though !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

#13 ·
I just ordered a Sportster in 22 Magnum. I have a synthetic Handi Rifle in 357 magmum. The 357 has a good trigger but I really appreciate the info in case the 22 mag does not. I am a fan of shotgun scopes on rimfire rifles. They have the parallax set at 50 to 75 yards depending on the brand. Konus scopes have been pretty decent for me at a reasonable price. The 1-4x shotgun and the 2-7x rimfire are a good choice along with the 2.5x shotgun scope. The size does not overpower the rimfire rifles.
http://swfa.com/Konus-Konuspro-Riflescopes-C3331.aspx

#17 ·
Finally got all the parts together to set up the 22 mag Sportser. I had a few problems. The middle filler screw on the action would not come out. I put a putty dam around it and let it soak in penetrating oil overnight. Still would not budge. I had to drill it out and clean it up with a 6/40 tap. I got the scope mount installed with blue locktite. I noticed the rear iron sight was out of alignment. It was loose in the slot. I replaced it with a left over 10-22 sight. I had to use extra high rings to clear the hammer. The scope is a Cabelas 3-9x40 rimfire with a bdc for 22 mag. Rally good deal on that. 50% off and 25% additional discount plus free shipping. I picked up one for a 22lr at the same time so using club points it cost me $30 out of pocket for both scopes shipped. I padded the stock 3/4" so it comes up perfectly. No hunting for the reticle. Now to get it to the range. I have family coming for Christmass so I will be tied up for the next week.

#18 · (Edited)
Sights

JTJ wrote: "I noticed the rear iron sight was out of alignment. It was loose in the slot. I replaced it with a left over 10-22 sight."

Same thing with my .22LR - not only could it rotate slightly in the dovetail, but the rear sight had to be set to the topmost step on the elevator to come close to zero elevation (too tall a front blade). I found the sight picture across the original sights to be quite accurate, at least in deflection, but there was too much possibility of movement with the rear. I replaced the rear with a long Marble Bullseye sight. In order to zero the Bullsye at the second step up on the elevator, I had to trim the tall front blade. At about the same time I ordered a new front sight from H&R, just to have a spare. When it arrived, it was shorter than my original and only 0.001" different after trimming. I'll admit that the Bullseye doesn't force accuracy as much as the open leaf rear, but at least it won't move once properly drifted, and, it adds 1/2" of sight radius. If I someday choose to replace the Bullseye, it will be with a Marble Sporting #66 (Flat Top). With that I will have to replace (by weld bead) 0.11" to the top of the original trimmed front.

With thoughts of occasional rabbit hunting, I am adding an optical aid - a fast-acquisition, TruGlo, open, red dot sight on a shortened-by-2" H&R Weaver rail (no cantilevering in space out over the barrel contour and no hammer interference). No eye relief issues either. As has been said, the non-Monte Carlo Sportster stock does not lend itself to proper eye alignment with a scope or red dot. A strap-on Accu-Riser™ #4000 takes care of that, and is easily removed for when I want to go dot-less & rail-less for open iron shooting.

BULL

#19 ·
I took it out today and ran into an additional problem. It was very hard to open after firing. The release on the action was working fine but the lock up on the barrel was poorly finished. I cleaned it up and removed a small burr. Opening is a little smoother but I wont know if it is fixed until I shoot it again. It appears to be very accurate at least with Winchester 40 grain HP. I called H&R and complained. I also suggested they look into changing the chamber on the 223 to 5.56x45, chambering the Sportser in 17WSM and bringing out the 357 and 44 mag with iron sights and a smooth bore accessory barrel.

Attachments

#22 ·
No. The forearm was not the problem. It opened freely until it was fired??? Opened freely after it was emptied. A 22 mag is not that powerful. My 357 works fine. The release on the action is fully retracting when it is open. I need to get it to the range again to see if it is fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.