Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:17 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATFE AND THEIR RULES

I went to the ATF site and tried to send them a message/question but of course you fill out their form and hit submit, and..........., nothing.
I guess they have no interest in serving the citizens.

Anyhow, I'll ask my question here and if it looks promising, I'll break down and call them.

So, I have a Lincoln Derringer (45 caliber) that I would like to bore out and make it a smooth bore for what I think would make an excellent snake killer with bird shot.

Since the ATF and the state of Georgia both say that muzzle loaders are NOT firearms, shouldn't this be legal??
Anyone ever done it??
How about some opinions.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:20 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My opinion is "If you are right, you are right. If you are wrong you go to jail." I suppose finding out depends on how much you want to shoot those snakes.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:00 PM
carbineone
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would say you are fine doing that as they are not firearms per the ATF, a muzzle loader with antique ignition,and do not shoot a self contained cartridge..But I guess I have to ask, why not just shoot the pellets in the rifled barrel in the first place?
Old 10-31-2021, 08:13 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
I would say you are fine doing that as they are not firearms per the ATF, a muzzle loader with antique ignition,and do not shoot a self contained cartridge..But I guess I have to ask, why not just shoot the pellets in the rifled barrel in the first place?
I've never tried it in the derringer, but I've shot 22 magnum shot shells in my old six shooter and it looks like I'm shooting donuts.
The derringer just sits on a shelf in the hallway and needs to start earning its keep.
Ya know, being dusted once in a while.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:28 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
I would say you are fine doing that as they are not firearms per the ATF, a muzzle loader with antique ignition,and do not shoot a self contained cartridge..
Exactly as Carbineone says Bugeye, it's unregulated by the feds. Bore it out, blow away snakes, have fun. You won't be breaking any federal laws.

Look at the Diablo 12 gauge pistol. Perfectly legal. https://americanguncraft.com/product...-finish-grips/

Frank
Old 11-19-2021, 12:43 AM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A lot of them were smoothbores to begin with. Once it's bored out no one could ever tell if it was not originally a smoothbore. There's probably not an ATF agent who would have a clue. If you did ask the ATF they wouldn't have an answer. Legal no matter how you look at it.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:21 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, based on the responses here, Iím gonna try and find a small rotary stone.
I prefer to grind rather than use a drill bit, but will if I have to.

Right now Iím bedridden with my back but I should be good to go in a couple of days.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2021, 03:24 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Exactly as Carbineone says Bugeye, it's unregulated by the feds. Bore it out, blow away snakes, have fun. You won't be breaking any federal laws.

Look at the Diablo 12 gauge pistol. Perfectly legal. https://americanguncraft.com/product...-finish-grips/

Frank
Now those are some nice pistols.
I think I paid $19.95 for my pistol kit 30 or 40 years ago.