Looking into building a left hand flintlock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2021, 12:57 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looking into building a left hand flintlock



Log in to see fewer ads
Yeah...
Ran into a guy named Ray..
He builds custom flintlocks..
Him and his buddy mike..are teaching a class in May..
I've signed up..
Basically..they giving me a maple board..
A colerain swamped .40 caliber 42" barrel and a Jim chambers left handed lock.
And build a southern mountain poor boy rifle.
Looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2021, 02:53 PM
'ol shooter's Avatar
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Oct 2010
Location: 
So Cal
Posts: 
10,017
TPC Rating: 
100% (137)
Post pics from start to finish as you go, pretty please.
__________________
Bob B.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2021, 10:02 AM
toomanyguns's Avatar
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2006
Location: 
Mena, AR
Posts: 
3,010
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Post pics from start to finish as you go, pretty please.
^ This !!!

Hope it turns out well. Southern Mountain Poor Boy, although there are different degrees of "poor", is my preferred style. With a swamped barrel, etc. your rifle might be a little on the rich end of the scale.
__________________
I like them all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2021, 08:13 AM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rich ??
Maybe...your right ?
I really don't know that much about them...
But I do know ...I just want simple.
I'm a total greenhorn.
Most likely be iron mounted.
No patch box..
On the other hand.. I've been looking at alot of videos.. there's a guy on utube called black powder TV..
He has a kibler kit.. that's drop dead gorgeous.
Plain style.
If kibler would build a left handed kid..
I'd own it now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2021, 10:11 AM
toomanyguns's Avatar
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2006
Location: 
Mena, AR
Posts: 
3,010
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An extremely simple poor boy would not only not have a patch box, it might not even have a butt plate. (I timed myself one time when fitting a butt plate -- 8 hours, and that was a purchased butt plate and not hand forged.)

Some poor boys had just a toe plate and maybe a comb plate, and some had nothing at all on the butt.

Some only had a single ramrod pipe close to the muzzle and most had no nose cap.

Very few had double set triggers -- just a single trigger with a very simple trigger guard.

Barrel was straight (not swamped) in a crude stock.

Poor boy furniture was usually forged iron w/o any brass, German silver, etc.

I think what a lot of people consider to be a poor boy is something a little less fancy than an inlayed and engraved Pennsylvania rifle and with a certain shape to the stock (Southern Mountain style, for example).

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have studied muzzleloaders some and have built 20+ rifles, shotguns, and pistols; most were poor boy variations.

Some day, I would like to build a really crude poor boy as simple as possible.

Building a ML is an interesting process. Hope yours turns out well, you enjoy the experience, and it shoots well.
__________________
I like them all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2021, 12:57 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
An extremely simple poor boy would not only not have a patch box, it might not even have a butt plate. (I timed myself one time when fitting a butt plate -- 8 hours, and that was a purchased butt plate and not hand forged.)

Some poor boys had just a toe plate and maybe a comb plate, and some had nothing at all on the butt.

Some only had a single ramrod pipe close to the muzzle and most had no nose cap.

Very few had double set triggers -- just a single trigger with a very simple trigger guard.

Barrel was straight (not swamped) in a crude stock.

Poor boy furniture was usually forged iron w/o any brass, German silver, etc.

I think what a lot of people consider to be a poor boy is something a little less fancy than an inlayed and engraved Pennsylvania rifle and with a certain shape to the stock (Southern Mountain style, for example).

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have studied muzzleloaders some and have built 20+ rifles, shotguns, and pistols; most were poor boy variations.

Some day, I would like to build a really crude poor boy as simple as possible.

Building a ML is an interesting process. Hope yours turns out well, you enjoy the experience, and it shoots well.


I'm definitely going to have fun with this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2021, 01:12 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,930
TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I hope your build goes faster than mine.
I started a transitional LH Jaeger (sort of half-fast Edward Marshall) oh, about 1999 or 2000, and at this point, I'm about 45-50% done.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2021, 01:42 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2011
Location: 
Yuma, Az.
Posts: 
1,235
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Poor boy. Iron mounted, no butt plate or nose cap, no embellishments. My idea of a good rifle or smoothbore.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2021, 03:08 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
Poor boy. Iron mounted, no butt plate or nose cap, no embellishments. My idea of a good rifle or smoothbore.

I like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8934_HH_full_1613419649264.jpg (109.7 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2021, 04:14 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,930
TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I like this
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
An extremely simple poor boy would not only not have a patch box, it might not even have a butt plate. (I timed myself one time when fitting a butt plate -- 8 hours, and that was a purchased butt plate and not hand forged.)

Some poor boys had just a toe plate and maybe a comb plate, and some had nothing at all on the butt.

Some only had a single ramrod pipe close to the muzzle and most had no nose cap.

Very few had double set triggers -- just a single trigger with a very simple trigger guard.

Barrel was straight (not swamped) in a crude stock.

Poor boy furniture was usually forged iron w/o any brass, German silver, etc.

I think what a lot of people consider to be a poor boy is something a little less fancy than an inlayed and engraved Pennsylvania rifle and with a certain shape to the stock (Southern Mountain style, for example).

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have studied muzzleloaders some and have built 20+ rifles, shotguns, and pistols; most were poor boy variations.

Some day, I would like to build a really crude poor boy as simple as possible.

Building a ML is an interesting process. Hope yours turns out well, you enjoy the experience, and it shoots well.



Looking forward to trying this out.
Thanks for the kind words.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM
toomanyguns's Avatar
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2006
Location: 
Mena, AR
Posts: 
3,010
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I like this
I like it also. Even though it is a poor boy, it is very well done.

The grease hole in place of a patch box is a nice touch. I have built two rifles with grease holes. I personally believe that sometimes they are more practical than a patch box and much easier to do.
__________________
I like them all.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2021, 01:48 PM
Bob4BVM
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2011
Location: 
W. Orygun
Posts: 
3,089
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
I like it also. Even though it is a poor boy, it is very well done.

The grease hole in place of a patch box is a nice touch. I have built two rifles with grease holes. I personally believe that sometimes they are more practical than a patch box and much easier to do.
Yes
Plus you can always easily convert a grease hole to a patch box if you want
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
Edmonton
Posts: 
478
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Left hand 32 caliber Flint Squirrel gun built many years ago. It really isn't much harder to build this than a poor boy.







Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 AM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
6,266
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Left hand 32 caliber Flint Squirrel gun built many years ago. It really isn't much harder to build this than a poor boy.










That is GORGEOUS!!
thanks for sharing your rifle!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x