Federal Squibs - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 11-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Posts: 
1,086
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
I am sorry you have a problem with the public in general, that is not my fault.

As far as you and I --- I don't see where I gave you cause to get all sideways. You talked about what happened at " our local Gunshops and how WE kept ammo on hand and how you seemed to be handy to demonstrate function at these gunshops during hundreds of instances " over the years" I simply asked a question about ownership and your employment at these numerous gunshops. It did appear that you owned them or at least were responsible for what they carried as in "we" used to keep! So I think that was fair. I think it was good to have you at all of those shops so you could help people who made a mistake out.

You also talked about "over the years" this would indicate you have experience with a multitude of different junk ammo. You also seem to be up to date as as well. So once again I think it was fair to ask you to share your experiences on ammo that you have found to be junk!

I didn't think I was taking too much liberty when I said I would put you down as not recommending 800 round Federal to be used in firearms as you definitely referred to them as crap.

if I have questions I generally ask them and I try not to be unkind. I didn't mean to rile you and if you don't want to be questioned about anything you say, you should have said so. Now, that I am aware of it, I won't ask you anymore.

It's really not any of my business and I am sure you will agree with that, but just a friendly offer of advice going forward. You may find the General public somewhat easier to deal with if you don't refer to them as Stupid, Morons, and Dense as you have done on this thread.

Last edited by Lerrab; 11-30-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Signmaster is online now
US Marines Veteran

Join Date: 
Sep 2020
Location: 
Virginia Beach
Posts: 
604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Not an eggspurt but it sounded like primer only with no muzzle report in a bolt action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkn View Post
In shooting tens of thousands of rounds over a lifetime the only one I ever had (with hearing protection in place) didn't make any noise at all. I pulled the casing expecting to see an intact round with a primer strike, inspected it to see no bullet, and proceeded to pull the bolt to look down the barrel at a bullet lodged about an inch from the muzzle. End of shooting for that range day, as I had no rod with me to clear the barrel. Moral of the story: when things don't seem right find out why.
gkn
Thanks for the input. As I've never fired one, I didn't know if it would more likely be painfully obvious or not.

At the same time, I have to wonder if the conditions would allow it to not always be detected at certain times. If the range is busy there is a lot of noise, and it's not always easy to notice which one was yours. With a heavy rifle on a bench, the recoil is almost nothing, so not much input there either.



As for "junk" ammo, I would personally think that any ammo so poorly made as to cause squibs with any frequency in the average firearm wouldn't be produced for very long. The company would be sued so often they would have to change something for the better.

I would hope that nobody would continue selling ammo that they felt would be likely to produce a squib on any type of regular basis.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-30-2021, 03:44 PM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
3,059
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 45 years of shooting, I've only witnessed one single squib. A guy a few lanes over had one in his .357 revolver. Fortunately, he was smart enough to stop pulling the trigger.

Turns out, the failing round was one of his own reloads. Probably missed adding a powder charge.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-30-2021, 05:28 PM
copterdrvr's Avatar
copterdrvr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2012
Location: 
Louisiana
Posts: 
634
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shot in my club match two weeks ago and two of my buds that I’ve been shooting with for five years had a bunch of gun malfunctions which is extremely rare for these guys as they always finish in the top five-helped me out because I cleaned one of them on the dueling tree stage! Match uses both pistol and rifle and they had trouble with both.

One of them had picked up four boxes of new manufacture ammo and the other bought two of them which they both shot in the match. They were shooting Federal Auto Match. Seems weird how some people get their panties in a twist when you criticize from personal experience ammo that barely qualifies as “plinking ammo”. If you haven’t had ANY issues, good on ya-buy some lottery tickets!!! 😎
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Posts: 
1,086
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't had my panties in a twist since the 60's. If you will take notice I am never getting all red faced in these discussions, I rather enjoy speaking about things with young chaps like yourself, I really do. I have fun and am about to have some more!

I will say that for guys shooting for years and being so great at it, You would have thought they would have known better to even shoot ammo in a match that you say barely qualifies as plinking ammo!!! Glad to hear that you CLEANED one of them, Though I never really understood what that had to do with anything other than you wanted to get that out there! I'm still not sure if you were demonstrating your expert ability with firearms or he pooped himself???

Last edited by Lerrab; 11-30-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-30-2021, 09:39 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
yankeeville, Yooperland
Posts: 
1,019,120
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Thanks for the input. As I've never fired one, I didn't know if it would more likely be painfully obvious or not.

At the same time, I have to wonder if the conditions would allow it to not always be detected at certain times. If the range is busy there is a lot of noise, and it's not always easy to notice which one was yours. With a heavy rifle on a bench, the recoil is almost nothing, so not much input there either.
I don't shoot at a range with the public thus no problems with extracurricular noise from other shooters.
__________________
You carry a gun so you are hard to kill... know the law so you are hard to convict.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Nolan

Join Date: 
Mar 2011
Location: 
Milpitas, Ca.
Posts: 
1,371
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
I am sorry you have a problem with the public in general, that is not my fault.

As far as you and I --- I don't see where I gave you cause to get all sideways. You talked about what happened at " our local Gunshops and how WE kept ammo on hand and how you seemed to be handy to demonstrate function at these gunshops during hundreds of instances " over the years" I simply asked a question about ownership and your employment at these numerous gunshops. It did appear that you owned them or at least were responsible for what they carried as in "we" used to keep! So I think that was fair. I think it was good to have you at all of those shops so you could help people who made a mistake out.

You also talked about "over the years" this would indicate you have experience with a multitude of different junk ammo. You also seem to be up to date as as well. So once again I think it was fair to ask you to share your experiences on ammo that you have found to be junk!

I didn't think I was taking too much liberty when I said I would put you down as not recommending 800 round Federal to be used in firearms as you definitely referred to them as crap.

if I have questions I generally ask them and I try not to be unkind. I didn't mean to rile you and if you don't want to be questioned about anything you say, you should have said so. Now, that I am aware of it, I won't ask you anymore.

It's really not any of my business and I am sure you will agree with that, but just a friendly offer of advice going forward. You may find the General public somewhat easier to deal with if you don't refer to them as Stupid, Morons, and Dense as you have done on this thread.
LOL! Where's the like button?


Nolan
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-02-2021, 07:33 PM
Nolan

Join Date: 
Mar 2011
Location: 
Milpitas, Ca.
Posts: 
1,371
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
*I poked em out with a wooden dowel but perhaps shooting em out with a Stinger or Velocitor would work.

*post was in jest kids, do not try this at home.
Hmm, with all these reports of squibs, maybe I should start carrying a box of nail gun blanks with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFm-qivOSGw

Nolan
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-03-2021, 05:42 AM
gr8guns's Avatar
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2002
Posts: 
2,561
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Did you make contact ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJT50 View Post
How did you get a hold of them?

I have made a submission on their web page as well as calling them and being told they will call back for last 2 weeks and NOTHING....
I have a check I received for the ammunition and the sales tax. Communications were by e-mail. They had the ammo picked up at my home, and I received the check about three weeks after.
Did you call or make contact with Federal after the first attempt ? Sometimes, communications fail, even in normal times. They will take care of the situation, I think, just call them back or try e-mail again.

Last edited by gr8guns; 12-03-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-03-2021, 05:57 AM
gr8guns's Avatar
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2002
Posts: 
2,561
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
E-mail was used for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike454 View Post
I'm sitting on 4000 rounds of this ammo. no two rounds same the same and have stuck several bullets in the barrel. Have had no luck in getting federal to call me back to tell me how to get this stuff replaced.
They used email to converse with me. I never tried phoning them. They asked that I e-mail them after I had the ammo boxed up. UPS picked the ammo up at my home, and gave me a receipt. It did take a week for them to get back to me after the first e-mail I sent in.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2003
Location: 
Tampa Bay
Posts: 
192
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I have a check I received for the ammunition and the sales tax. Communications were by e-mail. They had the ammo picked up at my home, and I received the check about three weeks after.
Did you call or make contact with Federal after the first attempt ? Sometimes, communications fail, even in normal times. They will take care of the situation, I think, just call them back or try e-mail again.
Thanks for response. I have been calling them twice a week since 10/28, to the point the receptionist knows my voice. I have even resorted to requesting speaking to a supervisor and still nothing. I'm running out of "honey" and it's hard not to get upset with them. I just want the ammo replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Mythbuster

Join Date: 
Apr 2021
Posts: 
149
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post



As for "junk" ammo, I would personally think that any ammo so poorly made as to cause squibs with any frequency in the average firearm wouldn't be produced for very long. The company would be sued so often they would have to change something for the better.

I would hope that nobody would continue selling ammo that they felt would be likely to produce a squib on any type of regular basis.
the vast majority of this crap is sold by places like Walmart. I can't prove it but I firmly believe that Walmart tends to get their worst lots of rimfire ammo. I have seen many cases over the years where a certain brand of bulk ammo was available at both the local Walmart and at local gunshops. In most every case the ammo from Walmart was always much worse. I especially remember back around the year 2000 or so the local Walmart had Winchester Xpert for about ten bucks a brick. It was by far the worst ammo ever produced by a major US manufacturer. No semi auto could possibly work with this ammo and several rounds in a brick would have just enough powder charge to allow the bullet to exit the bore. If you were lucky. A gun dealers wholesale cost on this ammo was more than what Walmart sold it for so you didn't see a lot of it in local gunshops. But when it did show up it was much better quality than the same ammo at Walmart. I have noticed that it seems the lots of the federal 800 round packs that came from Walmart tended to be worse than the ones bought elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Posts: 
1,086
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wholesale is not the lowest price, you have distributor pricing which is lower and then you have Walmart pricing.

The rumor that walmart ammo is any different from other ammo is just that a rumor. mostly started by Gunshop owners, employees, and folks that just hung out at Gunshops. It was started because of what I mentioned above it is nearly impossible to compete with Walmart on a price basis.

I can just imagine Mr. Ammo manufacturer giving the sales pitch to Mr Walmart. Sir; we make some really bad lots of ammo from time to time and will give you a great deal on them, not only do they shoot poorly some are downright dangerous, , the bullet may make it out of the barrel of a gun if one is lucky! We here at the factory are not overly concerned with our reputation or the fact that we may injure our customers and we always welcome lawsuits! At which time Mr. Walmart replies " same here! I will have trucks here in the morning, now remember don't let anyone else have them!" If you believe that than you probably still believe in the tooth fairy!

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
onemountain's Avatar
onemountain

Join Date: 
May 2010
Location: 
SE AK, off-road, off-grid
Posts: 
545
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've probably fired less than 20k rimfire cartridges in my lifetime, and have had a couple squibs.

One was a Remington Thunderbolt that got stuck in a Remington 597 right at the muzzle (actually partially protruding). It was from a bulk pack that had a lot of audible variation in noise, clearly a QC issue. I was brand new to shooting but had the presence of mind to check the barrel when there was an odd sounding round and no dust splash at the target. Took the ammo back to the LGS I got it from and they took care of me and said they'd contact Remington about it. Never heard what resulted on their end, didn't much care because they replaced the Thunderfarts on a 1:1 basis with the Minimags I hadn't been able to afford in the first place

The other was an Aguila high velocity round (can't remember sub-brand, Super Xtra maybe?) that got stuck in a Remington 510, also right at the muzzle. Really surprised me, as the rest of the brick shot quite well from that gun, unlike the above Thunderbolts that were noticeably wonky.

I've actually had perhaps a dozen more squib rounds that those two, but I don't count them, as they were me experimenting with shorts, longs, and CCI Quiets in my CZ 455 UltraLux (28.6" bbl) during a previous ammo shortage and they all had warnings not to use in barrels that long.

And no, I didn't shoot any of them out lol.
__________________
Type and let typo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x