Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Perfect Handgun For The Avid Rifleman?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  TMW99577 
#1 · (Edited)
Or…at 3.5 lbs, the perfect walk-around varmint rifle?

While I'm not much of a handgun guy, I admit to being a .22 Hornet fanatic (root word to fan). I get a little weak in the knees when I see nice Hornets, maybe not to the extent of rimfires, but pretty darned close…sometimes more…this one is probably a "sometimes more" example.

I have mildly coveted the Anschutz Exemplar Hornets. Whoever designed that stock understood something of aesthetics and functionality. They just look so wickedly rakish to me. I've had several opportunities to buy one but never did; I am, after all, a rifle enthusiast. So, when I was approached about this unique version of the Exemplar, with original box and silhouette sights, I took the plunge. The mirror image, left-hand action gives me slight pause everytime I look at it.

The unique comment involves the uniquely faceted receiver, the lighter and slightly shorter barrel with about as sexy a contour as I can imagine (no doubt both for weight savings), and the single-shot configuration. Some of you may even remember a thread on this gun here.

So, did Anschutz do all this? I don't think there is any doubt about it. First, the unique barrel configuration is clearly stamped "Exemplar-Hornet" on the tapered-down, minor diameter end. This font matches the Anschutz font for the Exemplar (and who else would go to the trouble?). Second, both the serial number (also in Anschutz numerals) and the importer's mark (ISS Fort Worth, TX), are rolled into one of the facets. So, it was serial numbered after faceting, almost certainly leaving Germany that way, and it was imported that way. Yes, I suppose someone could replicate all that and reblue the whole thing, but why? The serial number matches the original Anschutz box, by the way.

On the single-shot configuration, some had opined on the previous thread that Anschutz would not do that, because the loading ramp was left in the white. Maybe. But Anschutz leaves most of its aluminum trigger housings and some trigger finger pieces in the white, and I don't recall many aluminum Anschutz parts that were anodized…maybe some target sight parts??? In any event, the bottom metal is left completely solid for the single-shot configuration (certainly no evidence someone plugged the mortise in a standard repeating 54 bottom plate to make this), which, to me, speaks to originality. We also know Anschutz did/does do custom work for some customers. So, I'm proclaiming it an original Anschutz. Even if it is not, however, I don't really care, because this is one sweet handling and sweet looking Exemplar.

I already have a Burris 3-12X32 handgun scope with the "ballistic plex" reticle on the way. Yes, a 12X pistol scope :eek:

Enjoy:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Wood Trigger Creative arts Gun accessory Office equipment

Wood Material property Cylinder Publication Natural material

Musical instrument Automotive tire Wood Bumper Publication

Wood Natural material Shotgun Metal Wood stain

I also scored several pounds of H110, probably the perfect powder for a handgun Hornet. Out of a 9" barrel, it supposedly gives a 40 grain bullet 2500 FPS, which is right there with (probably better than) the original Hornet ballistics that made it the darling of Landis and other eastern woodchuck shooters of the day.

TBR

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
That is way cool! I remember seeing Exemplar Hornets in the catalog, but I don't remember that barrel configuration. If you want more info about it you can call Neal at ISS, he'll know.
I found my Exemplar .22LR to be easier to shoot with a rifle scope than a handgun scope, even offhand. There's a lot of iron there to be hanging at the end of your arm and I would think the recoil of the Hornet might still be manageable (maybe not with that light barrel). I'd wear double ear protection though.
I shoot with a guy who uses a Hornet in a Contender, many do in Silhouette, and it's muzzle blast is truly obnoxious. I don't know what his load is but it's worse than other Contender Hornets and seems every bit as obnoxious as a .223 Contender (with, I assume, a modest load).

#8 ·
That is way cool! I remember seeing Exemplar Hornets in the catalog, but I don't remember that barrel configuration. If you want more info about it you can call Neal at ISS, he'll know. I found my Exemplar .22LR to be easier to shoot with a rifle scope than a handgun scope, even offhand. There's a lot of iron there to be hanging at the end of your arm and I would think the recoil of the Hornet might still be manageable (maybe not with that light barrel). I'd wear double ear protection though. I shoot with a guy who uses a Hornet in a Contender, many do in Silhouette, and it's muzzle blast is truly obnoxious. I don't know what his load is but it's worse than other Contender Hornets and seems every bit as obnoxious as a .223 Contender (with, I assume, a modest load).[/QUOTE]

That's a very unusual Exemplar, and a pretty one as well. I've never seen another chambered in Hornet. I'm with Motiva re hearing protection and muzzle blast, though. Should be "interesting" to say the least, considering that short barrel. Not to take the thread off-track, but as I read Motiva's post, I couldn't help thinking about my Contender with a 10" 30-30Win barrel. I shot silhouette with it for many years, and did OK with it. Now THAT one has a TRULY obnoxious muzzle blast/fireball. Comparing the Hornet to that 30-30 is probably more like comparing a birthday candle to a flamethrower:D

#9 ·
Nice looking unit TBR. I've looked at XP100's many times and really wanted to get one many times in 221 FB but never had the cash at the right time when the deals came up... some of the custom XP100s were beautiful pieces but this Exemplar is on a different level IMO...

Looking at the wood work on your new acquisition I would be surprised if you don't come up with a new hand built stock that compliments that sexy Anschutz metal work better than the factory wood...
In any case it should be a kick to shoot....

Bob

#10 ·
Being a lefty I've shied away from the left side bolt Anschutz pistols. The XP-100's work well for me though. The Hornet does work well in the pistols. I haven't played with a 10 inch one only a T/C with one of the old Fox Ridge custom shop 15 inch barrels. With the 22 Hornet 17/221 Fireball and 223 Rem getting the muzzle blast a bit farther away seems to decrease the blast. I doubt it actually does though. A fair number of these pistols shooters (Exemplar, T/C, XP-100) seem to like using a rifle scope on them. I have trouble with the narrow field of view so stick with the pistol version scopes. The Burris 3-12X that lives on my 223 Contender is a pretty nice scope. At 12X you just have to tell your self that you shake that much at 3X you just can't tell. Looking at your photos the close ups tend to make one think the pistol couldn't possibly be good looking but then you look at the whole and it comes together well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.