Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ambidextrous Safety

10K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  ResilientArms 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for an ambidextrous safety for the Tippman? I love the rifle but really need it to be set up for right or left handed use.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I am looking for the ambi safety on your website and it still shows as unavailable? Has It been discontinued, or just still unavailable? any ideas as to when it might be in stock? A notify button for out of stock items might be a great idea. i check the site weekly and really need this safety.

Tks

#5 ·
The Tippmann Ambi-Selector Switch works just fine in a M4-22 Elite.

First Remove grip to remove detent parts, be careful to NOT loose those small parts. There are 3 parts to look for: spring w/metal cap found in grip. Detent from receiver small part with "head" & pointy end. Note relationship of these parts.
Begin:
Trick is to remove the HAMMER /spring first....this allows trigger group to move 'nuff to allow factory selector switch to come out.
2nd-Install left side of Ambi into place & then right side. It was suggested to use BLUE locktite on screw holding Rt side of selecter in place. Don't over tighten!

Now, Reinstall HAMMER/Spring (use a slave pin to guide/hold this into place to allow easier replacement of pin).
Check selector to be sure it moves (firmly) & detents (clicks into place) properly.
Hint: Hammer must be cocked for selector to move.

Congratulations you now have a working Ambi-Selector Switch.

#7 ·
I don't know why they're still advertising the safety as proprietary. On at least the newer Tippmann Arms AR M4-22 Elite it was a standard safety (it was just plastic). I replaced it with a Noveske STS.

A couple things to note:

Check which safety detent you have. If its the 3 piece version (two metal pieces and the spring), then I assume its proprietary (although I'm going off pictures of the parts, and not actually seeing it first hand). If its a standard milspec 2 parts (spring and detent) then try a different safety. Mine was extremely tight sliding in the first time (I think they either undersized the diameter of the safety passthrough, or they just don't follow milspec dimensions because they only use their own plastic safety selector).

I replaced the detent, spring, and grip to ensure I was swapping over for all milspec parts. I kept the grip screw as the thread pitch looked different. Some safety springs take some time to break in. ALWAYS do multiple, unloaded, (and I usually do this before I put the upper back on) function checks of the safety.

All of this is done at your own risk/liability.

#9 ·
I actually had the exact opposite issue. I'm running the newer pistol kind so I can only speak for that, but the Noveske/magpul one was very tight. Since then it works flawlessly. I kind of doubt that guy's safety selector is actually milspec OR he's on one of the older style of safety selector. I know Tippman did change things, but I can't figure out when they did, and if they changed it for all the guns or only the pistol variants. About 250-300 rounds through it so far and it's still working great. Not too tight, not too loose and its not feeling like it's loosening up beyond the normal selector break in period.

I need to get some time on the Bridgeport to fab up an adapter to run a Radian Raptor ambi on my Tippman though. The original charging handle is annoying me, everything else is great.

#10 ·
appreciate the fast response.

hm. ok i'll just give it a shot then since i have a recent build pistol elite from them. what would need to be modified for a raptor, is it as "simple" as cutting a middle section out of the charging handle to get it to be a little shorter?

#11 ·
No, that will be a much more involved process. I'll need to mill the raptor's sides down probably 2-3 thou since its too wide (also in case its not clear this is using the Radian Raptor 15-22 made for the S&W 15-22) and then I need to mill a piece out of aluminum block that I'll weld or epoxy into the charging handle. (Welding aluminum isn't fun so probably epoxy) It's going to be a bit of a process and then after all that I still don't have any guarantee's it'll actually work.

The 15-22 using more of a traditional style charging handle where the bolt sticks up and catches the charging handle.

The Tippman is the reverse of this. The charging handle has a piece that protrudes down and catching a cut into the bolt.

#20 · (Edited)
So fun fact. Radian hasn't made any 15-22 Raptors over the last year. I had everything drawn up in CAD and I was actually tempted to just try making one from scratch when I came across this. No where does it say Radian but I'm 90% sure these are Radian made in a limited run for Resilient. I got it in the mail and the feel is identical to the Radian.

Black - OOS - Resilient Arms M4-22 Ambidextrous Charging Handle Black IN STOCK! - Resilient Arms
FDE - In Stock - Resilient Arms M4-22 Ambidextrous Charging Handle FDE IN STOCK! - Resilient Arms
Red - In Stock - Resilient Arms M4-22 Ambidextrous Charging Handle US Marine Corp Red IN STOCK! - Resilient Arms
Tungsten - OOS - Resilient Arms M4-22 Ambidextrous Charging Handle Tungsten IN STOCK! - Resilient Arms
Blue - In Stock - Resilient Arms M4-22 Ambidextrous Charging Handle NRA Blue IN STOCK! - Resilient Arms

Tippman OEM Black - NOT Radian style - In Stock - Tippmann Arms OEM M4-22 Aluminum Ambidextrous Charging Handle - Resilient Arms

EDIT - Look at Resilient Arms reply on page 2. Not Radian but very well made with very similar feel. added style in the last line to clarify none of them are radian. 10/10 would recommend both resilient and their ambi charging handle!

#14 ·
New to the thread - was looking for some official info from Tippmann on the ambi safety - they don't seem to have it on their site.

I see the one on resilient arms is shorter on the right side so I'd like to find one with equal lengths. I see some in the thread have used aftermarket selectors with mixed results.

Is there anything official from Tippmann on this? I.e. what can we use in the M4-22LR?

Also open to any suggestions folks might have if there are options...

Thanks,
Brian

#15 ·
Tippmann made some changes to there line up recently. Any lower that is 20000 or above, (usually referred to as post 20k) can now use mil-spec selectors and a lot more of the drop in triggers with out modification.

Pre 20k lowers can only use selectors available from Tippmann without modification. Haven't seen the pre 20k selectors on Tippmanns website in awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.