Buck Mark FTF - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:56 PM
Steve K
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Buck Mark FTF

I have a Buck Mark Bullseye and I changed the barrel to Tactical Solutions Light Weight with comp. I enjoy the difference in feel and ability to get back on target. I use it in NRA Action Pistol and it is much fast to acquire targets. However, I just started having problems with the reliability of the pistol. I was using TAC 22 in a match and occasionally the first round would fire but the spent round would not extract. I thought I may have used too muck Breakfree so I lightly oiled it and had the same issue with old Remington white box(SV). I had used the ammo successfully a few days ago, but now it will not fire on the second, third, fourth... round. I tried more lube and the gun fired around 25 rounds without a hitch. At home I disassembled the gun and tried the "plunk" test with CCI SV, TAC 22, Eley Outlaw and several others and the round stuck about 1/4 inch out. I tried the same ammo on the Bullseye barrel and each round dropped fully into the chamber.
So I'm asking, do I need to use more lube, polish the chamber, get a stronger main spring, get an after market extractor,....? Any advise is appreciated.

Last edited by Steve K; 10-16-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: changes made
Old 10-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sounds like the chamber needs cleaning. Here's a good post detailing the dread carbon ring.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1184335

The cliff notes are: The chamber gets fouled with carbon and other junk right where the case mouth ends. Eventually enough junk builds up that loaded rounds can't fully drop into the chamber and the chamber must be cleaned in order to pass the 'plunk' test. Bend a .243 caliber bore brush into an L shape and use it to clean the chamber.

The Tactical Solution barrel may have a tighter chamber than the Browning barrel, or it just may foul quicker. Either way clean the chamber until it passes the 'plunk' test.

Nolan
Old 10-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Kirby
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I'm asking, do I need to use more lube, polish the chamber, get a stronger main spring, get an after market extractor,....? Any advise is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

It appears to be the new barrel and not the ammo. I don't know how many rounds you've shot through it but it doesn't sound like a lot but maybe it's as Nolan suggests. My son's Buckmark had your problem and I followed his advise, which solved the problem. Additionally, we had to find the ammo the gun liked. I took Nolan's process one step further and soaked the bore in BORE TECH CARBON REMOVER. I use Nolan's method on all my .22. Tandemkross sells a CHAMBER SWAGE for $26.00 that you might try.

It sure is a pain when you spend around $280 for something and it stops working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Steve K

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Great advice. I cleaned the chamber as recommended and also used Kroils as a cleaning agent. After that I use JB cleaning compound on a felt tip. I hope to get out tomorrow and try it. I'll let you know the outcome.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 AM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
Great advice. I cleaned the chamber as recommended and also used Kroils as a cleaning agent. After that I use JB cleaning compound on a felt tip. I hope to get out tomorrow and try it. I'll let you know the outcome.
Thanks
Steve: I hope you can help me out with some info. I think (know) the ammo I use (CCI SV, CCI mini mag and Federal Match Grade) ain't what it used to be and is very waxy. I clean the chamber/bolt only, using Nolan's method, of my Savage mark II (Bench Rest Match), Savage A22 (Tactical), Buckmark & S&W M&P 15/22 (Rimfire Challenge) after every match or day at the range. I don't think I have to but I don't want any malfunctions, which I've had (stuck case, failure to extract, double feed) during a match or even at the range. Using Nolan's method those problems have disappeared.

What I'm wondering is how many rounds did you put through your weapon before the problem started? I'm wonder how many rounds I can get away with before I clean the chamber/bolt area. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Steve K

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I just tried to fire the Buck Mark with the same results. However, after taking the barrel off and examining the chamber I saw a bulge in the chamber under the front barrel screw. I believe this is the problem. I email Tactical Solutions and will call them in the morning. Thanks for all the input, but I think this is the problem.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Steve K

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I contacted Tactical Solutions and was advised to return it for repair. The tech stated the problem was using the long screw in the front. I didn't think the barrel was that fragile. Good Customer Service
Old 10-19-2020, 03:42 PM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
I contacted Tactical Solutions and was advised to return it for repair. The tech stated the problem was using the long screw in the front. I didn't think the barrel was that fragile. Good Customer Service
Steve: Repair - they should send you a new barrel. Did the install instructions say anything about the front screw?

I have every Tandemkross upgrade installed in my Buckmark, including the compensator, and it's a great shooter in the Rimfire Challenge and sometimes the Steel Challenge. Accuracy is important but at 35 yards and less and the relatively large targets coupled with a red dot sight I don't have to be shooting X's.

Anyway, as a last upgrade I was considering the Tactical Solutions barrel. My neighbor and fellow shooter has that setup. One day, after a match, we traded guns and shot a string. I shot the same time and so did he. I asked him if he found my Buckmark deficient in any way - he didn't. Personally, I didn't notice any difference or advantage with his but will say his weapon looks more tricked out than mine.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Steve K

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Kirby:
Yes, I was told it would be repaired, but hardly anyone repairs anymore. I think I'll get a new barrel. No, there was no caution about the screws, and I think there should have been. I didn't put a lot of pressure on the screw just tightened down. The aluminum and steel must be pretty soft to allow this to happen.