1st series match target? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1st series match target?

I would love to own one of these to shoot (not a pristine one). Do ones in rough condition ever come up for sale? I seem to only see “collectors grade” ones for sale. And if so, how many bills should I expect to drop?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:59 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also looked for years for a 1st series MT not wanting to spend that much on something that I wouldn’t really shoot very often. Over a thousand dollars then, much more now. I stumbled up on a 1st series MT parts gun a couple years ago and having amassed a nice collection of Woodsman parts over the years I put it back together. How in the world it became a parts gun I’ll never know. But it turned out pretty sharp. Considerably cheaper than a legit pistol. Don’t know what to tell you other than watch the GB and the other auctions for one. Decide if you want a shooter or collector but nowadays any MT is considered a collectible by the seller. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BC58D443-0E5E-45E5-B3CB-38EAFB9E0F58.jpeg (132.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Baltimoreed11754; 10-01-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've hunted guns and other antiques for my whole life. There is a cost vs time equation. If you spend enough time, you'll find one cheaper than the going rate. That amount of time may be a year, or 5 years. If you don't want to wait that long, simply spend the extra $400 cost between a "good deal" and the "going rate". I'm a patent man, I've found most of what I want very cheaply. But as I get older, I realize life is short, and eventually you run out of time. Or are too old to enjoy what you covet. Take my advice, decide if you want one, and pay what they cost, just not on Gunbroker, the most expensive place in the world to buy. Look at shops, lots of shops, and call them and network. You will have one within a month, for about 25% less than GB prices. Or one in 25% better condition at the same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2020, 08:51 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To expand on what azshot said, one of my grail guns was a Model 41 Smith. An expensive automatic in todays world. A few years ago on the way home from town, a 35 mile trip, I went by a house with a moving sale sign out front so after I dropped off my wife and her bud at the house I went back to check it out. I didn’t see any firearms so I asked. He said that he had some but wasn’t dragging them out so what was I looking for. I naturally said Colts, Webleys and Smiths. He had a Colt, no Webleys but one Smith—an older Model 41 .22 5.5 bull bbl for only 750.00 with 2 mags and an aluminum case. I bought it and have since bought more mags and nicer aftermarket grips. It’s a honey of a pistol. It’s kinda like deer hunting, you never know when or where one will pop up. Only 2 miles from my house.

Last edited by Baltimoreed11754; 10-01-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks both of you. I am not in any hurry, I can be patient and find one. I have woodsmans I shoot so I’m not waiting to buy a match target in order to hit the range. I just would like to own one eventually. So now I’m asking myself if I should wait and find a deal or are prices climbing and I should pay up on the first one I see? Congrats on that rebuild you did.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found one that fit the bill. It was posted locally and has significant pitting on one side of the gun and looks to have suffered years of neglect. But now for the good news, I took it apart and all the parts have matching numbers. The grips are not the original elephant ears but they are custom target grips, possibly Ropers or Sanderson. I did research and the front sight is a Roper sight. The serial number is 13x, yes it is among the first 130ish to be made!
I shot it and am very happy with the grips and how accurate it is. It functions flawlessly. I’m sure the collectibility of the gun is gone but i would not want to pay up for one in collectible condition.

Last edited by Billburrfan; 10-13-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, I almost forgot the best part, it set me back less than $600. That is the cheapest I’ve seen for a working bullseye match target so I didn’t hesitate, especially since I don’t expect a better deal to come along for a while.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 PM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where's the "Like" button!!!
Very nice!
Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 PM
bn12gg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice for $600. Now is the time to track down a second and third series specimen.

.02 David
Old 10-13-2020, 02:01 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn12gg View Post
Very nice for $600. Now is the time to track down a second and third series specimen.

.02 David
Thanks, I have had at least one in each series. Recently sold a couple but I have enjoyed a third series sport, second series target, a Huntsman, first series target, and I still enjoy a third series Targetsman. this is my first Match Target I have owned. I'm very happy with it since I won't worry about impacting the value of it while shooting it. I only sold a few of the others to finance new purchases and refine my collection to a handful of ones I want most.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:56 AM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good deal. A nice pistol with great grips. Hope it shoots great too. I added some Sandersons to my very nice 1st series with a King front sight. They are super .22s. Glad you found one.