barrel options for a 10/22wmr - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Location: 
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 
268
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel options for a 10/22wmr



Log in to see fewer ads
I was recently gifted a Volquartsen 22 wmr carbon fiber barrel. I don't think that it has ever been shot. In my search for a 22 wmr receiver to match the barrel, I have not found much. Volquartsen said that their receivers are not threaded and would not work. 77/22 have a longer barrel shank, so this 10/22 barrel won't work for them. I am now wondering if the Ruger 96/22m had the same barrel as the 10/22 wmr. Does anyone know if I could upgrade a 96/22m with this press in barrel, OR does anyone have any other options to take advantage or this nice barrel. Burt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM
crackedcornish's Avatar
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Yuma
Posts: 
4,957
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
I was recently gifted a Volquartsen 22 wmr carbon fiber barrel. I don't think that it has ever been shot. In my search for a 22 wmr receiver to match the barrel, I have not found much. Volquartsen said that their receivers are not threaded and would not work. 77/22 have a longer barrel shank, so this 10/22 barrel won't work for them. I am now wondering if the Ruger 96/22m had the same barrel as the 10/22 wmr. Does anyone know if I could upgrade a 96/22m with this press in barrel, OR does anyone have any other options to take advantage or this nice barrel. Burt
I'm confused...a Volquartsen barrel won't work in a Volquartsen receiver? Or is it just that they don't sell Mag receivers separately? And is the barrel threaded at the tenon? I didn't understand the mention of threaded receivers in there.

10/22 LR barrels will fit in the 96/22, but the 96/22 had dual extractors, so you would have to remove the inner extractor from the bolt for the 10/22 barrel to work...I'm assuming it's the same with the Mag versions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2020, 02:41 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Location: 
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 
268
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply. My guess is that this barrel was built for a Ruger 10/22 receiver that is not threaded. The new VQ actions are threaded, so this barrel was not built for the current 22 wmr VQ receivers.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-29-2020, 12:03 PM
Mighty Mouse
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2013
Location: 
central Florida
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
10/22 barrel

would you be interested in selling it>?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2020, 09:42 PM
DRob's Avatar
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2003
Location: 
Indy
Posts: 
3,127
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
.......................................

10/22 LR barrels will fit in the 96/22, but the 96/22 had dual extractors, so you would have to remove the inner extractor from the bolt for the 10/22 barrel to work...I'm assuming it's the same with the Mag versions
Or.............it doesn't take much of a machinist to cut a slot in the barrel to fit the inner extractor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 AM
former farmer is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2013
Location: 
Wisconsin
Posts: 
130
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
Or.............it doesn't take much of a machinist to cut a slot in the barrel to fit the inner extractor.
I hand filed the second slot on the barrel for my 96/22LR. Took about 30 minutes or so.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x