Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The girlfriend's SuperSport Heavy upgrades

7K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  DInghram 
#1 ·
I have posted before about this rifle I gave my GF almost 2 years ago, but it's had some additions, so I though you all might like an update :) We haven't been shooting much rimfire recently owing to the cold winter weather messing up our groups, so I have no new targets to post, but she had been able to get sub-MOA regularly when in good weather. If GM barrels are hit and miss, I personally think she lucked out and got a hitter, because none of my rifles seem to group better than hers, regardless of which of us is shooting...we haven't been tempted to swap barrels yet :bthumb:

However, I did get her a rather nice stock (this pic doesn't do it justice), and the gun has been upgraded with Kidd trigger kit, Kidd mag release, and a swanky new Leupold 18X scope. There's nothing else she wants changed at this point, and I cannot argue - the thing's pretty darn sweet! She wanted a gold trigger to match the ring on the scope, but I kind of talked her out of it...what do you guys and gals think?

See less See more
#10 ·
Hee hee now you see why! I thought about trying to install the brass trigger, but I am reluctant to mix any other trigger with the Kidd components - pretty sure that's a no-no :( The only solution I could come up with was to paint and bake the Kidd trigger, but I hate the idea of messing it up. She's not too serious about the gold trigger, especially when I pointed out that it's kind of a Marlin thing :)

#5 ·
Manfred- most of my GM barrels (cylinder and tapered) will come close to the Kidd barrels, what your GFs rifle needs is the Kidd charging handle/guide rod setup, the bolt handles are more robust and longer making them easier to handle- I like the round Vitron handles.

#6 ·
We tried that, and it offered no advantage to her; she says the OEM handle size is fine and she prefers its look. The Kidd handle assembly gave no perceptible increase in reliablity, either, as the gun ran fine before, fine after. Now it's in my LW 10/22 :D

We tried several JWH bolts as well, but they did NOT play well with the dimensions of the Ruger receiver, causing horrible malfunctions :( While a second gun is always an option, this one might have achieved its zenith, given her tastes :)

And thanks, all; I do feel VERY lucky that she and I share an interest in target shooting! :bthumb:

#7 ·
I found your original post on the build. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583107
It looked good in the previous stock, but the new one does look better IMO.
Where did you find the new stock ? It looks like a reworked OEM carbine.

From the looks of the build, and her shooting ability, you better sneak out for some practice. :D
I hope to see some targets posted in the games, by you, and your GF. Once she gets a qualifier in a game, she may be hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.