Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Daughter's first gun

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bluenoser 
#1 · (Edited)
Walking by the used section at Cabela's today and this little camo 597 caught my daughter's eye. Needs a good cleaning but the price was right, scope installed and all so figured a great birthday present (her birthday is today). Going to clean it up this weekend and we're planning a little range time next week. I've never owned a semi before (bought a used 10/22 from Cabela's this week too) so I guess I need to learn tear down and maintenance of them. Should be fun.

See less See more
#5 ·
Both of my girls are interested in it so I want to capitalize on it and enjoy it while they're young. Hope to get them both hooked on hunting/shooting young. My younger daughter was disappointed that the length of pull is too long for her. Told her we could try the 10/22 with the collapsible stock. She's a little young yet but she and my son can bring their BB guns to the range when we go. Get them all hooked nice and young and teach them right.

#6 ·
Well I'm of the old school,teach them first on a single shot,bolt action,iron sight,22.
B-B guns first of course!:D

Times have changed,you're doing great with your Daughters.:bthumb:

#7 ·
Had planned on a crickett or something like that but the price on this couldn't be passed up. I am thinking I may take the scope off to start them on irons. They've been using them on BB and pellet gun so the familiarity should help start on the .22

#12 ·
The thing was absolutely filthy so tore it down completely and gave it a good thorough cleaning. The pink looked so faded it almost looked like winter camo but after cleaning the internals the stock got a good bath and came out really good. After the picture I took the scope off so she could start with iron sights, have a fixed power cheap bushnell I'll put on it when she's ready for a scope. She won't be needing the 3-9 simmons (atleast for a while) so I'll slap that on my 17hmr for now. She's really looking forward to hitting the range with it. Going to take it myself first to make sure everything works right and I have it all back together right before letting her have a go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.