My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread - Page 16 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:33 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

good getting outta there when you did. where i hunt squirrel, lots of deer. i have seen squirrel bark at deer. i remember very clearly, a small buck walking 20 yrds to my left, did not know my presents. a squirrel, 15yrds up in a tree, the deer had walked under and slightly past. let out a very loud bark and kept barking. the first bark the rang out made that deer jump straight up, a couple feet. surprised me… as i did not know the squirrel was there! the deer jumped looked at the squirrel and slowly walked away, all the while the squirrel barking…. neat to see.

head back there in the AM, being wet should b good also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Afternoon hunt.
Bit disappointed.
Bagged 3 grays- 1 male, 2 females.
Fired 3 times.
All headshot.

Had a slight malfunction and didn’t get second squirrel in camera when I got to it.

Brings career harvest to 51,399.
Season total to 78.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ror7v_z2leg

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-19-2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
squirrel, I am glad to see that you May be keeping the shoulders from a squirrel now . Can you post a video of you skinning some large Gray males and an adult fox squirrel as well. I haven't killed or skinned a fox squirrel for years and it always took me about a minute using my method, which was twice as long as it took for a Gray. I would like to see how your method works on them. Too bad your method doesn't allow for you to save the second best piece of meat on a squirrel, the backs.

I like to skin mine in the woods as it cools the meat quicker and it sure does lighten the load one is carrying along with stopping the flies before they can start. ( 'course it cuts down on the picture taking) I was thinking about using your method if it works well on adult squirrels , (time after time) and you could figure out how to save the other half of the squirrel. The only other dilemma I have, as I walk quite a ways on a hunt is where to buy a 10,000" water hose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2021, 10:29 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunt this morning.
Bagged 2.
Both grays, 1 old male and one female.
2 shot shot fired.
Both headshot.
One longer range shot.

Brings career harvest to 51,401.
Season total to 80.

Hunt cut short due to rain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7PEAx2yVw

Btw one can cut legs off in the woods.
I have done to lighten load.
Even a small cutting board could be taken with you in your hunting bag.
Little extra rinsing where legs were cut will be necessary usually. I don’t do this often. But have on multiple occasions.
And before someone chimes in with their silly remarks I didn’t do this to conceal number of squirrels harvested (be over legal limit). To lighten load. Pack around 6 fox squirrels trying to bag 4 more squirrels. Can be very discomforting.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-19-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:03 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew you would do something to lighten your load like others have said! I am sure it would be a mess.

I don't think anyone would ever accuse you of trying to hide squirrel numbers!

It appears that you are only getting 2 or 3 a hunting trip! I expect after a short waiting period now, your numbers will pick up big time!

How about showing us your method on about 6 of those starter squirrels ( fox) you mentioned? I am really interested in how it works as some around here still shoot them. You say you give a lot of squirrels away to those less fortunate . Do the less fortunate not want the backs?
Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
I knew you would do something to lighten your load like others have said! I am sure it would be a mess.

I don't think anyone would ever accuse you of trying to hide squirrel numbers!

It appears that you are only getting 2 or 3 a hunting trip! I expect after a short waiting period now, your numbers will pick up big time!

How about showing us your method on about 6 of those starter squirrels ( fox) you mentioned? I am really interested in how it works as some around here still shoot them. You say you give a lot of squirrels away to those less fortunate . Do the less fortunate not want the backs?
Actually I give lot of squirrels to millionaires(no joking here). The folks are the actual landowners where I hunt lots of times. Some folks too who live by more mediocre means.
Go kill your own.
And try.
I showed how in video.

All the squirrels will add up over time.
Long time till 28 Feb 2022.
Camera use has cost me a few. That’s ok, worthy tradeoff.
Show folks I do squirrel hunt. And show some other things in the Woods as I hunt.
Hm2 strength is when leaves are at 50 percent or totally off. Basically when squirrels are on the ground mainly or using the ground more.
Leaves on trees here exceeding plush for time of year. And we have 4 more inches of rain coming in few days.
Hickories are super plush. Few leaves gone if any.
Loads of food. Squirrels more scattered.
I could have my best Jan and Feb ever coming up. Food source is that good. We’ll see.
Got my hopes up. I could be wrong.
Get this other hm2 barrel out and check it out.
And use this first focal plane scope 5-20x some for the long ranger shots.
The camera should do well showing some of these long range squirrels before I plug.
Yeah, I will laser and report range with camera zoomed.
And then try to shoot.

Oh yeah,
Let’s not forget about my trusty shell bark hickory tree.
Some of those nuts will be videoed while busting.
So folks can see how big the goody really is.
It’ll be another month roughly before they fall.
Dry a while then bust.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-19-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:35 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread

keep’em comin S1, i enjoy your post. and YT videos. its a shame others take joy in causing dismay for others.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:39 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes sir ! Squirrel 1 we enjoy the videos and the information! Some folks just like to pester others and seems to me like they are a bit jealous ??? Just sayin lol maybe one day they will find something else to do than annoy other folks ! Kinda childish ...

Old 09-19-2021, 12:39 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
+2
Old 09-19-2021, 12:42 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Momma turkey and her offspring.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jM1rsKyJgA
Old 09-19-2021, 12:53 PM
JimH

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Yeah,
You’re a professional alright.
Question is professional what?

Take your trash elsewhere.
This is a professional thread.

Why are you even here. On this thread? You done done it all, right ? With squirrel hunting.

I am offering my info as best I can.
Evidently some folks appreciate.

Start your own thread and show your squirrel harvest, or lack thereof.
I know you are going to take this wrong,but I truly mean no disrespect when I say your squirrel "cleaning" is some of the poorest and most wasteful I have ever seen on video.The knife should only be used for the initial cut at the tail-all the rest should be done with game shears to save the knife.Again, no disrespect meant, but a good squirrel skinner could skin and have the young gray squirrel cut into five pieces and have no hair on it faster than you can get your water hose ready and hung up. And the water hose is totally unnecessary. A couple of things I do differently than the "squacks" method is to cross the hind feet and step on them for the initial cut between the tail and butthole-not really a cut, more like pushing the blade thru the tailbone, then making sure the two tendons above the tail are cut and slicing in front of the hips.After the skin is off and head and feet clipped I lay the squirrel on it's back-dog food bags work great for keeping them clean and keeping blood off your pants,I then pinch the brisket and cut a thumb-size piece of belly meat off,split the brisket with shears,pull the insides out and cut the crotch with shears,cut off the legs and back(the best part!). Whole process, about a minute.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:12 PM
JimH

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My apologies,heres one from when I used to shoot them nasty old fox squirrels. Absolutely no jealousy-you,I and everyone should be willing to learn. It took you almost 3.5 minutes to partially clean a young gray squirrel-do you realize how many hours of your life you have spent cleaning 51,000+ squirrels at that rate? I'll give you a hint-if you did it 40 hours a week with no breaks,52 weeks a year,it would be about 1.5 years. The proper method takes a third of that time and utilizes the whole squirrel. Again, absolutely no disrespect meant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44258809861_dcbbec806c_k (1).jpg (484.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-19-2021, 02:00 PM
JimH

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Go ahead Jimbo do a video showing you cleaning one entire squirrel start to finish in one minute. You can’t do it.
Even if you skin entire squirrel you have to cut the legs off to cook. How long does that take? Add that to your supposed minute.

Btw,
If I were going to clean more squirrels inwould back my truck up real close to my hosepipe hanging.

Show us in your own thread a video - one minute total per squirrel.
Load of big BS.
I wouldn’t born yesterday.

Cameras aren’t that expensive.
Quit talking and start showing.

Show me you can clean 10 squirrels in 10 minutes via video in regular motion.
Laughable!!!

This clown show needs to come to an end.

You want me to tell you how long it takes me to wipe my azz.
So you can crow about that and tell me how fast you can do.

Surely you have some thing better to do.
Notice no congrats towards me from you in this thread.
Guess you are one of those.....

This thread continues on.
OK, congratulations! Not sure what for,but congradulations anyway. Skinning a squirrel in a minute- no problem for a lot of experienced skinners-there are plenty of you tube videos- would you like to bet on that? I would like to bet on you putting three arrows in the same hole from 80 yards-since you have the fancy camera and are already posting Disney -quality videos it shouldn't be a problem. Again, I don't mean to ruffle your feathers, but you do seem very sensitive.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:12 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
OK, congratulations! Not sure what for,but congradulations anyway. Skinning a squirrel in a minute- no problem for a lot of experienced skinners-there are plenty of you tube videos- would you like to bet on that? I would like to bet on you putting three arrows in the same hole from 80 yards-since you have the fancy camera and are already posting Disney -quality videos it shouldn't be a problem. Again, I don't mean to ruffle your feathers, but you do seem very sensitive.
Not sensitive at all.
Start your own thread and show all your supposed expertise.
Rather than coming in here and questioning everything.
Nit picking.

Folks can choose whichever method they want to clean their squirrels.
For the record my daddy and even my mother has cleaned a lot of the squirrel I have harvested in my lifetime.
You speak of things when you don’t know what you are talking about.
When I showed the video. I wasn’t having a contest or trying to break speed records.
Could I have done quicker?
Yep.
For starters setting up the waterhose is only done once. Yet I just showed one squirrel being cleaned.
You really need to start looking at things more logical.
You assume things not in evidence. And speak of.
Maybe you should ask more questions getting details before you stick your foot in your mouth.

PS
Notice,
Nowhere on this forum have I claimed to have dressed 51,000 squirrels.
Some squirrels were given away undressed to folks too.
Not many now will dress.
Most of these folks who use to do are passed.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-19-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kestrel wind meter.
This thing is handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvmEbYrgSIE