Decorations for the man-cave - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:20 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0199 View Post
COW 54 and Flangster, I'm envious of your cameras. There's just something special about the precision and attention to detail in the manufacture of these instruments of a bygone time. Few of the current generation (since approximately 2005) have even had the pleasure of loading a film camera, and making each shot count.

While not a collector, I have several older cameras that occasionally are displayed. One such from the 50"s is the Voigtlander Bessamatic with a 36-82 f2.8 Zoomar lens, probably recognized as the first actual 35mm Zoom lens. I think Zoomar is where the word "zoom" comes from. Few lenses nowdays need a 95mm filter.

(All photos made with a cell phone, a sign of the times)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Beautiful machine!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Absolutely... A fine camera!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Special_Ed
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
COW 54 and Flangster, I'm envious of your cameras. There's just something special about the precision and attention to detail in the manufacture of these instruments of a bygone time. Few of the current generation (since approximately 2005) have even had the pleasure of loading a film camera, and making each shot count.

While not a collector, I have several older cameras that occasionally are displayed. One such from the 50"s is the Voigtlander Bessamatic with a 36-82 f2.8 Zoomar lens, probably recognized as the first actual 35mm Zoom lens. I think Zoomar is where the word "zoom" comes from. Few lenses nowdays need a 95mm filter.

(All photos made with a cell phone, a sign of the times)
Sweet camera, Eagle0199. That's one of the original Bessamatics, isn't it? I think they changed the design slightly after a few years running with the model you've got there.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:37 PM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Ed View Post
Sweet camera, Eagle0199. That's one of the original Bessamatics, isn't it? I think they changed the design slightly after a few years running with the model you've got there.
I'm pretty sure this Bessamatic dates from the early 60's. The Zoomar lens started production in 1959, and I recall my dad trading a calf for this camera back in the early 60's. I used the camera heavily during the 70's, 80's, and even into the 90's for wedding photography. The constant f2.8 lens and 36 mm wide angle worked well indoors with available light, and the leaf-type shutter would sync with an electronic flash at ALL speeds and apertures, not just at a 60th second or slower like focal plane curtain-type shutters.

I seem to recall that the top knobs once had inscriptions in german but my dad changed these out to english sometime in the late 60's. The camera "kit" also includes a fixed wide-angle and a short (135mm) telephoto, along with various brown leather cases and the original manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2020, 01:53 PM
Special_Ed

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this Bessamatic dates from the early 60's. The Zoomar lens started production in 1959, and I recall my dad trading a calf for this camera back in the early 60's. I used the camera heavily during the 70's, 80's, and even into the 90's for wedding photography. The constant f2.8 lens and 36 mm wide angle worked well indoors with available light, and the leaf-type shutter would sync with an electronic flash at ALL speeds and apertures, not just at a 60th second or slower like focal plane curtain-type shutters.

I seem to recall that the top knobs once had inscriptions in german but my dad changed these out to english sometime in the late 60's. The camera "kit" also includes a fixed wide-angle and a short (135mm) telephoto, along with various brown leather cases and the original manual.
I just checked my McKeown's and it says the original Bessamatic ran from 1959-1962 at which time it became the Bessamatic Deluxe. There was a slight cosmetic change for 1962 (a T-shaped window above the meter cell) but otherwise I don't believe you'd notice the difference without looking through the viewfinder.

I think it's very cool that you got one of the originals and that Zoomar lens makes the camera more desirable and valuable than just having the 50mm lens. How awesome that your dad traded a calf for the camera...that's a great story to have attached to it! Even better that it's a camera you actually used a great deal. I love cameras but I love the stories behind them even more.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:48 AM
Eagle0199

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More Man Cave / Yard Art

Quote:
...that's a great story to have attached to it! Even better that it's a camera you actually used a great deal. I love cameras but I love the stories behind them even more.
Speaking of stories, here’s one about my Topcon RE Super (known as the Super D in the U.S.). It was purchased in a Fire Sale at the Phu Bai Vietnam PX in 1969 (the fire sale was a result of a 122mm soviet rocket hitting the PX). I seem to remember the price was around $150 and it was selected over a Nikon in the same price range. The camera came with a 58mm f1.4 lens with a 62mm filter size. Features include an eye-level prism viewfinder and also an interchangeable waist-level finder. There are also interchangeable focusing screens. I have the split image fresnel spot, clear glass, full fresnel, and architectural-lines screens. The camera has an easily removable back which can be interchanged with a bulk film back, and provisions for a motor drive via a port on the bottom of the camera.

The hard metal removable lens hood has a good-sized dent in it where I fell out of an airplane. Sounds worse than it actually was. I was deplaning from a C123 at the DaNang Vietnam airstrip when I tripped on the steps and fell, banging the camera on the edge of the steps. Thank goodness the hood took all the force of the impact. The Sun 85-210mm f4.5 zoom lens was purchased in Hong Kong in 1969, as Topcon was not making a zoom lens at the time. The Sun lens comes with a pistol grip and cable attachment which screws in to the shutter button. First pull of the trigger on the pistol grip stops down the shutter (which allows you to check depth of field), and final pull trips the shutter. The camera is adjustable from 1/1000th to 1 sec and also has the shutter hold-open for timed exposures. Other features include a depth of field preview lever, and the first ever TTL (through the Lens) light meter, which took Nikon 17 more years to replicate.

The camera has other Topcon accessories available such as a Macro Bellows rail mount, Lenses have an Exakta mount and I have two wide angles, one from Topcon (Topcor) and one 35mm no-name that I bought from Kmart with an Exakta mount. There’s also a separate flash hot shoe and a 2x converter to double the power of any of the lenses.

No longer useful because it’s a 35mm film camera in a digital world, too good to throw away, not valuable enough to bother selling, but lots of memories as it has been used over the past 50+ years. it’s pretty well relegated to occasional display and occasional wistful mention.

Thanks Special_Ed for bringing back memories.

For additional information about the Topcon RE Super / Super D: https://casualphotophile.com/2017/06...reatest-loser/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6329.jpg (476.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6330.jpg (472.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6331.jpg (474.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6332.jpg (412.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Eagle0199; 11-14-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Special_Ed

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Eagle0199, as they say, great minds think alike. I absolutely love my Topcons (as mentioned, I'm a collector so have an ecclectic mix). I have both the RE Super and the Super D (in Beseler Topcon guise). No great story with mine like you have with yours. My father-in-law found each of them in thrift stores a couple of decades ago. He paid a whopping $12 for the RE Super and $25 for the Super D.

I have used both of them and really like the feel. Everything is crisp and they're heavy enough to feel solid but not like boat anchors. I have Mirandas, Nikons, Canons, and Prakticas from that era and the Topcons are my favorites to actually shoot with.

@Cow 54 - I hope we're stoking the flame of your collecting bug! If there's anything specific you're looking for, PM me. I have some that just sit in boxes and I'd be happy to poke through and see if I have what you're after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topconsSMall.jpg (79.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 08:28 PM
COW 54

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:

@Cow 54 - I hope we're stoking the flame of your collecting bug! If there's anything specific you're looking for, PM me. I have some that just sit in boxes and I'd be happy to poke through and see if I have what you're after.
OOOooooohhhh....

Anything with art-deco styling from the '30s is what I'm after, really.

In the meantime, the one on the left, was delivered this afternoon...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020922 cameras 35 No. 1 and 35 R-F.JPG (87.9 KB, 6 views)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 11-14-2020, 08:30 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Sweet! Do the cameras work, as far as you know?

Old 11-14-2020, 09:55 PM
COW 54

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Sweet! Do the cameras work, as far as you know?

Yup! (even better, eh?)

Old 11-14-2020, 10:28 PM
Special_Ed

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
OOOooooohhhh....

Anything with art-deco styling from the '30s is what I'm after, really.

In the meantime, the one on the left, was delivered this afternoon...

You can't have one without the other...nice pair!

I'll see what kind of '30s Deco stuff I have tucked away as soon as I can get to the boxes.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:33 PM
Eagle0199

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One more story about a somewhat collectable camera. The Olympus Pen EES-2 was one of the early pocket style 35mm cameras. This one was purchased in 1969 in Vietnam. With it's small size and padded leather (called "kid-glove") case, it fit easily into an ammo pouch. The oddity is that this camera shoots Half-Frame, two exposures where there would usually be one exposure on a roll of 35mm. This would give 72 exposures available on a standard 36-exposure roll.

The lens is an f2.8 D. Zuiko and auto exposure thru the selenium (sp?) cell around the lens. No batteries required. The camera automatically selected whichever one of the two speeds were best, 1/30th or 1/250th. If not enough light a red flag would appear in the viewfinder and the shutter would not trip. Only 4 focus settings which corresponded to 3 ft, 5 ft, 10 ft, and infinity. The lens could also be dialed to standard f-stops when using a flash.

When photos were printed they usually came out as 2 inch by 3 inch as you can see in the attached photo. This camera has a 43.5mm UV filter which is not shown in the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pen6.JPG (168.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1045.JPG (210.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Pen13.JPG (168.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Pen14.JPG (260.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6349 (2).jpg (445.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Eagle0199; 11-15-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:47 PM
COW 54

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
One more story about a somewhat collectable camera. The Olympus Pen EES-2 was one of the early pocket style 35mm cameras. This one was purchased in 1969 in Vietnam.
I had one. Purchased in 1968 (RVN), good camera!

Now my Olympus stock is digital, micro four-thirds. The E-PL1 has no rangefinder or I'd take it out more often. The OM-D is a gas. Good for 10 fps, it's my alternate birding camera. They both earn their keep as working cameras.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020030 olympus pen.JPG (92.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9500 olympus front.JPG (97.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by COW 54; 11-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:26 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I'm with you on the OM-D. It has a silent shutter option. Great for candid portraits. I have one of the old Olympus Pen F's. Engineered like a jewel.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Off subject a little, but how did you get an RVN photo of a M42A1 Duster? I was with a unit of them for 16 months a long time ago...

Quote:
One more story about a somewhat collectable camera. The Olympus Pen EES-2 was one of the early pocket style 35mm cameras. This one was purchased in 1969 in Vietnam. With it's small size and padded leather (called "kid-glove") case, it fit easily into an ammo pouch. The oddity is that this camera shoots Half-Frame, two exposures where there would usually be one exposure on a roll of 35mm. This would give 72 exposures available on a standard 36-exposure roll.

The lens is an f2.8 D. Zuiko and auto exposure thru the selenium (sp?) cell around the lens. No batteries required. The camera automatically selected whichever one of the two speeds were best, 1/30th or 1/250th. If not enough light a red flag would appear in the viewfinder and the shutter would not trip. Only 4 focus settings which corresponded to 3 ft, 5 ft, 10 ft, and infinity. The lens could also be dialed to standard f-stops when using a flash.

When photos were printed they usually came out as 2 inch by 3 inch as you can see in the attached photo. This camera has a 43.5mm UV filter which is not shown in the photos.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:04 PM
COW 54

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I got a gift...

Art-deco Kodak 616. It's a nice one!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020864 art deco kodak 616.JPG (111.1 KB, 5 views)