My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread - Page 22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:28 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Shifty View Post
Forgot to say i was using my model 320 Winchester with the 1-4.5x20 Bushnell Sportchief Vl scope.
Nice little rifle you got there.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:03 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunt this morning.
Bagged 3.
Fired 3 times.
All gray males.
One headshot.
One neck shot.
One shot in the middle diagonally a long ways.

Brings career harvest to 51,424.
Season total to 104.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwbz2HNI_08
Old 09-28-2021, 05:37 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks squirrel.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:34 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Afternoon hunt.
Bagged one.
One male gray.
Headshot.
Fired one time.

Brings career harvest to 51,425.
Season total to 105.

Few squirrels shown in trees in video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2R9ku38v1o
Old 09-28-2021, 08:27 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dang, Squirrel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Afternoon hunt.
Bagged one.
One male gray.
Headshot.
Fired one time.

Brings career harvest to 51,425.
Season total to 105.

Few squirrels shown in trees in video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2R9ku38v1o
Dang, Squirrel, you are 105 squirrels ahead of me!!! Keep up the good work, and post pictures. Apparently I live in a squirrel void except for my back yard bird feeder.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:00 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will try to post pic and video. Loving this camera. When leaves are off camera will be able to show more squirrels.
Honestly, I don’t know what final season numbers harvested will be.
But if amount of food available is an indicator.
The number could be HUGE.
Nuts galore.
Could turn into many, many turkey shoots on squirrels on woods floor foraging for nuts.
Got my hopes up anyways.
Think I got the right rifles and scopes combinations to get the job done. And enough ammo.
Just hope I don’t get shaky. Lol
I ain’t no spring chicken.
Getting older.
Right now 50 yard headshot is piece of cake. If I can see the head.
That ihr reticle onnthe Nightforce is dynamite.
With they hadn’t discontinued. Thinking about getting another Nightforce. MOAR reticle though is all that’s is available or the mil r reticle.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-28-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning hunt.
Bagged 2.
Both grays, one male, one female.
Both headshot.
Fired 2 times.

Brings career harvest to 51,427.
Season total to 107.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkoEwo9wNc0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0C9FC4E-F909-4FCD-A956-DE51610E31A9.jpg (558.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-29-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:32 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
, ive not heard much barking either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 08:17 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Afternoon archery deer hunt.
Bagged zero.
Saw no deer.
Saw some squirrels though. Some in video too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fjnowIwdY
Old 09-30-2021, 11:31 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning hunt.
Used my other (my first CZ 455 actually) Cz455 with lilja varmint taper 17 hm2 barrel equipped with NExus 5-20x 50 mm FFP (First Focal PLane) scope.

Bagged 2.
Fired 3 times.
Had to shoot male fox squirrel Twice. Took two headshots to get him.
And a male gray.

Brings career harvest to 51,429.
Season total to 109.

Some commentary on Nexus scope in video.
Will use this scope on next hunts and keep giving feedback.
May get me another one of these scopes in lieu of Nightforce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aRStqnFluGg

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-30-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:52 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Squirrel1...I came home with three grays, taking only three shots. I passed up a fox squirrel since there are so few of them in the area I hunt. I missed out on another gray when I mistook a half-head peeking over a limb for a knot which disappeared when I viewed it a second time. One of the three grays was an off-hand shot at 25 yards, probably surprising me as much as the squirrel! While the squirrels are hulling nuts now, the hickories and oaks are also dropping nuts, making it very difficult to determine what's squirrel activated and what's due to Mother Nature. The single-set trigger on my CZ 453 .22 American (I also have a CZ 453 .22 Varmint) was useless this morning as the squirrels were active in the tree tops, not settling down to gnaw on a nut at any point. I could have walked out of the woods in under an hour with my limit of five with a shotgun; however, I'm not a shotgun hunter when it comes to squirrels.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:49 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG3 View Post
Squirrel1...I came home with three grays, taking only three shots. I passed up a fox squirrel since there are so few of them in the area I hunt. I missed out on another gray when I mistook a half-head peeking over a limb for a knot which disappeared when I viewed it a second time. One of the three grays was an off-hand shot at 25 yards, probably surprising me as much as the squirrel! While the squirrels are hulling nuts now, the hickories and oaks are also dropping nuts, making it very difficult to determine what's squirrel activated and what's due to Mother Nature. The single-set trigger on my CZ 453 .22 American (I also have a CZ 453 .22 Varmint) was useless this morning as the squirrels were active in the tree tops, not settling down to gnaw on a nut at any point. I could have walked out of the woods in under an hour with my limit of five with a shotgun; however, I'm not a shotgun hunter when it comes to squirrels.
Woods are getting more active here now with nuts falling. 10 more days after some rain these woods will sound like hail storm in progress.
From 10 Oct until 25 October. Many many nuts will fall. Leaves too.
Tree here are holding a lot of weight.

Last year was whole different year in early season. Squirrels were bunched up more in trees. I posted pics last season. They reflect the big difference. Was already at approx 234 this time last year.
Could see 25 plus squirrels easily most mornings.
Some mornings 40 plus squirrels.
Afternoons produced decent harvest too. Far better than this year has.

Btw I was in Pike county IL Aug last year.
Seemed pretty flat.
Far flatter than here.
If this area was that flat. More folks might hunt squirrels. And our limit might be lower too.
Steepest ground I saw, was the berm made near Mississippi River for flood control near my friend’s lease.
Boy would I like to have a lot of flatter ground to hunt.
I wouldn’t get the exercise I do though walking and climbing.
Makes turkey hunting here difficult too.

Last edited by squirrel1; 09-30-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:02 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Squirrel1...Pike County is one of the premier whitetail deer counties in Illinois. An outfitter will easily charge you $5,000 for a three day firearm hunt, sometimes more based on your success. Unless you own land or have close relatives in Pike or surrounding counties, you will have to pay an outfitter to hunt. I'm fortunate that here in my area of Southern Illinois some farmers consider deer as pests, eating their soybeans and field corn that cost them money. Even with that, there are at least five outfitters in my county. I'm basically a meat hunter, taking a couple of does annually and not sitting in a cold deer stand waiting for some horns to walk by. Way back when, a glacier or two flattened most of Illinois, leaving a rocky soil deposit in portions of Southern Illinois some of which became the Shawnee National Forest. The Shawnee is open for public hunting, but you need a map in order to distinguish what is public hunting since a lot of the area has purple paint on the trees giving the false impression that it's posted ground when, in fact, it has been painted by those who want to keep out others. We're supposed to get a couple of inches of rain with wind over the weekend which will drop a lot of nuts, acorns, etc. A 2 mph wind is forecast for Monday morning, very good for squirrel hunting. Now...which rifle to take? It's probably one of the .17Mach2's turn. I've got a New England Sportster in 17Mach2 that a local dealer couldn't sell and made me a very good offer to take it off his hands. It was hard to keep a straight face as walked out the door. While the trigger is a little stiff, it's crisp and a tack driver with Hornady ammo. It deserves a trip to the woods!
Old 09-30-2021, 11:34 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG3 View Post
Squirrel1...Pike County is one of the premier whitetail deer counties in Illinois. An outfitter will easily charge you $5,000 for a three day firearm hunt, sometimes more based on your success. Unless you own land or have close relatives in Pike or surrounding counties, you will have to pay an outfitter to hunt. I'm fortunate that here in my area of Southern Illinois some farmers consider deer as pests, eating their soybeans and field corn that cost them money. Even with that, there are at least five outfitters in my county. I'm basically a meat hunter, taking a couple of does annually and not sitting in a cold deer stand waiting for some horns to walk by. Way back when, a glacier or two flattened most of Illinois, leaving a rocky soil deposit in portions of Southern Illinois some of which became the Shawnee National Forest. The Shawnee is open for public hunting, but you need a map in order to distinguish what is public hunting since a lot of the area has purple paint on the trees giving the false impression that it's posted ground when, in fact, it has been painted by those who want to keep out others. We're supposed to get a couple of inches of rain with wind over the weekend which will drop a lot of nuts, acorns, etc. A 2 mph wind is forecast for Monday morning, very good for squirrel hunting. Now...which rifle to take? It's probably one of the .17Mach2's turn. I've got a New England Sportster in 17Mach2 that a local dealer couldn't sell and made me a very good offer to take it off his hands. It was hard to keep a straight face as walked out the door. While the trigger is a little stiff, it's crisp and a tack driver with Hornady ammo. It deserves a trip to the woods!
Yep.
My bud has a lease there. I helped him with food plots. His lease cost him $3000 a year.
Most private landowowners who donít lease their land annually the way I understand it, will charge each person $100 a day to deer hunt.

Take the Mach 2. Try it out.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:24 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Squirrel1...I noticed the white fur bellies on the gray squirrels you recently killed. Most of mine look like that, but from time to time, I'll shoot a gray squirrel with reddish fur on its belly. I'm assuming that there's a crossbreeding of the gray with a fox squirrel that produces this. Do you ever find one marked like this? Ever shoot any fox squirrels with a white fur belly?