Phoenix Arms HP22A 22 lr - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I had one over 20 yrs ago. The woman at the counter said it had so many safeties that it was "unsafe" in her opinion. I got the kit with the extra barrels.

It didn't jam, but there was something about it I really didn't like, maybe the sights were loose, and sold it to a friend at a loss.

You could do worse, but these days I think there are better choices probably available.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:00 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hp22A

Yep I could do worse. I've tried about all the greats Colt, Smith, Ruger, and still own a few.In the waning years of my life I want a fun gun ultra reliable relatively cheap
to buy and feed. I never had a problem with all the safeties, just by pass the thumb and keep the firing pin one. lifetime warranty and most parts are available for cheap.
For the money I can buy more than one. I'm on the hunt for a .25 ACP, since I reload for it I think it would be a great addition to the stable.

Cheers
S/SP
Old 09-14-2021, 08:59 PM
X-Raycer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After putting a hundred more rounds through the HP-22A today with my Granddaughter, I thought I should post an update on this pistol.

We shot five mags twice, taking 100 rounds all totaled. We had no problems, but one that happened with every magazine. Racking the slide to load the first round, it took at least five attempts to get a cartridge out of the mag and into the chamber. They were not Failures to Feed, they were Failures to strip a round from the magazine. Once the first round was in the chamber the gun ran flawlessly. This happened with each of the five magazines I have.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on?
Old 09-17-2021, 10:54 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not feeding first round?

I have had this problem as well. the very first round the slide needs a bit of coaxing
same as your experience. I can't give you a definitive solution but I suspect that the first round has much upward tension and it keeps the slide from picking up the first round. I load 9 rounds and that issue disappears. The recoil spring needs to be replaced around 500 to 1000 rounds. the ACE springs as the phoenix ones are kinda soft and eventually take a set especially after one tries to install them first or second time. the M*CARBO spring will outlast the Pheonix and Ace springs and might be the way to go. I have not tried it but that might be the solution to the first round stripped of the feed lips.

someone at RFC has a solution.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:23 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could be the "new mag problem". I solved that first round in a full mag problem in a new 9mm by doing 2 things.
1) Slightly file/smooth the inside edge of lips of the mag. The inside edge of new mag can be too sharp causing too much friction on the casing.
2) Tight mag spring? Load up a new mag in advance and keep it loaded to 'break in' its spring.
YMMV
Old 09-22-2021, 12:52 AM
BlackBat242
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that all 4 of the extra magazines I bought (all of which were in Phoenix Arms packaging with PA markings identical to the one in the pistol) had the sides squeezed in just a touch, so that the magazines looked "wasp-waisted" when viewed from the top looking down the length of the mag... while the original had no "waisting" at all.

The feed lips were likewise closer together in the middle of the mags, but after I worked on the mags to get them to "slab-sidedness", the feed lips were also now the same distance apart as on the original mag.

Now I just need to take it/them out and fire all 5 mags 3-4 times to verify proper function (and make further adjustments as needed).