Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

"A Tribute to Hipshot"

44K views 91 replies 36 participants last post by  Chaser 
#1 ·
This is my tribute to the man who inspired me to take the leap into stock modding. When I first found RFC I came across a thread Hipshot had done called "A Tribute to Sawdust", and fell in love with the red benchrest stock that Hipshot had patterned off of Sawdust's Polarbear. Hipshot has done numerous how-to stocks on this forum, creating beautiful stocks while taking the time to detail the process that he uses to build them. He is a asset to RFC and a true craftsman in my book.

Hipshot stand up and take a well deserved bow. :bthumb: You have gave alot to this forum and have inspired many people who which would of never took the first step in creating there own stock.

Because of you I was bit by the bug and there is no turning back now, for that I thank you.

My latest stock a TNZ Mannlicher is patterned off of Hipshot's but moddified for a bull barrel. My best creation yet even though I'm not through with it yet. I still have to finish painting it and a couple other little mods here and there. I give you my Hipshot's TNZ Mannlicher and then mine.

The following is a gallery of Hipshots work.

A Polarbear look alike. The Silver and Red Benchrest Models.

Hipshots revised Benchrest model "The Lavender Lady".

See less See more
#3 ·
Now to the TNZ line a favorite of mine.

DIY TNZ.

The Red TNZ.

A TNZ for a Woods Hunter.

After Charger tom had a stock givaway contest and donated the gifts. Hipshot gave Tom the TNZ for the Woods Hunter, this is how it looks now.

#4 ·
And the most recent known stock the Raptor.

Hawk and Hipshot have teamed up to bring us a stock for the shooter, always asking the forum for there input trying to make a stock for us shooters.

Version 2

I salute you Hipshot for your dedication and willingness to help people like me who just sometimes need a little encouragement to get started.

Keep up the great work and keep showing us those new stocks. :bthumb:

Current version of the Raptor / Talon, great work.

Version 3 Current version that is going into production with or without the forearm dimples.

#6 ·
One last little item, Hipshot even detailed how to build a stand just like the one in the photos, at the request of one of the members. I believe it is in one of the Morphosis threads a gives a materials list and a complete how to do it. Hipshot goes above and beyond spreading his knowledge to all that is willing to learn.

#7 ·
Excellent write-up, rigrat. You did a great job on this, and I think Hipshot is one of the guys who is very deserving of having his contributions to RFC and its members highlighted.

I, too, was bitten by the stock modding bug, thanks to Hipshot, sawdust and Squawsach. Hipshot jumped right in, and was there for me. My first attempt (which I made alone, with no help) ended up getting cut up and scrapped. After I had made several attempts at fixing mistakes, I found a huge crack in the rear of the stock, at the back of the receiver. I think it was a sign. :D

Since then, I have built 2 benchrest stocks, did the stock for the giveaway, built a custom stock for my brother, and I am in the process of building one for my wife.

For each of these projects, I have had Hipshot there every step of the way. Answering questions, giving advice, making suggestions, and lending his knowledge and encouragement.

Cutting up your factory stock can be pretty darn intimidating. All you can think about is "what if I screw this up?". I know it took me forever to make that first cut. Once I did tho, I haven't looked back. I think the best part of these builds is that you can change them in progress. You can try new things, different looks, add stuff to the stock, remove stuff you don't like about a certain design. There are hundreds of combinations you can use to come up with your "perfect" stock.

I doubt I will ever be able to build a stock that can compete with one of Hipshot's. The TNZ Woodsman stock that he sent me is the best fitting stock I have ever had my hands on. It fits me perfectly, from the length of pull, to the grip. It's perfect, and it will always be my go-to hunting stock. (I'm sure Hipshot will understand a ding or scratch along the way.)

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope that more of the RFC group will try their own hands at building one of these custom stocks. Even if they don't pattern it after one of the stocks you showcased, they can still come up with something that will work for them, and they can learn some stuff along the way.

Ultimately, you will have the great satisfaction that you built it yourself. And I can tell you from personal experience, one of the biggest pleasures is being at the range, and having someone walk over and say "Where'd you get that stock?" ... then being able to answer "I built it myself." :D

Thanks again rigrat for taking the time to write this up. It's a great privilege to have guys like Hipshot on these forums, and to be able to take from their experiences and knowledge, and put it to use. You did an outstanding job on your version of the TNZ, and you should be very proud of it. I hope you'll be moving on to another stock, and another story very soon.

And to Hipshot ... thanks! You're a great asset to this community, and I appreciate everything you have taught me. Especially the stuff that has nothing to do with stocks. :bthumb:

#8 ·
Is This A Fun Hobby or What?

Wow Rigrat, I'm very humbled and flattered by your post. Obviously I really enjoy building these modded stocks, but sharing the interest with all the folks here on RFC is even more enjoyable. It's a real pleasure to see someone such as yourself take one of these designs and add their own creative ideas. You did a supurb job on your version of the TNZ and you now possess a unique stock that will bring you immense satisfaction for years to come. Just as satisfying is the knowledge that you can do it again with whatever design may strike your fancy. I really hope to see many of your stocks in the future.

I've got to blame Sawdust for igniting this spark of creativity in me. I hope I can pass it along to others.

I've come full circle with my latest mod. Here is a preview of my updated "Tribute to Sawdust" benchrest stock...still a work in progress.

#9 ·
Sawdust.

You guys have done some amazing and wonderful stuff. I would really like to see the TNZ Woods Hunter available commercially for those of us who do not or can not build our own.

I very much appreciate Hipshots shout out to Sawdust. Those two, he a Sqawsach, have shown us all how to do many things. It has been nothing but a pleasure to be associated with Sawdust through the 1/4" Club in the SuperStock Forum. He presented us with our first tangible challenge to prove that the rifles we are building are worthwhile and it has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with this gentleman. He has given me the blueprint to do all the metal work on the action of my nest SuperStock. An aim to refine the little Ruger action without aftermarket parts.

Be it metal or wood Sawdust and Sqawsach have taught any one who could read to do some very nice custom work.

Thanks to Rigrat for putting all this great stuff in one place.

#10 ·
Hipshot that stock is looking very nice.:bthumb:

We'll be waiting for the pictures of it after painting, so be sure to update the photo's.

Vincent, I agree with you whole heartily.:) Sawdust and Squawsach have done many great how-to's and threads that I know have helped many people including myself. I have a few of there threads that I hope to incorporate in 1 of my next builds that I hope will bring me into the realm of SuperStock also. I plan on getting into the 1/4" club before next year is over.

That is why this forum is so great, not only the members mentioned in this post, but many more are all valuable assets to this site. It is a great brotherly attitude and willingness to help fellow members which is so great here.
I only hope that one day I can contribute more and help new members as so many has helped me.:)

#11 ·
well done rigrat

and a thank you to all those that have made such good looking modded stocks, i think i will be reading all of the listed threads and maybe ill start to build my own stock.
cdevon1200

#12 ·
rigrat said:
Vincent, I agree with you whole heartily.:) Sawdust and Squawsach have done many great how-to's and threads that I know have helped many people including myself. I have a few of there threads that I hope to incorporate in 1 of my next builds that I hope will bring me into the realm of SuperStock also. I plan on getting into the 1/4" club before next year is over.

That is why this forum is so great, not only the members mentioned in this post, but many more are all valuable assets to this site. It is a great brotherly attitude and willingness to help fellow members which is so great here.
I only hope that one day I can contribute more and help new members as so many has helped me.:)
I will look forward to the to your participation in the SuperStock Forum.

#13 ·
cdevon1200 said:
and a thank you to all those that have made such good looking modded stocks, i think i will be reading all of the listed threads and maybe ill start to build my own stock.
cdevon1200
Do it man! The hours you spend will be worth it, I guarantee. Once you get it all sanded out, and painted ... then you drop your barreled action into it and hoist it to your shoulder ... you'll just have one huge smile!

There's no reason not to give it a try. Factory birch stocks are cheap, the materials will cost you about $35 including paint, and you should be able to get it done in a couple of weekends.

Go for it! :bthumb:

#16 ·
ChargerTom said:
Is the homemade TNZ stock eligible for super stock?
Tom Superstock, allows no thumbhole stocks.

You should start us a 1/4" club and a Squirrel shoot in the ultimate forum, like they have in superstock.

And then for anyone to post there rifle in the ultimate section they would have to qualify in a 1/4"-25 yd and a 13 mm-50yd.

Might would be a good ideal to require the 17's to also qualify at 100yd .

We would see just how many ultimates are really ultimates.:D

#18 ·
Got some targets I developed for my run at the 1/4" Club, 13mm Fun Shoot and the Squirrel Class Fun Shoot over in the SuperStock Forum. Would be happy to provide them to you guys to use as you see fit - Just let me know. Great thing about the "SuperStock Games" is three fold - Makes the participant a better shooter, is lots of FUN and tends to stop the "Fish" stories! :eek: :D

Hats off to Sawdust for starting the "Games" over in SuperStock! :t

#19 ·
My hat goes off to all of you "master" woodworkers. I especailly like the Red TNZ. Now if only I could get one of you to build a custom stock for the 10/xx project. I'll even provide the pillars ! !

-- ale

#20 ·
OpsMgr said:
Got some targets I developed for my run at the 1/4" Club, 13mm Fun Shoot and the Squirrel Class Fun Shoot over in the SuperStock Forum. Would be happy to provide them to you guys to use as you see fit - Just let me know. Great thing about the "SuperStock Games" is three fold - Makes the participant a better shooter, is lots of FUN and tends to stop the "Fish" stories! :eek: :D

Hats off to Sawdust for starting the "Games" over in SuperStock! :t
Ops I'm at work right now in Singapore and want be back in until the 15th of Dec.

I'm going to do some more thinking on it , and will probably see what kind of intrest there is in it. Would like to get it going though , I just have to find someone willing to help as I am gone every other month.

I do admire the superstock and the superstock fun shoots. You guys have the right ideal, anyone can bolt on aftermarket parts and call it a ultimate, but can you make it shoot like one??

I do believe there are alot of fish stories, maybe we could call it the Ultimate shooter. And you have to prove the gun shoots to be classed a true ultimate.

And I think it would be alot of fun also. Great job Sawdust getting this started over in the Superstock forum , maybe we can get it started in the Ultimate forum so the custom stock and bull barrel member can share in the fun. :)

#22 ·
rigrat - Looks like ChargerTom has offered his services. :bthumb:

Attached below is the target for the 13mm Fun Shoot for all to use. This target can be used for the 1/4" Club or the 13mm Fun Shoot - My 1/4" Club target is a MS Publisher file, is printed in a 5x8 index card and does not convert to PDF well.

The Squirrel Class Fun Shoot target is loaded into the Squirrel Class thread over in the Super Stock Forum. Must mention that Rico is also one of SuperStock's "Game Makers" along with Sawdust. :bthumb:

Hope you guys get this started and let me know if I can assist. Good luck and may all your groups be "One Holers"! :D

#24 ·
its there a "jig" for starting up?

is there a plan for a jig so that starting to cut on the oem stock is done correctly? my world has "frame tables" that are the base for frames and altering oem frames so that it all ends up straight and level and true.
after spending the day looking at stocks, finding what i like, how do you make that first cut on the oem stock, the cut that will determin the layout of the rest of the cuts and the final outcome? i had the thought that the first stock should be a "mule" or a test bed that has many different adjustments that can be changed, so that the final project is the work of the numbers that worked the best for each person/stock combo, personaly im screwd here as im an a lefty, and that changes everything.:eek:
cdevon1200

#25 ·
cdevon1200,

If you go to the link for $22 mod it shows how to set up to make the first cut and then route the sides for the new wood. The good thing about it is there are lots of pictures to refer to. Not really hard just a little scarey until you make the first cut and commit to it.

Don't worry about being a lefty. you can still do your stock just reverse the cheekrest.

Chargertom is a lefty if I rembet right and has done a couple stocks himself.

Check out the thread and let us know what questions you still have and we'll get them answered.:D

#26 ·
cdevon, I'm a lefty too. And I don't have router tables, a table saw, or other shop equipment that would make this task easy.

First off .. which style of stock are you building? That will help determine how to help you with these cuts.

For the buttstock, here are a couple tips.

I do have a table saw at work. This is the method I have used, using a table saw to make the first cut. I cut a 2x4 about 7 inches long. Take a 3" sheetrock screw, and put it through the takedown screw hole. Screw the 2x4 block to the top of the stock, using the sheetrock screw. Then I take a length of 2x4 about 30 inches long, and I screw that to the 2x4 block that I have attached to the top of the stock. Put the longest portion of the 30 inch piece so that it extends out over the butt of the stock. Then, set the fence on the table saw so that the 2x4 can be held tight against the fence. Make your cut, so that you are just barely under the top screw hole of the buttplate, clear up to the wrist of the stock. You should be able to keep the stock nice and level, and cut a nice straight line this way.

Another method I have used at home is clamping the stock in my 10 inch wood vise. Once it is there, I use the edge of the vise jaw, and hold a 3 foot level against the jaw to use as a straight edge. Mark a line with a Sharpie the length of the stock, using the edge of the level for a straight edge. Then I clamp the foreend of the stock in the vise, and using 2 clamps I clamp the level to the stock. I use the edge of the level as a guide for my jigsaw. This allows me to make a nice straight cut.

Either of these two methods should allow you to make a nice straight, level cut the length of the buttstock. Once this is done, the rest is downhill.

I'm working on a stock right now, and I am doing it with the absolute minimum amount of tools necessary to do the job. I'm hoping there are guys out there who don't have a complete woodworking shop at their disposal, that can use some of the methods I'm using on this stock, as a jumping off place to start their own.

Good luck, and if I can help .. let me know! :D :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.