Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolute lightest 10/22?

17K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Jammer22 
#1 ·
For back packing I was wondering about putting together the lightest possible 10/22. What stock, barrel, parts or modifications are needed to get the little Ruger as light as it can get? A stock Marlin Papoose weighs about 3-1/2 lbs so I would like to get below that.

#2 ·
The lightest 10/22 stock I've ever held is the rubber "overmold" stock from Hogue. I don't have one, but those carbon-fiber barrels are so light it's like they're not even there. Not sure if they only make them in bull-barrel configuration or have factory taper ones, too (the Hogue stock can be had either way). That's the way to go as far as I know; if there's a better way to make an ultra-light 10/22 I'm not aware of it.

#3 ·
Butlercreek makes a stainless folder that is probably lighter than the hogue and it folds see the last page in pics of your ultimates thread. That stock with one of the 16.5"carbon fiber or aluminum barrels [ most people here don't recommend Butler creek's barrels but there are a lot of others out there that seem very accurate] will get you about as light as a 10/22 can be.

#4 ·
Another Option

I like your idea of a light wt. carry gun.

Buy the youth model w/short stock and bbl. Have a smith turn down the factory bbl. to a pencil thin contour. Do some serious carving on the stock...maybe skeletonize the butt section. There are some custom stock makers doing very light wt carbon stocks, but I don't know if any make them for the 10/22 or not. Go sans scope. There may be some parts in the "guts" that you can "swiss cheese" as well (my guess only). Or...pick up some of the titanium replacement parts.

Too much thinking...making my head hurt. Anxious to see what others advise and what you finally decide to do. Keep us posted.

Silvertp

#6 ·
Alternatives

Yea, but it's SO ugly :eek: Go with a VQ THM (~16") and a Hogue stock. I have both. It makes for a very light, compact, very accurate package :t . Another, probably lower cost, alternative would be for a Ruger 16.5" carbine barrel with a NemoHunter re-work and a Hogue stock for a sporter-weight barrel. If you're patient, you can probably find a take-off barrel on the Trading Post Classifieds (FS or WTB) here on RFC. And don't forget a trigger improvement -- lots of alternatives there, from relatively inexpensive to very expensive.

#7 ·
I would say one of the carbon barrels in a modified factory carbine stock. The barrel is the heaviest part on the gun. The factory birch carbine stock is pretty dang light, but could be made a little lighter with a little work. The forearm section can be reduced and the butt could be skeletonized to save a bit of weight. The Butler Creek folder is a pretty nice stock ( I have one) and folds to be pretty compact which is good for backpacking, but it isn't really all that light. It just depends on whether weight or compactness is of primary importance to you. The newer models with the plastic TG housing might save a few ounces but I wouldn't spend money on Ti parts just to save a few fractions of an ounce. A set of Tech-Sights don't add much weight but make for a reliable and good sighting system without the added weight of a scope.

#8 ·
I have tried both the hogue OM and the mcmillan sporter stocks and they feel about the same weight. That and a tac sol or whistle pig barrel will you pretty durn light! :)
isaac
P.S. I had a DSP with 16.5" stainless fluted GM sporter barrel that weighed right at 5lbs with the weaver V16 on it all up.

#9 ·
The Advanced Technology Dragunov stock weighs 26 ounces and the Magnum Research 17 inch barrel weighs 13 ounces for a total of 39 ounces. That seems to be about the lightest I can find and I guess I could cut the forearm off of the Dragunov stock to save 5 or 6 more ounces. Does anyone know what a 10/22 action weighs with the new plastic trigger guard?

#10 · (Edited)
Light 10/22

New receiver with a CPC reworked bolt, volquartsen charging handle with the new style black composite trigger with volquartsen hammer and auto bolt release, and Tactical Solutions 16 1/2 inch barrel. After market scope mount with red dot sight and the new ATI Axiom stock. 31 inches long with stock at its shortest and just over three pounds ready to go. Just put together for my eight year old grandson. Cheap version of the Magnum research listed above. Pretty good shooter and extremely light.

#11 ·
Chuck a stock Sporter carbine barrel into a lathe and cut cooling fins into its length. Not only will it save weight, but it will still, mostly, have the stock barrel channel profile. I'm betting nearly a 50% weight savings is possible. And if nothing else, it will certainly be unique. :cool:

#12 ·
back packing

I wouldn't even use a rifle receiver, I'd begin with a Charger pistol receiver.:)
I would focus on compact rather than ultimate light weight, although extremely light is very high on the priority list. It'd have it's own carry case with supportive accessories while being easily accessible in its own custom integrated scabbord between the shoulders on the pack with quick access from the top. It'd have an 8" or a 12" Quantum barrel on it..........:)

#13 ·
VQ makes an ultra-light receiver. They don't state the weight compared to a regular receiver.

I'd like to see weights posted for more parts such as barrels,stocks and TG's.

Looking online I found : Shooters Ridge 10/22 Stock Thumbhole Carbon Fiber but no weigh tis listed.

What about scopes are any light weight?

#17 ·
Just my opinion, but the best backpacking rifle out there is the Chipmunk. It weighs in at 2 1/2 pounds. It comes in a stainless model with polymer stock. Mine is quite accurate. You have the option of shooting shorts or LR depending on the game you want for the pot. It has a little sheetmetal aperture rear sight. I drilled mine out and put a real sight aperture in it. You can find mini-reddot sights that weigh a couple ounces if you prefer that. You won't get close to that with a 10/22. A Tactical solutions aluminum barrel on a factory reciever with a blackhawk stock is probably the closest at 3 1/2 pounds. Then add sights.

Teryx

#18 ·
I have a 10/22 clone - where the only Ruger part is the 10 round mag :)

- Tactical Solutions X-ring receiver
- Volquartsen TG2000 trigger pack, oversize safety, bedding kit & hex action screw
- Volquuartsen THM carbon fiber barrel with comp
- Houge stock
- Aimpoint T-1 reddot sight

Unloaded, it weighs 5 lbs, 6 oz. The T-1 is a perfect height given the stock and the X-ring rail; a snug but easy-to-get-into cheek weld.

To me, if I want lighter, I'd pack a pistol.

Problem with this setup is it's more accurate than the 1x T-1 sight. Been chewing on either a Nightforce 1-4 or 2.5-10, problem is that will take the gun closer to 7 pounds.

#23 ·
I put together a standard 10-22 with 16.5" factory barrel for my wife. It is in an Archangel QBD stock which converts the standard into a take down. 5 lbs with a TRS25 on a Williams Ace in the Hole. LOP is a little short but it works well with the red dot. Switch to a light weight barrel to cut more weight. The stock will take bull contour. The 16.5" barrel weighs about 26 oz. Tactical Solutions X Ring weighs 12.7 oz. Kidd UL weighs 20 oz. Leupold makes a 4x28 scope ($200) that weighs 7.5 oz. Want cheap then Simmons 22 Mag 4x32 ($30) weighs 8 oz. Big plus is QBD folds up to fit in a back pack.

#25 ·
Equipment and parts change in 11 years. A 3 lb 10-22 sounds interesting. Useless but interesting. If you are going to back pack and want to carry an exposed rifle you will find people on the trail not friendly. A 22-45 is lighter even with a suppressor and probably more rugged.

#26 ·
A charger type deal maybe but not a true rifle. Have a super light weight build, could loose a couple oz with a lighter stock and barrel that is 1 oz lighter. Would still be over 3 with a direct mount rmr that is sub 2oz so lighter than some sight sets.

It has carbon trigger pins, titanium action pins, polymer trigger group and titanium or aluminum everything else.

Could loose minimal weight with the action being fluted, but the bolt is the big heavy problem. If you went crazy minimalist stock with a carbon skin on some divinycell and a sbr barrel maybe..... but shootability will be poor.

Carbon trigger gets flat spots and gets finicky every 1000 rounds.

#27 ·
John,
if you read the rules and general good form etiquette, it IS good idea to start a new thread. Plus there are quite a few more recent threads on ultra-lightweight 10/22's. It's a very common question. So there's that. Also what does it accomplish to take a shot at Cornish? We all have tough days and heaven knows things are very tough out there these days.

Be nice, it'll all work out. Oh to answer your question, I'll bet a Thompson Center TC/R will be the lightest. Mine is 4lbs with exceptional open sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.