Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger Mark IV

62K views 282 replies 112 participants last post by  BKDinTexas 
#1 ·
Mark IV?

These pictures have been floating around on the internet recently and you guys are the Ruger experts, so is this legit? They supposedly came from http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/daniel-zimmerman/coming-soon-ruger-mark-iv-22-pistol/ but it seems to have been deleted. Even the cache is gone.

An elaborate forgery? An answer to the Victory? Something for shot show next year or the new unannounced product? Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see a thread.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a Mark 2 and 2 Volquartson Scorpions (Ruger clones). Also a new S&W Victory. Going forward, Ruger needs to do something. Too many issues with their current guns. Marginal factory trigger, inability to swap barrels, serial # on the barrel and difficult field strip procedure come to mind immediately. None of this seems be present on the Victory. Sure, it has some issues for a small # of their guns, takedown screws mostly, either comes loose or won't loosen. However, seems quite isolated, and going fwd, the type of thing easily fixed by S&W. The Ruger issues are not so minor (triggers cost a few $$, no real way to fix the other issues).

Ruger has done so well, IMHO, because it is super reliable, and the aftermarket, e.g. Volquartson, Tandemkross, Clark, etc have provided means to improve to a competitive level. Plus, no real competition left. As the aftermarket gets up to speed with the new Victory (as is happening now) I think Mark 3 sales will give a bunch to the Victory. Its just too easy to hotrod the Victory.

I like Ruger and really really hope they come out with a well thought out Mark4.

#5 ·
These pictures have been floating around on the internet recently and you guys are the Ruger experts, so is this legit? They supposedly came from http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/daniel-zimmerman/coming-soon-ruger-mark-iv-22-pistol/ but it seems to have been deleted. Even the cache is gone.

An elaborate forgery? An answer to the Victory? Something for shot show next year or the new unannounced product? Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see a thread.
Hey thanks for your contribution, and :Welcome: to RFC and the Ruger Mark III (IV) forum. Is it legit? Man, it sure L@@KS like it. You're right, at least there is no "visible" Loaded Chamber Indicator. :bthumb:
The pistol, and the picture you graciously provided, has what appears to be an ambidextrous means whereby the upper can be rotated forward. That would coincide with the patent drawing in the Mark II forum.
I, for one, hope that you have SOMETHING here, and I'll be the first to purchase one of these as soon as they hit the distributors inventory.
Hopefully, Ruger has caught on to how fed-up some of the ~NEW~ steel grip frame pistol purchasers feel toward all the "nanny" devices that have been inflicted upon gun owners who know what they are doing and how to safely handle their firearms.

I look forward to a Ruger Mark IV forum.

#6 ·
Very exciting about the mark4 , but I think the s&w victory has much more to offer with easy of barrel swap and takedown , and don't forget the price point !! Wow , don't get me wrong I love ruger , but they need something like the new victory , just saying

#7 ·
I sure hope its true. That way I can pick up a couple Mark III Hunters or Competitions cheap when everyone who cant handle the dis/reassembly of the older Marks dumps theirs in favor of the Mark IV. Just today, a buddy brought his Mark III pencil barrel to me in a box, because he took it apart, and couldn't put it back together. I simply don't see why some people find it so difficult. It took all of about 2 minutes, and he was back in business with his Mark III. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I agree Weblance

I have quite a few and have only had problem with one and Ruger fixed it quickly.
I bought a new SW 41 a couple months ago and have yet to run 100 rounds through without a malfunction. Have a Victory and it has been flawless with over 1000 rounds. So bring on another Ruger! A few after a day shooting in the desert with my Grandson today.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Very possible this is the new firearm they are holding the contest for right now:
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/promo/newProdSweeps/

In which case I really really really hope I win.

It also means we should not have to wait long to find out.

However also I would quote this as a possible fake for two reasons. One a Hunter would most likely come in one of the plastic boxes not cardboard. Two the cardboard box in the picture does not look large enough for the firearm displayed on top of it.

#11 ·
Nice to see some pics, and not just drawings. Thanks for posting those Lyra & Welcome to RFC!

I think Ruger had to delete the LCI because the LCI pin would have conflicted with the Takedown pin. I'm sort of doubtful that they also deleted the mag disco safety. They also appear to have deleted the Safety Lock, but that may be only because the mainspring housing was replaced with an integral mainspring.

The barrel is still serialized and the bolt ears are still narrow. At least there should no longer be a big gash cut out of the side of the bolt!

A number of other things I really disliked about the MK3 appear to be left intact. Maybe they have improved their design, but it's impossible to tell without examining the guts of this new gun. I'm looking forward to examining one up close and personal.

There's no doubt in my mind that the MK4 will prove to be better than the MK3, but I'll reserve judgement about if it's as good as the MK2. The MK2 was just such a superior design - it'll be very tough to top!

#12 ·
TE, not at all disagreeing, but curious as to why you view the Mark 2 as superior to the 3? I have a Mark 2, as well as two Volquartson made Mark 3s (slant and 1911 frames). I just hate the mag release on the Mark2, particularly since I use target grips. Other than that they seem pretty similar to me??

#14 ·
TE, not at all disagreeing, but curious as to why you view the Mark 2 as superior to the 3? I have a Mark 2, as well as two Volquartson made Mark 3s (slant and 1911 frames). I just hate the mag release on the Mark2, particularly since I use target grips. Other than that they seem pretty similar to me??
Ah, target grips. That explains why so many people complained about the heel release. I shoot both, MK2 and MK3, (standard grips) and I've found that I have no real preference of one release over the other.

However, the MK3 release is precisely the reason I will never buy another MK3 and why I think the MK2 is superior. I do like the concept of a push-button release. It's just the Ruger design is attrocious IMO. Of the 5 FTFeed failure types I've identified - 3 are caused by this horrible release. This doesn't even count the mag colliding with the release upon insertion.

There are 4 changes I would make to the push-button release to eliminate all these problems. As it is, I've had to add magazine guides front, back, and side, as well as doing a little milling on the release to fix all the issues. Would have been much faster and easier to just replace the MK3 release with the superior MK2 release, but I wanted to see if I could make the gun work well without converting it into another MK2.

The release is one of the things I'm hoping Ruger redesigned for the MK4.

#16 ·
Why, oh why Ruger would you keep the upper as the serialized part!!!!!
Maybe because it's the "receiver" that Ruger actually marks the serial number on. That's not all that unusual, as Remington, Winchester and many other manufacturers mark their receivers with the serial number also.

Can you elaborate a bit on why it bothers you that Ruger has chosen the place they use to put the serial number? Neither the upper assemblies, nor the grip frames, are sold individually from Ruger anyway. :confused:

#15 ·
One thing that the above picture that member "Lyra", thankfully posted, does shed some light as to what #82 represents. Rather than some WAG, it's obviously the retaining pin for the plunger in the back of the receiver that allows the barrel/receiver assembly to let go and tilt forward. Even the black tag in the trigger guard alludes to a "One Button Takedown".

I'm glad that the actual "degreed" engineers at Ruger retained the magazine latch/release as used on the Ruger Mark III and 22/45 versions, as that type has been working just fine for most folks over the last 12, or so, years. If target grips are part of the plan, good grief, add an extended thumb button. DUH!

I've put an order in for one of these pistols, and I can't wait to see if there are any of the "goofy" modifications done to this new version Mark IV pistol that have been perpetrated in a few (hopefully forgotten) posts around here. My gut tells me...................NOT! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.