Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:56 PM
ErikT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle Review

Hi folks. I thought I'd come over and cross post a link to a review I did on the JSR. There's no question the JSR is a lovely piece, but my take on it may not be what you'd expect. I did not see any rules against posting a link so here goes:
I gave RFC a link in the review as well. http://yankeehunter.com/cooper-jacks...-rifle-review/

Enjoy-
Old 02-23-2016, 03:15 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
A good read, but it seems like you decided on a JSR based on name and reputation alone and did not research it out very well. All of the aspects that didn't suit your hunting style could have been easily determined before buying one. I'm not being critical; I've done the same thing myself several times, like with an Anschutz that ended up being too heavy and not too aesthetically pleasing, both of which were clear before I bought it.

I think the lesson is to do your homework when buying $2000 squirrel rifles

TBR
Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Penndog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
That was a nice read and after owning a JSR (in .22lr - I also found no advantage to the Mach II - the 17HRM is another story however) I find I grab my 541s Remington most of the time for a "light" carry all day squirrel rifle - with an original Winchester 52 sporter a close second (which is/was my "Holy Grail" of squirrel rifles and is only 2nd because I wont take it out in foul weather). Love my coopers (the classic stock fits be better on a squirrel rifle although I do use my JSR as my hunting class small bore silhouette rifle) and they are wonderful examples of excellent craftsmanship amongst factory rifles.

I have never had a problem with the bolt "unlocking" in any rifle and safety is just a familiarity thing (most likely). The only problem that I have ever really had in the squirrel woods was when I am using my Mauser 201 with a set trigger and the problem is missing - although it saves cleaning game

PennDog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 PM
ErikT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post

I think the lesson is to do your homework when buying $2000 squirrel rifles

TBR
Point well taken!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Hey, one thing that I noticed, and it may be the pictures, but that barrel looks heavier than a standard JSR barrel, and you mentioned weight being an issue. My JSR is actually pretty light, compared to 54 and 52 sporters. Your barrel is obviously blued and not stainless, but did you opt for a heavier barrel contour? And what does that JSR weigh without the scope?

TBR
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Beautiful rifle. I looked far and wide for a blued barrel JSR with nice figure in the wood and ended up with the stainless look.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
ErikT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It should be the standard contour. I would not have ordered a heavy bbl.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM
hickorynut
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Interesting read for sure, I can relate to most of your experiences, I have not had a problem with the bolt release on my JSR, however I did with a super American Kimber many years ago. The minds eye often enhances the coming hunts when we are drooling over a quality made super accurate "squirrel rifle"
I just bought a very nice JSR in .22Mag, I envisioned those 100 yard shots but in reality, they are far and few between especially when your hunting the Grey Squirrels, they seem to idle at about 75 MPH, and as much as I'm enjoying getting mine ready for the fall hunt, honestly, I'll likely be carrying my Remington 541-S, I doubt I could set mine JSR down on damp earth with its skeleton butt plate and checkered walnut, I also choose the Leupold Vari X 2 in 4 X 14, to keep it classy. Beautiful wood on yours too. Should I watch for it in the classified? lol
Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent review, and I really respect your honesty and objectivity. Most of us hate to admit our mistakes, particularly if we have a lot invested.
It sounds like your style of hunting and the territory you hunt are very similar to mine here in west TN. Rarely will I get a shot at much over 40 yards, and my "window of opportunity" is often pretty brief, so it does take a relatively light, but well-fitting rifle. I too have a Ruger M77/22 that I bought in 1986, and it's just about ideal for my style of hunting. A Winchester M75 sporter fits the bill pretty well also.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:11 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
The safety is on the right not sure what you are trying to say about it being on the left?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM
dakotaTex

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great review - honest and to the point. Shows how important ergonomics are regardless of everything else involved - beauty, accuracy, and lethality. I work with video and folks will buy a camera with great technical specs only to find they hate the way the buttons are laid out. An object that does not fit your style becomes a chore to use rather than a joy.

On the other hand that is one great looking rifle. I much prefer the blued version over the typical stainless and your wood is fantastic. After reading your piece it reminded me of my quest for a Annie 1710 D KL - I've never actually held one but have come close to buying one on several occasions. I realize now that in spite of my love of its looks, it may not be the right rifle for me. I really need to track one down and shoot it.

dakotaTex
Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikT View Post
It should be the standard contour. I would not have ordered a heavy bbl.

It should be the standard contour ?
In other words , you're not sure?

At any rate I red your blog.
Anyone who goes out and buys a 2000.00 plus rifle pretty much knows the dimensions of its barreled action. To compare it to a 77/22 is almost unheard of.
( but people do it, go look at the bargain brand forum)

People do not buy Cooper rimfire rifles because they are more user friendly than brand B. They buy them because there is some prestige in ownership. They buy them because generally they are leaps and bounds more accurate and more consistent straight out of the box than brand B.

As to you didn't get any long range shots??? Thats too bad. After one hunt you gave up. I bet if you used it more than once or twice hunting, you'd find that long range shot would have presented itself..

I like the way your article goes into depth about the Cooper trigger grouping.
It comes out of the box set over 2 pounds, with a big sticker/seal on it so for legal purposes , if you change its setting, Cooper is not responsible. Thanks lawyers.

The ruger 77/22 comes out of the box with a anywhere from 3 pounds ( a good one but rough and kinks out through the pull) up to 9 pounds of the roughest trigger you ever felt. Luck of the draw is still not good enough for a stock 77/22 trigger. There are a number of other things that need to be corrected on this gun.
Out of its box.
Such as its wonderfully bedded stock and its superior exacting tolerances which it does not have. Along with its fully adjustable trigger , which it does not have. And it's lead engraving the rifling of a match barrel, which it does not have. Requiring what is known as a " setback."

The Cooper on the other hand. Well....................I can see why you prefer the Ruger 77/22.

Thanks for your blog. It was an enlightening read.

Last edited by TheShootist; 02-23-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 PM
xgambler
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
safety on the right, scope for a center fire not set to proper parallax......
Old 02-23-2016, 10:31 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgambler View Post
safety on the right, scope for a center fire not set to proper parallax......
Hunting squirrels inside 50 yards with an adjustable parallax scope that's, minimum . 50 yards to infinity.
As we can see, there are lots of things in this posted link/blog that do not add up.
It's not that im always right about everything..........you see.............but most of the time I am.

Kinda like this mythical " carbon ring" in the chamber causing first shot fliers through a cold bore.
Quote me.
THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THROWING THE FIRST SHOT THRU A COLD BORE.
You saw it first here folks.

Last edited by TheShootist; 02-23-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The scope in question is 25 yds to infinity I believe. Mine are but they are an earlier generation Vari X II. It does seem like the eye relief may not have been set up for the shooter when mounted though.