The Watering Hole 11-18-2019 - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Up...

Catlapped.

First cuppa - breakfast comes later.

'Tis 49 degrees out, rain is scheduled for today. Maybe I'll get a chance to play tomorrow
...or at least read the manual of arms for the new camera, 300+ pages.

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol

Last edited by COW 54; 11-18-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don that was a case of me not noticing spell check changed it.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
...or at least read the manual of arms for the new camera, 300+ pages.
Good luck with that! My Lumix something or other manual is smaller but is in fine print.

Bud finally wrote and said he doesn't have communication service on weekends but did not elucidate. Waddup wid dat yo?

Before dark last nite while I was sitting down to a perfectly grilled ribeye a feisty red Tubby, pine skwerl, ran off two grays and chased em away along the fence top. It was quicker and more nimble than the larger grays. I has something quicker.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ETA by the prices I shoulda hung on to my 2 Savage 99s a bit longer. They shot a ginormous number of bucks including my wall hanger with a red nose and hat at present.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
ETA by the prices I shoulda hung on to my 2 Savage 99s a bit longer. They shot a ginormous number of bucks including my wall hanger with a red nose and hat at present.
I've had a few I should have hung with 2. Live and learn

or just live . . . . .

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 11-18-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
In. Faster than young Frank, slower than Mayor Frank.

Never made it out of the house today. Spent most of the day so far scanning and shredding documents as my continuing effort to de-clutter my small abode.

I remember 20 or so years ago when I thought my brother in law was paranoid for having a paper shredder. Now I think it is a normal precaution to prevent identity theft. Times have changed.
I'm the same way, but burn unwanted documents.

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:47 AM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good morning!

Spent the entire night Saturday night and Sunday morning in the datacenter. Boss took us out to breakfast when we were done. I went back to hotel, took a quick shower and packed everything up and headed to the airport. I got a couple of hours of catnapping in on the flight, enough to hold me up so that I could make the hour drive home.

Got home around 3:30p, unpacked and pan-fried a couple of sausages for a quick bite. I hit the sack around 5p. Didn't wake up until about 7a this morning. 14hr powernap.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
Never was 'into' movies, but saw plenty and always thot Brando's best role was in Viva Zapata.
Agreed, I had forgotten Zapata..

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Frank Eagles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Afternoon. Relaxed this AM. Several cups of coffee. DVR'd shows watched and deleted.

Now get ready for County Commissioners and Mayors' Assoc. [last Mayors'].

Got to run by Vet and pickup a refill for Wiley while on the way to Raleigh.

Jinx, thanks for the video. I am familiar with the 99 and have held several. Never shot one. Buddy had promised I would get to buy a real good one at his death 2 yrs. ago]. Reported stolen the night of his death by his live in druggie Grandson. If I get one, probably stay in gun safe as a collector.

Have a good one.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:54 PM
RichJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Agreed, I had forgotten Zapata..
Missouri Breaks

One-eyed Jacks

The Chase

Rich
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Except that the taxers get addicted to spending, like a drunk sailor on shore leave in an exotic, promiscuous land.
Yeah, it can easily happen when you're spending someone else's money.

Local school board tried to float a bond to pay for some improvements -- new athletic field with accompanying support structure (gym, showers, etc) being the biggest chunk of it. As it is now, athletic activities are conducted at the old school a couple of miles away, meaning bus transport back and forth, etc.

The bond was to fund a no-bid contract to a hand-picked contractor with short term payback on the bond that would have doubled my taxes. No oversights in the proposal and no firm time gates on construction. Just a "give us the money and we'll go from there" deal. Predictably failed not because of the intended purpose of the project but because I wasn't alone in thinking that if you're gonna spend my money I want something in place to make sure we're getting the best deal.

In other news.... I guess a good thing you can say about these folks is they are willing to challenge conventional wisdom and pursue their own investigation into the facts... doing science, as it were. Several interesting tidbits buried in the article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/fl...ntl/index.html

Quote:
The flat-Earth conspiracy is spreading around the globe. Does it hide a darker core?
First is that once you accept the belief that (dot)gov is part of a conspiracy to hide the truth about the shape of the earth and the structure of the universe you are primed and ready to believe they are capable of any of the other "conspiracies" in which they are alleged to be involved.

Quote:
Still, most adherents demonstrate plenty of anti-scientific tendencies. It's hard to find a flat Earther who doesn't believe most other conspiracies under the sun; a flat-Earth conference is invariably also a gathering of anti-vaxxers, 9/11 truthers and Illuminati subscribers, to name a few.
Quote:
"It seems that increasingly, people don't trust scientists and experts, or their motives," Douglas says. "More research needs to be done in this area, and I'm sure there are some positive consequences to believing in conspiracy theories, but early indications suggests that they are more harm than help."
Second (and which gave me good chuckle) is that the "new" Flat Earthers believe the original Flat Earth Society has been taken over by (dot)gov and deliberately umbrellas wackos and conspiracy theorists while pumping out disinformation as a way to discredit their shared view of Earth as flat.... crazies calling the crazies crazy, as it were. I guess I need to be careful not to stir the pot there as I know we have some flat Earthers here on RFC.

I often wonder if the founders and promoters of these groups, usually recent "converts" themselves, haven't just spotted a lucrative cash cow around which to create their organization.

I love this pic from the article. Man's Enlightenment depicted. Sixteenth-century illustration but it was puzzled out long before that. Illustration still looks a little geocentric with what looks like Sol in orbit around Earth.

Last edited by Sophia; 11-18-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:29 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Newest, newest camera...

It joins the Olympus Pen and the Lumix G2 in the stable
That 70-300mm lens is a great all around lens. Mine never comes my D90.
......Tom Petty
Old 11-18-2019, 02:32 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
And I gave the Finn the berries for straightening the 2" decorative throw rug yarn ends around all the edges of it we used to have, every time she walked by it.
Does she have a yarn rake??
......Tom Petty
Old 11-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Does she have a yarn rake??
Maybe, she useta weave rugs n stuff. Rug is history.

Where does the melting ice cap water go if the Earth is flat? Al wondered to himself.

Walmart was busy so I got what I wanted and waited in line behind a filthy, err, noun deleted, comedian, who had to witicize with the checker on every item in his 3/4 full cart and the woman he was with chiming in. Then his card for $187. wouldn't work. No WM rf ammo report @ a toasty 38˚ on the truck gauge.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:20 PM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
In other news.... I guess a good thing you can say about these folks is they are willing to challenge conventional wisdom and pursue their own investigation into the facts... doing science, as it were. Several interesting tidbits buried in the article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/16/us/fl...ntl/index.html

First is that once you accept the belief that (dot)gov is part of a conspiracy to hide the truth about the shape of the earth and the structure of the universe you are primed and ready to believe they are capable of any of the other "conspiracies" in which they are alleged to be involved.

Quote:
"It seems that increasingly, people don't trust scientists and experts, . . . . ."

Well, that certainly describes a few of the denizens around here.

Second (and which gave me good chuckle) is that the "new" Flat Earthers believe the original Flat Earth Society has been taken over by (dot)gov and deliberately umbrellas wackos and conspiracy theorists while pumping out disinformation as a way to discredit their shared view of Earth as flat.... crazies calling the crazies crazy, as it were. I guess I need to be careful not to stir the pot there as I know we have some flat Earthers here on RFC.

Wake up! It's a convoluted conspiracy by the global new world order cabal - can't you see!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're just kidding about flatliners, I mean flat earthers, walking among us here.

I often wonder if the founders and promoters of these groups, usually recent "converts" themselves, haven't just spotted a lucrative cash cow around which to create their organization.

You mean like every other fad in history?

I love this pic from the article. Man's Enlightenment depicted. Sixteenth-century illustration but it was puzzled out long before that. Illustration still looks a little geocentric with what looks like Sol in orbit around Earth.

Oh my, where to begin!?

How do these people function in any normal manner in the day to day minutia of life?
As for the above illustration, I always thought of it as depicting an acknowledgement of the possibility of other realities/worlds/etc.

Not to waste time arguing with the delusional, but . . .

Number A. I give you evolution. . . .

Letter 2. Gravity . . . . .

Point the treble. Air travel . . . ..

Then again, ancient alien theorists suggest . . . . . . . .

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 11-18-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Closed Thread