Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Its 0° C now and still just howling. Its being reported that by 3P there were over 1800 power outages reported due to high winds and in this area they are now saying some of them were 45mph or better & sustained.

Turning in early this evening, me thinks. Going to be downright bitter in the morning. Its a given, but then it will begin to warm to just cold and not so north windy by Wednesday.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Wook!

I had a good night with YWC last night. She came over with her little dog. Friendly little guy. One of those Maltese type dogs. He did ok spending the night in a new place. I prefer bigger dogs, but he was nice.

R
Didn't know you dog sat.

Had a GF that had one of those. Loved to walk on my back ……. [too much info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Hawkeye, you store clerk must be kin to the one I got a while back. Young woman in her 20's, kinda hippy looking but not bad. I had a total of 148.50, but when I pointed out she forgot to figure in my 10% discount they offered veterans that day, she got all flustered, absolutely could not compute it in her head. She fumbled in her purse until she found her smart phone and tried to use it for a calculator. I told her the amount of the discount, as did the guy behind me, to no avail. She finally got it figured out but took several minutes.
Told this one before. Left a $5 tip. Young lady got out calculator and started punching away. Asked her what she was doing. She said dividing it as it was for two individuals.

Long day. 163 miles. 40 to retrieve deer. Rest was driving back through Raleigh to get south to Son's. Delivered most of the deer. Back home in 5 PM traffic. Did get to see his big addition to hold all the Grands.

Got pickup back. Will test drive tomorrow to see how it does. Driving it 8 blocks seemed a lot better. Replaced pitman arm [only 18 months old along with all the steering parts]. New steering box 11 months ago. Had a lot of loose play in steering. Had to "drive" the truck all the time.

Al [and maybe BW], familiar with the LS&I railroad? Trains magazine this month has add for Sigma lenses [COW]. Photo of LS&I U30C diesels pulling freight in the country. Said upper peninsula of MI.

Looks like I sleep with three dogs tonight [they have beat me to the bed]. One is BIG. Bet Sophia doesn't have that problem.

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, M92, Mike, dlong, AZ, Greggie, Rock, wr, COW, Brent, Atonic, Hawkeye, Gerald, Ranger, Phil, RichJ, Squirrel, koonta, Wayne, jnyork, OldDave, JV, 404, JV, 1917, GP, JDWin, IHMS, Johnny, pans, RonL, carrij, arjay, CMR, rj, Rick, calibrian and all the rest.

Sleep tight
Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
[COLOR="Magenta"]
Al [and maybe BW], familiar with the LS&I railroad? Trains magazine this month has add for Sigma lenses [COW]. Photo of LS&I U30C diesels pulling freight in the country. Said upper peninsula of MI.
LS&I, is there any other? They unloaded the high concentrate iron ore pellets to the big docks here @ water's edge where the docks dumped the pellets down long chutes into the boats to be taken either to the steel mills or the foreign market.
The pellets made great poor kids wrist rocket slingshot ammo being heavy and approx the size of average marbles but not as round. Killed a few limb chickens with em in high school chasing em they the treetops in folks backyards. Tubbys are tough!

G'night!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day.

I'll clean some guns, if it turns out to be the case... And shoot some airguns

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

I feel much better this morning. Last night, I was whooped. My foot was complaining something fierce.

The wind is picking up here, having passed by Wook's place. It's not raining yet, but it's on the way.

It might be a good day to just stay in the Ballistic laboratory.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post

Something to ponder of this evenings libation, how many rounds have you fired thru each of your shotguns over the years ? Not hunting, but clay targets.
Lots! And that's not a facetious answer or trying to be a smart aleck. I've never bothered counting rounds thru a particular shotgun, but I replace parts or have them replaced when function becomes an issue. I've worn a couple of shotguns out and have one that's like Ollie's axe; having its head replaced twice & the handle thrice, but its still the same axe.

Shooting, hunting & fishing have been lifetime passions and I've been blessed w/mentors, opportunities and the ability to make & invest enough to support that. I always viewed the goal in my day job days [aside from having fun & being passionate there too] as being able to make enough to do whot I did for free as a kid as an adult. Who wants to grow up?

Not I, said the blind man.
--

25° now, wind N 18 G 23 [it was N 28 G 38 not very long ago] RH 60% wind chill 13. Wind advisories in effect until 6A, then sunny and warming to 44, but another 20's night, then more better for Wednesday w/more sun and temps in the low 50's when I'll go and blastinate some more clay targets!
--

Opened a bottle of Jim Beam XA black label @ 3A. It used to state aged 8 years on the label. It doesn't any longer, but still has the same taste, leaving a dry 'corn bin' finish that for some reason brings memories of shooting rats inside an out of use and allowed to go fallow large barn on a W Texas ranch.. when I was a kid.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post

Opened a bottle of Jim Beam XA black label @ 3A. It used to state aged 8 years on the label. It doesn't any longer, but still has the same taste, leaving a dry 'corn bin' finish that for some reason brings memories of shooting rats inside an out of use and allowed to go fallow large barn on a W Texas ranch.. when I was a kid.
One of my favs ‘Elija Craig’ used to state ‘12 years old’ for $30......sadly no longer ;-(

Rich
Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
Thanks but the non cotton 'flannels' don't work me.

Carefully put out the mail 25 yds distant over icy terrain and swept the steps @ 4˚. The Finn wasn't up yet but I figured if I took a digger someone would call in an obstructing traffic in the road complaint. Folks in the police log call in for everything including dogs on the loose. Maybe I should call in all the cats on the loose here at night for the PD to herd up.

Twernt a good night for either of us and we blame the rollercoaster barometer. Couldn't be our experienced joints/hinges...nah.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
In the lower peninsula of Michigan the only poisonous snake is the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. The venom of a Massasauga is more toxic than that of most other rattlesnakes, but the amount it injects is relatively small compared to those snakes. Adults range from about 20 - 30 inches long and fairly docile as rattle snakes go. You usually have to either step on one or handle one to be bitten. The Massasauga is federally protected and most people have never seen one and won't. The only other poisonous snake rumored to be found in Michigan is in the upper peninsula. The mythical Yooper Viper is extremely elusive and the bite said to be almost certainly to be fatal.

I have never seen a Massasauga rattler. My limited experience with venomous snakes has been with the prairie rattle snake in Northwestern Kansas in the area of the homestead farm. Had an aunt that was bitten by one while cutting a cabbage in the garden as well as a cousin while collecting Easter grass for a basket. Another aunt killed one on her porch and an uncle was nearly bit by a strike that only caught his pant leg. My aunt that was bit was fortunate in that it was mostly likely a "dry" bite. As a teenager at the time, she had to put her make up before seeking medical attention. My cousin did not fair as well, but survived with out lasting damage. I've had a few near encounters while visiting the family farmstead but nothing close to being struck.

List of fatal snake bites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

We have two known populations of Massasaugas here. One is in Cicero Swamp WMA just north of Syracuse, and I have worked with them on several occasions with folks from our office and grad students from Syracuse U. We've done a lot of habitat work in there, clearing brush so that gravid females can sun, that has clearly helped boost the population.
Like other rattlesnakes, they are ambush predators, and will sit tight in most cases when you get close, but don't always rattle. Their rattle is very high pitched due to their small size and I had a lot of trouble hearing them , but never felt uncomfortable while tramping around in there. They occasionally wander out of the WMA and into yards or onto roads, which doesn't always end well for them.
We also have scattered populations of state endangered timber rattlesnakes that are holding their own and in some cases increasing, and copperheads in the Hudson Valley.

A couple of years ago a good sized gator showed up in the Chenango River just a few miles south of here. Luckily, I was retired by that time, so didn't get involved in the "hog show" of getting it captured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
You forgot the snow snake. Usually after being bitten folks fall down and do some fluttering snow angels and then recover quickly.

Temp dropped to 6˚ than then bounced back up to 9˚. Trees should start popping if they haven't already.
The only known antidote for a snowsnake bite is immediate administration of adult beverages of choice.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 11-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
This is my front yard. It was a farmfield 30 years ago. Only 5 acres but enough to hide from prying eyes. Rabbits are sitting under the snow so no chases this morn. 40* in a week so I’ll put the smoker away after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91C2D71D-BC74-4453-9B6C-358BE85F8E7F.jpg (505.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg F878ECA9-9EE8-45E0-B034-A0E4584872CF.jpg (515.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice oasis for critters Squirrel.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Wayne Sihler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Temps in the 40,s and dropping fast. Rain & snow showers on the radar to the west. And yesterday was so nice.Temps in the teens by night. I'm ready.

Wook,
During the short period I shot registered Trap targets (6yrs) I put over 25,000 rds thru a Rem 3200,It was sent back to the factory 3 times for repair. Will have to check my records for the #,s that went thru the 1100 and 870 during that time.stopped shooting when the family became the top priority
Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Temps in the 40,s and dropping fast. Rain & snow showers on the radar to the west. And yesterday was so nice.Temps in the teens by night. I'm ready.

Wook,
During the short period I shot registered Trap targets (6yrs) I put over 25,000 rds thru a Rem 3200,It was sent back to the factory 3 times for repair. Will have to check my records for the #,s that went thru the 1100 and 870 during that time.stopped shooting when the family became the top priority
I had a local 'skeet' guy tell me the difference in 2 of his guns was 1 you won't wear out in a lifetime and the other won't wear out in 3 lifetimes.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 11-12-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
46 degrees out, and it's raining (everywhere?)...

A fine day to do whatever around the house.

I need another safe!

First cuppa joe, still yawning and scratching.

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Frank Eagles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning. 50 degrees now and raining good. Temps slowly dropping. Real cold tonight and tomorrow. [thanks Al] Red hots and egg for breakfast. Plenty of coffee. Animals miserable as can't go out and run around. Mirra [cat] not happy. Wants to stay out as usual. Wet and turning cooler. She will find the barn and curl up on something soft.

Errands and then Rolesville Garden Club tonight.

pans is getting the big "S" word per guessers. We may see a flurry mixed in with rain at end of the event. Gerald, stay warm and dry.

GF, came home late yesterday. Wifey said squirrel dead just inside fence. Dogs would not even mess with it but just look [strange for them]. Stiff so been awhile. Had its trail over its back and all legs spread [like it had been on a limb above]. No wounds. Looked like it had been healthy. ????

Stay warm, dry and have a good one.