Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:13 AM
PNWpartisan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Takedown for LTR at Appleseed

I’ve read a lot on here and in other areas and noticed a lot of mixed reviews on the 10/22 takedown model. I installed sling studs and did some internal mods, but has anyone taken their stock 10/22 takedown or takedown with Magpul Backpacker through the Appleseed course with good success? I’m aware of the barrel adjustment screw and propert torque specs on action/barrel, but did sling tension cause that much barrel deflection?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:41 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't own a take-down 10/22 but sling tension will cause a change in zero with a regular 10/22. You have to adjust zero for it.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Disclaimer: I understand the training puts emphasis on sling use but it is not required. I haven't shot an AS, a good friend has done several.
Per Mike, he got the badge, first time through without a sling; said it wasnt that hard to do if you execute the fundamentals. He admitted he doesnt normally use, or feel comfortable, with a sling.
Im just pitchin it out there fwiw, ymmv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You certainly don't need to use a sling if you don't want to. The majority feel that their accuracy in the prone and sitting positions is significantly enhanced with the use of a properly tensioned sling, so if you haven't at least tried using one, I would suggest you take the opportunity to do so.

For standing, I know a fair number of individuals who do not use a sling because they don't really feel it helps that much. Of course, others swear by the use of a sling in either the hasty or loop configuration. Some shoot offhand without a sling because they are also interested in shooting in rimfire sporter competitions in which the use of a sling for support in the offhand shooting position is not allowed.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:48 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Disclaimer: I understand the training puts emphasis on sling use but it is not required. I haven't shot an AS, a good friend has done several.
Per Mike, he got the badge, first time through without a sling; said it wasnt that hard to do if you execute the fundamentals. He admitted he doesnt normally use, or feel comfortable, with a sling.
Im just pitchin it out there fwiw, ymmv.
I think your friend, Mike is an exceptional individual! Statistically, only ten percent of a group of shooters at an Appleseed, will achieve the Rifleman patch. Earning the Rifleman patch, without the use of a sling, is truly noteworthy!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PNW I just came back from the range with my take-down 1022 witch I have recently put a sling on. I have drilled a hole and mounted the sling to the fore end. I did not want to attach it to the "barrel band" as I thought that would put a lot of impact on the barrel harmonics using the sling. The gun shot at the same point of impact with or without the sling.

In Sept. I will be going with my son to our first Appleseed match. If I can qualify "Rifleman" with my scoped Savage A22 I would like to see what I can do with a peep sighted 1022.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If your going to be using the TD for AS I would suggest trying it without the sling. Because of the design of the TD putting pressure on the sling is going to change your poi. There is really no way to compensate for it as someone suggested. In order to compensate you would have to have the exact same amount of tension pulled at the exact same angle on the sling for every single shot. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think Ive heard it said that if your sling use isnt changing the poi you are not using the sling tight enough? Might have been on a high-power site where some of the guys are wearing out a sling in a couple of seasons.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM
wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
10/22 Takedown for LTR at Appleseed

I have taken a TD to an AS, but after 2 rounds in Day 1, it went back to the bag. POI changed and I could not hit where it supposed to.

I completed the shoot with a CZ 452 Scout, and came home with a patch.

I sold the TD soon after the event ... although I wish I didnt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I tested a 10/22 TD extensively using a GI web sling. I found that with the sling properly tensioned in prone, the POI was 8 MOA lower compared to using a benchrest. This amount of deflection can be adjust for - but it is very difficult unless you are well-skilled and practiced to maintain a consistent degree of sling tension every time you shoot and in each of the three positions.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Think Id rather shoot sans sling than have to try to maintain that 'correct tension' over the full course of fire.