40x new barrels - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
40x new barrels

have any 40x or lonestar action users with new barrels having problems shooting eley black box? reason I'm asking there is some eley ammo with bullet seating variation. so with locking lugs forward is the same problem showing up as it is with rear action lugs???just curious...thanks marty
Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Mr Marty I shot a couple of different lot numbers the other day without any issues. Always amazed at how good these rifles can shoot.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you had a new barrel installed, what reamer did your smith use? There are various reamers out there that are for certian brands of ammo. Yours might be for Lapua ot RWS or even another brand. Some smiths set the throat tight to seat the bullet in the lands also. Check with the guy who chambered your rifle

Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 PM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
If you had a new barrel installed, what reamer did your smith use?
Take a look at this chart:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=612049

Match the chamber design to the ammo of choice. Bear in mind these are just the offerings from one reamer manufacturer. Others have their own versions or you can build one to your specs.

Last edited by cowboy4; 08-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Not what your looking for but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
have any 40x or lonestar action users with new barrels having problems shooting eley black box? reason I'm asking there is some eley ammo with bullet seating variation. so with locking lugs forward is the same problem showing up as it is with rear action lugs???just curious...thanks marty
Nope, I just screwed one on a couple of weeks ago, zeroed the scope, took it to a match and shot a pair of IR50 targets with 250-17 on both and with two different lots of black box. Of course this was a unused factory 40X barrel. I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket that day as well, I screwed it on and everything was correct. Lined up, head spaced correctly and shot good. Last week no so well, 248 and 249, but it was with 2 more different lots. Couple of more matches, then I will go back to my 52Ds.

Marty a good friend of mine put a #7 contour ratchet on recently and he used a Calfee reamer. It shoots fantastic with several lots of Eley black box and without a tuner.

George
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
Marty,
Assuming that both a rear locking action and a mid locking action have proper lug contact, the nose of the bolt will go to the same place at battery every time. A rear locking action can have the headspace set the same as a mid locking action. For the purpose of arriving at headspace the locking lugs both do the same thing, regardless if they are in the rear or the middle.

Hope that helps,

Greg
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
my 40x's are shooting both eley and lapua great, just wondering if the problems was spread over to 40x's or limited with turbo's and their clones. one of the things we are looking at is a 6oc pin making timing problems seen with bullet seating variation worse than a 12oc pin..thanks marty

Last edited by earnest; 08-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.