Another Steyr Zephyr - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)

I agree Kaynine, love the DST and original rings.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Namboonie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking rifle and scope combo. Nice find.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM
63Chuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
80% (3)
Zephyr

A few points about the Zephyr and Conetrol.

I don't know when they started grooving the receivers.

One 2XX is not grooved, another 5XX is.

I have One I bought with Conetrols years ago. The front base protrudes into the ejection port about 1/4"+.

I have been in talks with Don at Conetrol, about buy another pair of bases, Conetrol is the only manufacturer that makes a base for that rifle.

Don is aware of the problem ..... so he sent me a pair of unfinished bases to let me try to correct the problem as I am in the process of customizing a zephyr.

Conetrol does not have a receiver to experiment with. Received the Bases Friday last.
If an easy fix with the mill is too onerous I will just mill off the porteruding part.

These are from the old George Miller days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2017, 11:26 AM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own # 239 (1953) It has the same type light walnut your does. I have a Weaver J scope mounted and used Redfield mounts (grooved) which work fine, no overlap of ejection port. I traded a Win. Mod. 52B Sporter for the Steyr and a Redfield 6 pwr. scope. I do not regret it altho that Win. would be a 6- 7000 to-day. Back then I had paid 140 for it (they were still being made). It has 2 mags.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:44 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Conetrol

I used a set of Conetrol bases 10 or 15 years ago after no luck looking for rings. The front base could can be altered quite easily so there is no or very minimal overhang of the ejection port. The problem is the grooved front ring base has to be reduced in a very short distance in order to fit. I'll try and get pic in the next day or two. Its time consuming but not that difficult.

What I neglected was the Conetrol base. That base was for the 15mm grooved base for a Brno mid size receiver that has the wide 15mm grooves.

Another point was using BRNO rings alone that are (were) made for the 15mm grooved mid size Brno action. I bought a set of those and still have not tried them.

The part is, or was SBRNOTH2. 2 pc. in a one piece box. Also, apparently there were two lengths available.

BJM sorry for the delay (head no good)

Last edited by BrianJ; 08-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Mounted a Leupold 2-7x Rimfire Special a few days ago, looks right on the Zephyr, no real chance of mounting it much lower but it should do just fine. Gloss scope is the right look for it.

That's a fine looking rifle and scope combo. Congrats!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:43 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
I used a set of Conetrol bases 10 or 15 years ago after no luck looking for rings. The front base could can be altered quite easily so there is no or very minimal overhang of the ejection port. The problem is the grooved front ring base has to be reduced in a very short distance in order to fit. I'll try and get pic in the next day or two. Its time consuming but not that difficult.

What I neglected was the Conetrol base. That base was for the 15mm grooved base for a Brno mid size receiver that has the wide 15mm grooves.

Another point was using BRNO rings alone that are (were) made for the 15mm grooved mid size Brno action. I bought a set of those and still have not tried them.

The part is, or was SBRNOTH2. 2 pc. in a one piece box. Also, apparently there were two lengths available.

BJM sorry for the delay (head no good)
Owning 7 or 8 Brno's, their rimfires have 16mm dovetails, or some later ones 11mm,
the 16mm rings will not work on my Zephyr being way too wide. I'm using Leupold 11mm rings on mine with the side plates reversed, while not a perfect fit they seem to be doing fine.

And thank you Minimouse.

Last edited by gmd1950; 08-28-2017 at 07:46 AM.