Are 40X barrels choked? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
dlrector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are 40X barrels choked?

I'm wanting to customize a new to me 40XB, first thing is to chop and thread the barrel as it is wayyy too long and heavy. Are 40X barrels choked like Anschutz's are. Wouldn't want to cut it though if it's choked. For that matter, just how good are 40X barrels? I assume they are among Remington's finest. Not really keen on swapping the barrel first thing. Thanks....
Old 05-30-2017, 03:45 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mercy.....

It's your gun of course, but I would think twice about cutting the barrel back on a gun like that if it is in good factory condition otherwise. If it's like the Winchesters, that will significantly reduce the value.

Have you shot it enough to know how it shoots? You could find that it doesn't shoot as well with a shorter barrel. Even with a shorter barrel, it's going to be a heavy "carry gun". If you plan to shoot it off a rest, there's no big advantage to a shorter barrel in that gun.

But, as I said, it's your gun and I would do what makes me happy....I guess.

Just me thinking out loud, and I'll admit I'm influenced by my own opinions.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've wanted to choke mine a couple of times.

≡✪≡

Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I've wanted to choke mine a couple of times.
Yeah, me too....the latest being just yesterday.......
Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Before I rebarreled the one I have, I slugged it and the resistance was uniform, the entire length.

Hoot
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrector View Post
Not really keen on swapping the barrel first thing.....first thing is to chop and thread the barrel...
A lot of trouble and expense to cut and thread (assuming a suppressor is a future purchase?) without ensuring top accuracy by fitting a barrel made to length specifications.
If the factory barrel doesn't meet your accuracy expectations after spending the money on cutting and threading, you'll end up spending that money again on the next barrel. Cry once.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm just curious what you are planning on using the rifle for.Are you are looking to use it for hunting or competition shooting?

I have 2 40x rifles,one is setup for benchrest shooting and the other for prone sillywet.The benchrest has a custom barrel at 24 inches and the other is factory and both I believe are competitive shooters when I read the wind and condition's properly.

This idea that I seem to believe most new shooters is a cool looking thing to do by cutting the barrel because someone says the accuracy of a rifle barrels length is useless beyond 16-18 inches is troublesome and incorrect in almost all competitions I have shot mine in. You might consider the above given advice and simply rebarrel your rifle and save the old barrel for later resale value once you find out a shorter barrel and whatever you are threading it for don't workout,just sayin
Old 06-04-2017, 04:50 AM
dlrector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone, but once I get the repeater conversion, who knows what will happen to value. As far as cutting and threading, well that expense is going to happen whether I get new barrel or not. I was just hoping not to have buy a barrel now as well. Either way, it won't be going back into the factory stock. Likely going into an AICS chassis.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM
SBS

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Factory 40X rimfire barrels shoot very well for the purpose intended -- smallbore competition during the time they were made. However, they usually don't compare well with custom actions/barrels at serious BR competitions. I don't believe they are choked as I've cut off several and to no ill effect. As with any factory rifles, there is some variance from barrel to barrel -- some shoot better than others, but the basic quality is good. I would suggest examining it with a borescope to make sure the rifling is in good shape and of course you will get a fresh crown when shortening it. With good rifling and a good crown, it should work well with your chassis application.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:19 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
If you plan to build a trainer or sniper clone and shoot from bipod I think you can chop the barrel and expect the rife to shoot better than most shooters. Question is how does it shoot now? If good then chop and build what you want. Go for it. Or plan B if it shoots really good is to sell the barrel as is to help with cost of new barrel. I would go with plan A and chop and thread.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 PM
butchlambert

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My only comment and it has nothing to do with the 40X. My Mod37 that I purchased from Mike Walker was cutoff in the custom shop on the breech end and rechambered. Does that mean he was retaining a choke. Unfortunately I can't ask him now.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Perhaps he slugged the barrel prior to shortening it.

≡✪≡
Old 06-04-2017, 05:28 PM
butchlambert

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Perhaps he slugged the barrel prior to shortening it.
You reckon.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What exactly are they looking for when they slug the barrel?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM
kevintaylor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The tight spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
What exactly are they looking for when they slug the barrel?
Kinda like rolling it in the flour, gotta find the tight spot. If it is at the muzzle, there is generally a taper towards the muzzle, indicating a choke of sorts. Mid bore or at the chamber, it might be a problem.