Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM
BigTexasOne

Lantana, TX. A suburb of the DFW metromess
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sticking bolt release lever

oops, mistake in title, no mag release, slide release!

Anyone else suffer from this? On a regular basis, I found the slide release lever hard, if not next to impossible, to move in order to get the slide to load a cartridge. At first I thought it was probably the Altamont grips, but upon further examination it appears it's the lever itself.

It appears to be too short, and is catching in the frame? Should I take it to a gunsmith and have it tweaked, or send it back to Ruger?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigTexasOne; 03-22-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 PM
C6Vern
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger recommends the slingslot method to load a round from the magazine.

Page 15 of the Ruger Mark IV manual:
"Keeping your fingers outside of the trigger guard, pull the bolt to the rear as far as it will go (see Figure 7, p. 14.) Release the bolt so that it will fly forward. This will place a cartridge into the firing chamber."

The item you are referring to is the bolt stop. It's main purpose is to keep the bolt open on the last round. So it really isn't a slide release. Other threads on the forum have mentioned that you may cause premature wear on the part if it's used that way.

I thought the same thing until I saw that part of the manual and saw the bolt stop info on the forum.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 PM
BigTexasOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It may not be functioning correctly because k of the Altamont grips, but ****, this thing is accurate. 10 rds at 7.5 yds.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 AM
BigTexasOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To Clear things up, I realize that when the slide is closed, and a loaded magazine is placed in the weapon, you may "slingshot" the slide and load a cartridge. However, my problem exists after firing, and the magazine becomes empty, and the slide stop automatically holds the slide open. It is from this position that the slide stop lever can not be depressed, even while holding the slide to full open.

I have discovered that the factory stock, left side grip panel, has a circular raised "washer" molded into it to hold the slide stop lever in place on it's pin. As seen in this photo at the top left..

However, if you look at the same location on the Altamont grip, you will see, nothing. in fact, you will see a slight wear mark, right at the top left corner in the photo that shows where the slide stop lever is lifting and rubbing.

Not having the "washer" at that location allows the slide stop lever to vibrate, almost off, the pin, therefore allowing the forward edge to drop into the frame groove and jam

My solution, for now, was to modify a small rubber washer to fit over the pin and slide stop lever to keep the lever from lifting,

After making this small modification, I took the pistol to the range and fired through about 15 partially filled magazines (5 rounds ea.) to make sure it worked. No issues, flawless, as would be expected from a Mark IV

btw, this is the grips from Altamont that are causing the issue.

I will now get on the phone with Altamont and see if they are aware, or is mine a unique situation, and work towards a solution.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexasOne View Post
I will now get on the phone with Altamont and see if they are aware, or is mine a unique situation, and work towards a solution.
Nice job on the trouble shooting. Hopefully they will make a design change.

Would gluing a metal washer to the inside of the grip panel also work?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 AM
BigTexasOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure that would work, but I'm not sure how to get the right thickness. I'm not sure how I would measure, and too thick could also cause wear and function issues

Old 03-23-2017, 01:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
...upon further examination it appears it's the lever itself. It appears to be too short, and is catching in the frame?
After looking at my earlier Mark pistols, it appears that Ruger created a problem by making the channel for the mag button much wider on the new frame.

Quote:
I have discovered that the factory stock, left side grip panel, has a circular raised "washer" molded into it to hold the slide stop lever in place on it's pin. As seen in this photo at the top left..
And this is Ruger's "fix" for the problem.

Quote:
However, if you look at the same location on the Altamont grip, you will see, nothing. in fact, you will see a slight wear mark, right at the top left corner in the photo that shows where the slide stop lever is lifting and rubbing.

Not having the "washer" at that location allows the slide stop lever to vibrate, almost off, the pin, therefore allowing the forward edge to drop into the frame groove and jam
Now this is your problem. (Thanks Altamont)

Quote:
I'm sure that would work, but I'm not sure how to get the right thickness. I'm not sure how I would measure, and too thick could also cause wear and function issues.
Okay, I assume you have a set of calipers and aren't afraid of a little bit of math.

First, you need to measure the space Ruger left for the thumb piece in the factory grip. A flat piece you can lay across the grip will be helpful here. Measure from the top of the "washer" to the top of your flat piece. This is the needed space plus the thickness of your piece. No need to subtract the latter if you use the same piece for the second measurement.

Second, measure the depth of the notch on the Altamont grip. This is the total space you have plus the thickness of your piece.

Third, subtract the first measurement from the second. This is the excess space you need to remove from the grip.

Don't forget that glue will add a few thousandths to your installed washer height.

Also, I personally would hedge my bet (on fixing the problem) by filing a small angled flat on the back of the thumb piece where it's currently catching the frame. This would allow the piece to ride up and over the frame, rather than catch on it.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pics of your final solution. And thanks too, for bring this to everyone's attention. I'm sure as aftermarket grips become more available, more people are going to encounter this problem (thanks Ruger).
Old 03-23-2017, 03:39 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You do know the Mark IV has no slide. It is a bolt release. Just sayin'...
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are those the Target grips that you can buy from Ruger? I wonder if the other wood grips listed on the Ruger website, the 1/2 checkered panels, have the same issue. Curious because I may be looking to replace the standard black plastic grips on my Mark IV Target model when it gets here.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
oops, mistake in title, no mag release, slide release!

Anyone else suffer from this? On a regular basis, I found the slide release lever hard, if not next to impossible, to move in order to get the slide to load a cartridge. At first I thought it was probably the Altamont grips, but upon further examination it appears it's the lever itself.

It appears to be too short, and is catching in the frame? Should I take it to a gunsmith and have it tweaked, or send it back to Ruger?

The thumb stud on the magazine should be pushing against the bottom edge of the bolt stop to move it up into position. The photo shows the thumb stud UNDER the bolt stop instead of contacting the edge of the bolt stop. The bolt stop should be against the frame and not a little bit away from the frame. That is why the rubber washer works. It keeps the bolt stop against the frame.

Question: Is the thumb stud on a MK III or MK II the same as the stud on the MK IV or is it a little thicker at the edge of the stub to better grip the bolt stop?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 PM
BigTexasOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpony View Post
You do know the Mark IV has no slide. It is a bolt release. Just sayin'...
Yes, but your anal attentiveness to minute and inconsequential details could come in handy, some day, somewhere, but, NOT NOW!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, but your anal attentiveness to minute and inconsequential details could come in handy, some day, somewhere, but, NOT NOW!
Sorry, but it is what it is. You never have to apologize for being right.

Last edited by goldenpony; 03-23-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 PM
C6Vern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Are those the Target grips that you can buy from Ruger? I wonder if the other wood grips listed on the Ruger website, the 1/2 checkered panels, have the same issue. Curious because I may be looking to replace the standard black plastic grips on my Mark IV Target model when it gets here.
I replaced my stock Mark IV Target grips with the laminate ones, item 90609, on the shopRuger website. I can report no functionality issues when using them.

I had also thought about buying the Altamont Target grips for the Mark IV so the issue reported in this thread is very helpful.

Lastly, with some sense of Humor, I noted that "Bolt Stop" is used 25 times in the manual according to help from Adobe acrobat reader. No one reads Page 11. Sigh.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 PM
C6Vern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB1 View Post
Question: Is the thumb stud on a MK III or MK II the same as the stud on the MK IV or is it a little thicker at the edge of the stub to better grip the bolt stop?
The round piece is the same size. I measured it on my Mark III and IV - the lever that you actuate with your finger is different. I measured the depth on my Mark III grip and Mark IV. The channel in that area is 0.040 inch deeper on the Mark IV model.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
BigTexasOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After considerable communication with Altamont, they are sending me a replacement set of grips, I will run tests to see if the change eliminates the issue, if it does, I can conclude that the first set of Altamont grips were faulty and return them to them. If the 2nd set manifests the same problem, then perhaps it is this individual frame, as Altamont says they have not received a single complaint on their Mark IV grips.

Update after receipt of new grips