Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
skylerlt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz View Post
The best builds ON TV are done at GUNSMOKE.
there, i fixed it

Just because they're on TV doesn't mean anything about their work... Gunsmoke is only a show because Rich has an outgoing personality, and his wife and daughter are "really smart"... and love showing off their "brains"...

just like Orange County Choppers... without the TV show, and the millions of cult followers, they wouldn't be anything that they are today, granted they do make some pretty cool bikes. i'd be willing to bet that most of their money (if not all) is made from their t-shirts, hats, and all the other products they sell, not their bikes.

Last edited by skylerlt; 08-28-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Jlcoop277

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lol, all valid points.
I knew they had issues when I saw that Chris couldn't put an AR together. Ten minutes on google and it was a done deal
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
bid_doug
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerlt View Post
...his wife and daughter are "really smart"... and love showing off their "brains"...
Brains huh? Never heard em called that.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 PM
krazykane

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will say this I emailed them about a build and nothing back .Also this project was done by some one else with the airsoft gun on youtube .Look for it and you can save some money .AndI agree I watch it but since Chris cant build **** thats why he married in .lol maybe he loves her but he can build **** .
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
KnRMachine99
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I find it totally amazing that you all can tell so much about a company just by watchin a TV show. Red Jacket Firearms has been operating for over 10 years and I feel if they were making crap. like you all seem to think, they wouldn't be in business today.
To quote Will Haden himself:

"So , some guy's moaning that the shows "commercialized" . Or maybe it's me that's commercialized . I really don't even know what that's supposed to mean , much less what it actually does . Maybe there's a misunderstanding about what the shows about , so , let me cover that a bit . The T.V, show "Son's of Guns" is about a small firearms manufacturing firm in Baton Rouge La. . It follows the central
members of that company , it's products and unique gunsmithing , repair and or fabrication projects . Red jacket Firearms has been in business a tad over a decade , has grown well annually and is currently growing at a rate that is staggering . And while the TV show lets folks know about us , if the products that this company produce were not top notch , then no one would be buying them . As for me , I came out of North Baton Rouge and into the Marine Corp the day I turned 17 . When I got out , I went into business . My oldest daughter has been beside me with RJF since the doors opened . I'm not sure what some think it's supposed to be about , but that us in a nutshell . Many Thanks , Will"

I like the show and am smart enough to realize that it only shows a very small part of the entire company. I have seen and read some reviews about their products and have herd more good than bad.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM
John_in_Canada

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I so agree about the added drama on shows like these. Lets just see the builds FFS!!

and I also agree wtih you on the bracket build quality comments. I was wondering if anyone else was noticing that.

I remember when one of thier smiths was wanting to use a proper bore micrometer, but was told to use the cheap calipers or pack up his tools!

Tho I will say I like some of thier stuff. Oerlikons, Bofors, that Japanese Arisaka etc. Some good stuff!!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM
glocker17
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Barrel length, but it still needs to end up 28 overall, hence the need for an 18" barrel.
Nope OAL is 26" min, I am guessing the 16" barrel won't clear they stock. Maybe it is just for a margin of safety.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow...a lot of talk from armchair critics.
I notice none of the mouthy people here are known for their gunsmithing abilities...or anything else for that matter than I can find on the 'net.
C'mon dufferdave and craigc (among others)...let's see you ante up your wonderful designs.
Jeeeshh!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM
zymurgeist
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Wow...a lot of talk from armchair critics.
I notice none of the mouthy people here are known for their gunsmithing abilities...or anything else for that matter than I can find on the 'net.
C'mon dufferdave and craigc (among others)...let's see you ante up your wonderful designs.
Jeeeshh!!!
You don't have to be a cow to recognize bovine feces. The TV show is the purest form of it. I can't actually judge their other work because I haven't held any but if that's representative of their skills I'm not likely to either. Their prices are redonkulous.

Last edited by zymurgeist; 09-27-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It probably is not fair to judge their work by what is shown on TV. The comments about rough cuts, unground welds, etc. may be based on the short time the camera shows, but I'd bet that there is a lot of time-consuming work done on those projects that isn't shown.

Certainly in the episodes that I've seen the guns function well and look good (except the survival kit/fold-up gun at the end of Season 1), and the customers demonstrating them don't seem to have any complaints or suffer malfunctions.

If true, this certainly differentiates SoG from Orange County Choppers. Those motorcycles really are crap builds, and there really isn't anything new or interesting in their engineering or design - they are just basic, badly built choppers with various-themed gingerbread hung on them.

Lastly, the Gun Control Act of 1968 which instituted the FFL system, should never have been passed and in a free society, would be repealed ASAP.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM
John_in_Canada

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
and there are some gunsmiths on here.

plus some of it wasn't really gunsmithing(the brackets) but just basic fabrication, and I am sure there are a few people on here who can fab.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM
dboz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And they did not make a TV show about them? Wonder why?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
rogerpjr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well just in case anyone was wondering, the ZK-22 staocks will start shipping sometime in November.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Metalbender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a smith, just a hobbyist who likes to build stuff. Saw a couple of episodes, ya right! Falls somewhere between survivor and mountain men. I can turn the frikin' tv off and load ammo, fondle my guns and hang around here and see some real people's guns. Fred
Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 PM
PyroBebop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess the fact that Red Jacket has customers from all over the country, works with big manufacturers , and are sought out for custom builds must mean they really are doing something terrible wrong.

Sure the drama is unnecessary but judging their entire body if work from a TV show is immature and naive, especially when criticizing items you do not have FIRST hand experience with.

As to the ffl thing or what not, that is pretty negligent on Red Jackets part.

People these days need to quit complaining and critiquing everything just because they can. Everyone needs to calm down and enjoy life.