Archangels are here ! - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 AM
HR218
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for the detailed write up on this new product. It looks really good as far as wanting the AR look. For a plastic reletively affordable good looking stock...it seems to beat a Tapco with a quad rail? I am not crazy about the screws. It would be a nice mod if you can drill all the way through and use hex head screws and nuts...not just a screw into plastic.

I might give it a try now that I have seen more of it? It needs a bull or heavy taper barrel for sure! The bayonet is really cheesy in my opinion - but the CTR stock and free float hand guard and finger groove grip is a huge improvement over the Tapco offering. If you are gonna go plastic, this may be the best bang for the buck?

Last edited by HR218; 02-25-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 AM
GlennOC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR218 View Post
Thanks for the detailed write up on this new product. It looks really good as far as wanting the AR look. For a plastic reletively affordable good looking stock...it seems to beat a Tapco with a quad rail? I am not crazy about the screws. It would be a nice mod if you can drill all the way through and use hex head screws and nuts...not just a screw into plastic.

I might give it a try now that I have seen more of it? It needs a bull or heavy taper barrel for sure! The bayonet is really cheesy in my opinion - but the CTR stock and free float hand guard and finger groove grip is a huge improvement over the Tapco offering. If you are gonna go plastic, this may be the best bang for the buck?
Archangel vs Tapco is a tough one... considering price.

I like the tapco and ran that for almost a year.. still like it for how simple it is.

Tapco is a great stock in that it was designed to be made cheap (to buy), lightweight, easy drop in of the action, in most cases you can leave your barrel sights in place. You can then drop it in any other stock easily. Easy in and out for cleaning, etc.. specially for those that run it with no top cover. Comes with 2 butt stock tubes one angled for running your barrel iron sights and another flat one for optics, etc..

Some gripes about the Tapco are for example... the people with bull barrels that have to file it into shape or run it without top cover, or those that are not fans of the top cover using wood / drywall type screws to secure it, or perhaps those that want a low cost quad rail setup having to fabricate their own on the tapco... there is no picatinny rail above the action (extra cost on the tapco or run the factory scope mounts) the real bottom line is it's a $90 stock.. for that price it's nice. The Tapco is lighter in weight than the Archangel stock (and many other stocks) I noticed... which can be another bonus.

The Archangel stock is ~ $180 - $199. as far as what it gives you over a Tapco (just to compare and there should be some things considering the price) is a full floating handguard with rails (additional rails can be added), people with bull barrels no problem, kit includes an alloy extended magazine release lever (note in the archangel pics), a picatinny top rail above the action on down through the handgard, stiff G10 like ballistic fiber reinforced plastic (screw holes do not bulge and machine screws used throughout) and for those that care, a fake flash hider (and plastic bayonet haha) and it's a new tatical stock on the market.

Where it equals the Tapco is it also comes with a pistol grip with handle (molded in) with storage (though with better latch on the archangel kit), there is one lower picatinny rail position on the Tapco (and one on the top cover that usually is in the way to mount anything on), multi position flat AR stock and both give that tactical look.

Downsides to the Archangel kit compared to Tapco are 4 screws need to be removed if you want to completely remove the action (I guess similar to tapco with top cover), those with crackle paint receivers may slightly scratch it since the top cover is a tight fit over the receiver, if you run the muzzle device on a factory stock you need to remove the front sights, you need to remove the rear sights on the factory barrel in some cases, its slightly heavier than the tapco, it only comes with one straight back butt stock extension tube (AR style), etc... and it costs more...

many of these are not issues for many with both stocks above... but just mentioning them just in case

So I think the choice between Tapco and Archangel depends on the end user and functionality, since both offer what for some may be deal breakers or perhaps added features, or too many un-needed features, etc..

I'd probably say the Archangel kit is perhaps a poor mans Nordic or RB precision kit but with some interesting plus sides depending on how you look at it.

Looking at a Nordic, and perhaps RB you can custom run whatever you want which is great... only each part can add up, grip, handguard, butt stock, buffer tubes, etc..

the archangel like mentioned looks like something that sort of ripped off little design things here and there from everyone out there and threw it into one kit, a stock style from here, handguard style from there, heh.. but if you don't like say the grip or the handguard style.. nothing you can do on the Archangel kit.

but a plus I would say is the kit is made from the G10 like fiber reinforced plastic... compared to a metal receiver.. you can really beat it up and it does not show wear or scratches easily.. and the bottom line is a stock ruger + $199 and you are done sans optics or sights if you want the AR style look / feel and floating barrel / handguard with a 22LR.

but you get what you pay for with all these kits it seems... each one offers something cool to someone and for their price range I guess.

Last edited by GlennOC; 02-25-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
With the Nordic and Tapco on hand, I'm not in a huge hurry to build an Archangel, but do appreciate the report and the pics. It looks like a good alternative to those kits already on the market.

It would be less costly than building a Nordic, yet offers more "tacti-cool-ness" than the factory Tapco... albeit at 2x the price.

I look forward to seeing the pics of others' Archangel builds.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
HR218

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennOC View Post
I'd probably say the Archangel kit is perhaps a poor mans Nordic or RB precision kit .
Thats probably the best way to sum it up right there? For me the biggest attraction is the AR look compared to a Tapco. When I looked at the comparison picks (the one with about 5 rifles side by side), the Archangel looked really good next to its AR inspiration. Scratching up or denting a Nordic or RB would make me cry but I could probably beat up an Archangel and not even notice it? Plus I wouldn't hesitate as much painting over it as I would a Nordic or RB. Hopefully the .22 booth at the next big gun show here in Vegas will have some to look at in person? This thing definitely has some good potential.

Last edited by HR218; 02-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
rotaryeye

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

You should post this pic here

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=266422
Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
zomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how is the butt stock attached? Will it accept a a2 stock?
Looks real tacticool
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Beckett72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to see yet another "tactical" stock available!
Missing 2 side rails, though...

Now added to the collection!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
GlennOC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The butt stock on this kit is your standard adjustable kind... the tube appears to also be molded into the lower. I guess it may be possible to perhaps cut off the tube and fabricate an A2 stock on there somehow, perhaps someone can try it

A nice bonus of this archangel kit is they did take the time to get many little details "molded" in that are cool "looking".

For example the castle nut and buffer tube plate are molded in (as well as the grip) and AR style Magazine release button and all mold "lines" to make the parts all seem functional is a funny but still cool touch since on a real AR15 rifle for example, once a grip is installed, it can also appear as one piece like it does on this kit.

There is a sort of flared magazine well, and parts of the handguard look like individual parts.

again once all together, it looks and feels nice... I shot it today for a bit...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
MICROGUNNER

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The only problem, for me, is I hate the appearance of that phony flash suppressor worse than the phony sound suppressor on my GSG-5.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
HR218

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the 1st thing I am going to do do (besides sand fit everything) is paint over that plastic haze grey color it has. A nice durable black primer will look good I think? I'll toss the plastic muzzle break for a good bull barrel.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
TheMilkman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the excellent write-up, I ordered one today as this was exactly what I was looking for when I bought my Tapco-UTG Rail setup. Don't need 4 rails and the weight really adds up. Guess that one will be put on another gun or sold off when this one comes in.

What is the weight of the gun with this stock attached? Hopefully see a decent weight difference to the Tapco set up.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
GlennOC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah.. I'm running the fake flash hider until a bull barrel comes... not a huge fan of that fake one either since the end looks weird that you can't see through it.

I should have taken some shots with just the regular thin barrel on it... it looks about the same... but bull barrel is the way to go I think.

once I hammered the fake flash hider / muzzle thing on stock barrel... it was on there pretty tight.. to lazy to get it off.

funny thing is the haze / fiber plastic is for some reason showing up more grey in the photos... in real life it's more a true black / darker color...

but a good paint may look good on it.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
HR218

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey milkman, my Tapco/UTG quad rail setup is for sale too after I saw this thread...lol
Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
GlennOC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would probably guess based on the weight from misc items I have is the archangel polymer front handguard would be lighter than say a full aluminum quad rail setup on the tapco...

as a sample on my setup after I assembled everything, when I took off the UTG metal sights, I could feel the difference (lighter).

The rifle balances pretty good.

One question I would have is if anyone out there has this kit coming to them and running a volquartsen trigger group assembly how that would fit in there, etc.... my guess is no problems... but have not ordered that part yet to see how it fits.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
h8mtv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The barrel shroud just looks ridiculous to me. Other than that not bad. I'd like to see one with a Majestic barrel.