Neos U22 4.5" vs 6" and the DLX ??? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Dr. Mike

Upstate NY in the woods! With lots of crazy critters...
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Mike
Neos U22 4.5" vs 6" and the DLX ???

Can any U22 owners tell me how much of a difference in accuracy a 6" version is over the 4.5"? Also, whats up with the new DLX model with adjustable trigger??? Does it exist? Is it worth the wait, has it been released yet, and whats the price? I keep hearing stories that the U22 trigger is as bad as a stock 10/22's trigger... I recently visited Beretta's website and there is not much info on the U22 in any flavor..
Thanks in advance!!!
Dr. Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 11:09 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Dr. Mike,

Depends on the distance you expect to shoot, and the purpose. It also depends on the balance in hand. I could shoot my bro in law's Ruger 5.5 bull barrel better than my 6 7/8" taper barrel. 6" barrel will have the potential of better accuracy and velocity. 4.5" barrel will be easier to swing tgt to tgt (falling plates, bowling pins or steel challenge). Ammo is the biggest factor to a given barrel's accuracy no (well nearly) matter what the barrel length. Keep an eye open in this and the 22 ammo forum for hints. Each pistol is different.

HTH
Old 04-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Buckelew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But Wait, There's More!

There's also supposed to be a 7.5" barrel coming out later this year.

More is always better, right?

Old 04-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Dr. Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking U22 Inox 6" it is.....

Well, it took a while but a 6" Inox is on the way! It was not an easy task... Deciding on the 6" was, but here in NY you can't buy a new gun unless it's an FC (Fired casing) model... With none to be had, I searched the web and found a new/pre-owed unit in another state... What a pain in the butt.....
None-the-less, its on the way...
Thanks again for the help...

Dr. Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 01:45 PM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to sygyzy
Can someone post all the models of the Neos? I get confused. There are different barrel lengths, blue and black grips, stainless and blued, adjustable triggers, etc.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Dr. Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neos.. Models

I did a bunch of checking before I got mine. It seems that currently you can find 4.5" and 6" in both blued and SS (Inox models) If you go on the Beretta website there is basically nothing listed on any of the models..
When I called Beretta, they said that currently blued and ss 4.5 and 6" models are being produced, and the the DLX (adjustable trigger, colored grip insert models) are not yet available. There are 7.5 models in the works, but not yet available either. The tech dept could not give me a time frame on delivery of any of them so I decided to just go with the 6" Inox model and spice up the trigger myself. From what the Tech told me, the DLX is basically the same gun, but you will be able to adjust the trigger pre-travel and end travel. Trigger pull wt. is not adjustable.
There is an unoffical website that has some photos of the new models if you do a google search it should pop up...
Being here in NY, it was almost impossible to find any U22. The only gun we can buy new are FC (fired casing models) and the techs at Beretta said they don't produce many FC U22s of any flavor.
I ended up finding one on GunBroker.com (currently there are 6 listed).
It's a great little pistol, it was well worth the hassle of trying the find one....
Hope this helps...

Dr. Mike

Here is a site:
http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...t_u22_neos.htm
Old 04-11-2003, 04:15 PM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen that site. That's the only source of information I have about them. I am asking my local dealers to see if they can get it for me. Buying one on gunbroker would work but I don't have a way to transfer it. If I did, the cost of shipping + the transfer fee would be nearly 1/3 the price of the gun. A bit excessive to me. I hope they get massed produced and more mainstream quickly.

How do you like your 6" version? Is it too heavy or large? Do you know if the colored grips from the DLX series will work on the current Inox and Standard models? I don't care about the adjustable trigger too much.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:58 PM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well just came back from a gun shop. They had the Neos in stock for $299. It's the regular blued version, not SS. 6" version. Heavy, very heavy. No heavier than a HK or whatever, but when you look at it, it looks very plasticky and light so your mind expects it to be light when you pick up.

I have a small build so I think the 6" model will be too much for me. I think if I decide to get it, I will need the 4.5" model for reduced weight and length.

The clips look kind of cheap, but so do the ones on the Walther P22 so I don't know if that is common to all 22's? The angle of the frame is odd but not uncomfortable. Both the Walther and Neos don't allow you to slide the slide back and leave it locked (like H&K, Glocks, etc). I don't know why this is? You have to insert an empty mag in there first.

Does anyone know what that wheel is around the trigger? It looks funny, and I don' t know what it does.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:01 PM
publius
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a Ruger mkII for years and love it. Brother had a Buckmark and it was a good pistol. his Buckmark got stolen and he replaced it with a Neos. Neither of us is impressed. Poor sights and a horrible trigger.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:00 AM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by sygyzy
Both the Walther and Neos don't allow you to slide the slide back and leave it locked (like H&K, Glocks, etc). I don't know why this is? You have to insert an empty mag in there first.
On both pistols I have found that the slide release moves up slightly. It's enough to catch and lock the slide back.

Quote:
Originally posted by sygyzy
Does anyone know what that wheel is around the trigger? It looks funny, and I don' t know what it does.
That what you turn to release the barrel. The barrel comes off and can be replaced with the different length barrels that are (or soon to be) available.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:25 PM
tacotrd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Neos option

I bought the 6" INOX version at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. I love it. My wife has put over 500 rounds through it herself. She is 5'3 100lbs to give you an idea of her size. I have a red dot on it, so that adds to the weight, and she has no trouble.

We just finished 1/2 brick in the back yard before dark, and no problems. I love this shooter. My wife has not shot anything before (ok, one shot from my .40SW) and seems comfortable with it.

The little wheel is used to remove the barrel. You press and hold a button beside the wheel, and turn the wheel. This removes the barrel from the frame.

As to being able to lock the slide open, without a mag, I do it all the time, so not sure what you saw. I am not sure it is the best practice, but I usually pull and lock the slide for storage. I normally don't have the mag in when I put it in the zipper bad.

I love my little Neos, shoot it a lot now. This little shooter has also helped me get my wife into it. I can also see an improvement in my shooting of larger bore weapons.

just my opinion....... go for the Neos
Old 04-12-2003, 08:54 PM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was told by the salesmen that these inexpensive guns (P22, Neos) can't lock back unless you pull the slide while you have an empty mag. I guess there is some way of doing it without a mag? That's cool, I didn't know.

I am surprised your wife likes it. I am 5'7", 130lb and found the 6 inch model way too long and heavy. The weight wasn't so bad but when I hold say a Glock or HK, it feels much more comfortable overall. Maybe I was just expecting a lighter gun. I will check it out again next week.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:13 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink

Sorry, but your "salesperson" needs to learn his product line...I just went to the safe to verify this. (OK, I was just looking for an excuse to fondle the P22 and NEOS....)

On both the P22 and NEOS you can easily lock the slide back without the mag.

On the P22 you pull the slide back until the slide release is lined up with the slide cutout closest to the muzzle. Push the lever up, and the slide release becomes the slide lock. You can not drop the hammer without the mag in place though. There is a mag disconnect safety built in. Kind of annoying to me, but that's just my own opinion.

On the NEOS you pull the slide back until the front edge of the slide is just past the release lever. Again, push the lever up and the slide release becomes the slide lock. There is NO mag diconnect on the NEOS as I recall, so it WILL fire if the trigger is pulled in a mag out, chambered round scenario. More motivation to pay attention to detail in my mind (feeble as it is.......)

HTH, and if you can get one of each (P22 and NEOS). The frames of both allow the longer or shorter barrels to be swapped out with whatever mood fits you that range session.

Remember, these are "plinkers", not serious target pistols. Yes the triggers could use some work (and could be easier to tweak for un non-gunsmith types) but for flat out fun, those are the two that go with me to each session.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:25 PM
sygyzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That must be it. I am use to gusn that lock themselves without having to push up on the slide release. When I was trying the P22 and Neos I also pushed up on the release, thinking that was the logical answer, but it didn't work. Maybe I didn't finese it enough

What does HTH stand for? Are you sure the P22 can swap barrels? I know the Neos can. I wonder if the barrels are colored. If I get a SS Neos, and change to a shorter or longer barrel, is the barrel visible? That means they have to make 4 different barrels - 2 SS and 2 Blued.

Thanks for your info.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:00 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

In order:

HTH - Hope this helps (I forget not everyone has given up on having a life and stays glued to the computer.)

Yes, the P22 can change bbls. Walther offers a kit to get whichever bbl you need (3.5 or 5")

The NEOS is a "bull" or heavy bbl so that means the entire bbl is visible. As far as I know they make a blue and stainless version of each bbl. Availability is another issue though. Member .38Super may have more info on that.