brass catchers, help choosing greatly appreciated! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2003, 03:09 PM
cpileri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
brass catchers, help choosing greatly appreciated!

Been looking into a brass catcher for a factory 10/22, unaltered except for See-thru scope mount and scope.
I think i would prefer a stiff one as opposed to a bag-type.
I have seen these at www.brasscatchers.com but have no experience with them, and haven't yet received a response to my email to them about just this topic.
I'd even be willing to make my own (if i could).
Any ideas?
thanks,
C-
Old 03-31-2003, 03:22 AM
cpileri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
btt

btt.
no one has ever tried one?
hmm
I just noticed the shower of sparks 9unburned powder, i guess) out the side when a 10/22 was fired with Aquila SSS, and figured a catcher would save on fire hazard as well as cleanup.
anybody?...
C-
Old 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM
cpileri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cool

Slingshot,
would you be willing to post or send me a few pictures, esp the part tht holds it to the rifle?
That sounds like the kind of project even I may have a good chance at being successful at!

I did get an answer from brasscatchers. Basically, they sid if I was willig to heat up their device to the point where the plastic was malleable, and then custom 'mold' it- that is press it into shape with my fingers- then yes, it would work.
OK, sure.
I'd love to buy one only to have the chance to ruin it on my own.
hardy har har.

anyway, if I have to shapeit myself, i may as well use something I would otherwise throw out!
C-

Old 03-31-2003, 06:24 PM
publius
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just wondering why you would want a brass catcher for a .22. I use them on centerfire autos so i won't lose my brass but why save .22 brass. Is it that you just don't want to leave it on the ground?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:15 AM
cpileri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cool

Thanks for the pictures!
That looks simple enough. I see you added 2 metal rivets. I may have to use staples or something similar.
Does it make an annoying clink when it fills up and brass is hitting it? or is it fairly quiet?
Oh, and most importantly:
Does soot and residue build up on the side of the action and require special cleaning? or does it just wipe right off?
C-
Old 04-01-2003, 10:48 AM
MikeL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's a slightly different design pictured on this thread:
https://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...=brass+catcher
Old 04-05-2003, 01:41 PM
cpileri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
got an answer

Finally got ananswer from brasscatchers.
The guy i spoke with was very nice, totally undrstood my problem.

Basically, no. A scope mount will be i the way of the catcher as is. But one could apply a little heat, not too much but his example was a mini butane torch, and soften up the plastic so that it could be custom formed to the shape of your particular receiver/scope/sight mount system.

I am thinking (scary): for the risk of ruining what i pay for, and doing some work myself I can have a somewhat professional looking brass catcher.

I didn't buy one.

Seems that for alot less money, i can make an oil bottle catcher.

So i will, and thanks for all the 'plans' for them!
C-
Old 06-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Fkorzen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning up after yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius View Post
Just wondering why you would want a brass catcher for a .22. I use them on centerfire autos so i won't lose my brass but why save .22 brass. Is it that you just don't want to leave it on the ground?
How about if you shoot in a range house and the club requires you to clean up after yourself?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Sparks1954
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very old post

Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by publius View Post
I would think a brass catcher (or deflector) for use with a .22lr semi-auto rifle would be a range courtesy item. Being pelted with hot brass from a shooter on your left can be quite distracting and perhaps unsafe. I know I would use one if it did not interfere with ejection of the spent cases. Just to be a good neighbor at the range.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:20 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a couple of 30" wood working clamps. I clamp them to the shooting table and spring clamp a tarp or beach towel to them. Stops the brass and no weight on the rifle. Most will fall into a cardboard box below the towel. Especially useful when shooting a Mini 14 which will get someone 3 or 4 benches down.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshot50 View Post
I would think a brass catcher (or deflector) for use with a .22lr semi-auto rifle would be a range courtesy item. Being pelted with hot brass from a shooter on your left can be quite distracting and perhaps unsafe. I know I would use one if it did not interfere with ejection of the spent cases. Just to be a good neighbor at the range.
Where's the "Like" button?!

Ever shoot silhouettes with a 10/22 on your left?
It can get interesting.

Peace,
Dave