Squirrel ammo? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
ohihunter2014

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel ammo?

What's your preferred 22lr ammo for squirrel hunting? I currently us CCI standard but after a chat a buddy and I had last night about RN ammo ricocheting off a squirrel head it got me wondering. I did shoot a gray squirrel in the head at 50yards and it didn't kill him so we think it ricocheted. How about a hollow point or segmented bullet? I also head the high velocity stuff cracks too loud and scares them away to use sub sonic rounds?

Your thoughts?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use CCI Sub-HPs. They shoot as well as SV, have same drop, and are within 0.1-0.2 mils POI in my sporters.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:26 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My thoughts are , it's very doubtful that a cci standard , ricocheted off a squirrels head. Why do you even think that?

Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Fiocchi SSHP, my go to in most of my rifles. Do a search as there are a couple threads on this very thing.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 PM
glockgod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley subsonic hollow point. Quiet-accurate-lethal!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Wiley Coyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Used Mini-Mag RNs for years and kept trying the 36 gr HPs. They never did group tight enough. This year I've tried the CCI 40 gr Sub-Sonic Segmented HPs. They do group tight. Haven't been able to get to the woods so I can't tell you how they kill Squirrels, but others on the Forum can.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've been using CCI Subsonics to hunt and Standard Velocity for targets. Same POI and fouling from both is identical so one doesn't affect the other negatively. Good combo, and the Subs have excellent terminal ballistics.

Not likely a bullet actually ricocheted off a squirrel skull but a grazing hit might seem like it did.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:51 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a .22 LR ricochet off a crow's wing. It was about 110 yards away standing by the edge of the pond. Saw the bullet hit the water several feet to the right of the crow. Broke the crows wing and had to chase him down to finish him off.

That's when I got the first .17 HMR I could get my hands on.

So it could have happened IMO.

As far as hunting ammo, I generally use subsonic HP's, but lately I have been using CCI QUIET SEGMENTED HP with good success.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:39 PM
ohihunter2014

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
My thoughts are , it's very doubtful that a cci standard , ricocheted off a squirrels head. Why do you even think that?
I shot it while hanging off the side of a tree and he dropped. I picked it up and it moved and moaned. I hit its head against the tree to kill it and it freaks out so I drop it and point blank shoot it in the head. Never had a squirrel do that before. Ear was blown clean off so maybe it ricocheted who knows. Why would the squirrel magically come back to life and try and get away from me as in carrying it down the path?
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM
ohihunter2014

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
I had a .22 LR ricochet off a crow's wing. It was about 110 yards away standing by the edge of the pond. Saw the bullet hit the water several feet to the right of the crow. Broke the crows wing and had to chase him down to finish him off.

That's when I got the first .17 HMR I could get my hands on.

So it could have happened IMO.

As far as hunting ammo, I generally use subsonic HP's, but lately I have been using CCI QUIET SEGMENTED HP with good success.
How far are your shots with the quiet ammo?
Old 12-25-2018, 07:20 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
How far are your shots with the quiet ammo?
Around 25 yards or less. I don't take any shots much longer than that (with any ammo) because I don't want to take the chance on wounding one and it getting away.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:36 AM
zxstevens54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's weird. I have been using 40 grain blazer RN bullets for years on squirrels. If I take my 22 instead the the hmr, I use RN. Never had any ricochet and never had any crawl off.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:36 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
I shot it while hanging off the side of a tree and he dropped. I picked it up and it moved and moaned. I hit its head against the tree to kill it and it freaks out so I drop it and point blank shoot it in the head. Never had a squirrel do that before. Ear was blown clean off so maybe it ricocheted who knows. Why would the squirrel magically come back to life and try and get away from me as in carrying it down the path?
My nephew once barked a squirrel. He shot it out of a tree with a .36 muzzleloader. When I picked up the squirrel, there was not a mark on it.

To make sure it was dead (was afraid it might revive), I squeezed the squirrel's chest with my thumbs for a few seconds to stop its heart and breathing (this is a trick I learned a long time ago from one of George Herter's books).

When I processed the squirrel, the only injury was a large bruise across the sternum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another time I was hunting with a .32 muzzleloader. Shot at a big fox squirrel but did not kill it. The squirrel took off through the trees and the dog and I finally re-tree'ed it. Shot it and killed it. The first shot had made a very neat .32 caliber hole dead center of the squirrel's ear. A quarter of an inch lower on the first shot and . . .

Strange and unusual things happen sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Couple of squirrels I shot with Rem subsonic HP's were very unusual kills. The head shots were such that there was about a 3/8" tunnel completely through the squirrel's head. You could actually see through the hole. The only plausible explanation to me is that the bullet hit a branch causing it to expand before hitting the squirrel's head. In all my squirrel hunting, I only saw this about two times.

Last edited by toomanyguns; 12-25-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:51 AM
JimH

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There is a difference between a richochet and deflection...
Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 AM
semtex

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley subsonic hollow point. Bang Thump Dead.