Best Mark iv out of the box - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:16 PM
DivineTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best Mark iv out of the box

hey yall sorry if this is been asked before couldn't find anything, im looking into getting a ruger mark iv. i wanted to know witch one has the best accuracy out of the box? But still be able to fully upgrade down the line.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM
pistolboo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting question, I doubt that there is any difference comparing equal barrel lengths, can't see that the slimmer tapered Standard's barrel would be less accurate than the Target's bull barrel. But of course only a proper side by side test would be definitive.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:49 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You won't be able to tell. Just get the one you like best.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There is really no such thing as "best". They are all of equal quality and inherent accuracy. They just differ in finish,weight and features that may make one more suitable for a particular use over another. IF you have a particular use in mind, let us know, otherwise, buy what you like / can afford. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM
DivineTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
There is really no such thing as "best". They are all of equal quality and inherent accuracy. They just differ in finish,weight and features that may make one more suitable for a particular use over another. IF you have a particular use in mind, let us know, otherwise, buy what you like / can afford. You can't go wrong with any of them.
i really just want something i can practice accuracy so i want one with the best stock sights with that in mind maybe either the Competition or the Target but still one day upgrade it with such items like trigger kit from volquartsen
Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the Competition and Hunter for sight radius and steady hold. I prefer stainless frames over polymer or aluminum for weight and strength. I would not even look at a Mk model with fixed sights, if such a Mk even exists. My use range from no1 target shooting, 2nd spinners/steel, a little plinking and a very little woods carry. This is not a kit gun for back pack hiking or a fit my jacket pocket pistol. For that, I would not be getting any Mk.

My Comp is a MKIII and I like the grip. The MkIV comp is a little different grip. I have a Mk IV hunter with the stock grip and it ok. Not quite as good. I am ok with it. A serious shooter might want to upgrade either. I have wondered if Ruger does a little better QC or more care with the comps. They "seem" to shoot better. Dont know, nobody does.

And I would not own either one if I not for the trigger upgrades. The Mk II trigger was last of the ok, Mk triggers.

That is just me. You know what they say about opinions. ...

And for full honesty, some (most) top shooters have found they do better with a heavy bull barrel more like 5" than 7. Or they have a 5 inch barrel with a front sight the extends out beyond the front of the barrel. I am not at that level. Sight radius, weight and follow through works for me.

Last edited by fourbore; 11-14-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:40 PM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best Mark iv out of the box

The Target is probably in line with the Hunter. The competition has a special grip with a thumb rest.

Honestly, any will shoot beyond your capabilities.

I have a Target Mark IV which has an integral Suppressor.

It is quite accurate out of the box, and after 1000 rounds its trigger is now 4 pounds. As you shoot, the parts work better together. You can polish internals to smooth out the action but I do that only to check for minimal burrs. I donít want to touch the trigger or sear.

My friend has a Mark IV Tactical which is good but the factory trigger is 6 pounds. Heavy triggers are and can attribute to less accuracy because of the interface with the user.

Although standard ammunition is already subsonic, I wanted it to handle actual subsonic 22 LR.

I ordered a recoil rod and springs by Volquartsen, Tandemkross Eagle Ejector and Titanium firing pin.

https://instagram.com/p/BqK8Ce3njrW/

This is with Remington Subsonic ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 11-14-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:24 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mk IV Target, which is accurate enough to make me think I'm doing well with a red dot on it.

I also have a 22/45 (on a "Standard" grip angle VQ frame) with a 4" barrel that is stupidly accurate, and almost easier to shoot with open sights than the the other with the red dot. Both have the same pattern of grip panel, swoopy stippled from Altamont, because it allows a solid grip.

The 22/45-as-was:

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is "You never know till you try" Any of them will be more accurate than you can shoot them, unless it's in a Ransom Rest.

Last edited by SailDesign; 11-14-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just sharing opinions here. My favorite of the MK series pistols has always been the 5.5 inch heavy bbl Target model in stainless steel. It has adjustable sights, enough weight to give a steady hold for target shooting, and yet short enough that it could easily be carried in a quality holster if desired. I do not own a MKIV pistol yet, but I have owned this equivalent model in both MKI and MKII pistols. No matter which one you choose, upgrading internal components, trigger, sear, and hammer kit by Volquartsen will give you a trigger pull that is well suited for target shooting.

These are just some of my preferences.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineTimes View Post
hey yall sorry if this is been asked before couldn't find anything, im looking into getting a ruger mark iv. i wanted to know witch one has the best accuracy out of the box? But still be able to fully upgrade down the line.
Hi DT and Welcome to the RimFireCentral Ruger MkIV pistol forum!

IMHO, the MkIV's All need some help out-of-the-box to achieve their mac accuracy potential. My Hunter O-O-T-B pull weight was 5.25# with a long pre-travel and long over-travel. My 22\45 Lite pull weight was 5.75#, also with long PT & OT! I wanted both for precision target practicing, so felt I needed to do some accurizing on their trigger and actions (see HERE...boring, but got me where I wanted to be)!

I really believe that any of their MkIV models have enough precision and accuracy to "shoot better" off a rest than hand holding (at least in my case)!! As others have already stated, they'll precisely shoot well beyond "most shooter" capabilities!

As Tacoma has clearly summarized:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Good Luck with whichever you pick!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 11-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 AM
Ruger454SRH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking i bought 2 MKIVs a year apart

a stainless target and then a 6" standard. target is excellent , no problems at ALL, very pleased. standard, not good at all, ended up sending it back to ruger for a complete rebuild , a brand new pistol with MANY problems, including shooting a 6-8" PATTERN at 15 yards ! they redid the crown, replaced the grip frame, etc etc!! test target shows excellent groups now, and all the other mechanical problems are fixed. pick a MKIV and you should be happy, mine was just a fluke, probably built on a mon or fri !!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineTimes View Post
DT,

OEM OOB accuracy? Bet they would all shoot a single jagged hole from 25 yds when set up in a RansomRest! IMHO, YOU (and me) are the wildcards in achieving the best accuracy out of any MkIV, or for that matter, Any firearm!!!

However, weight-balance-barrel length-grips-trigger action-ergonomics (all variations throughout the MkIV line up) are all PERSONAL criteria that only YOU can quantify as-to-your Liking to achieve the "Best" precision accuracy...given your capabilities! If you have access to a Ruger LGS, you might try on for size several of the different MkIV models to see what might be the best fit and match for You!!!

Now, once you purchase and get it out-of-the-box, there are some accurizing tricks\parts that can assist you in achieving marginally better accuracy results...just depends on how much more of an investment you are willing to make!?!

Still, as I have learned, Nothing beats the PPP's (Practice, Practice, Practice)!

Ted
Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I bought a Mk IV Standard and out of the box I was able to shoot about a 3 inch group at 15 yards off a rest. Picture below. Added an AT3 Tactical red dot sight and groups shrank to 1 inch. Assuming that you don't get a lemon, I honestly think that the aiming system has more of an effect on accuracy than any inherent design difference among the Mk IV models.

Just my 2 cents, of course. I should add that I am not a great shot with open sights on a pistol. The targets when using a red dot make me look like I know what I am doing. So buy the one whose look/price tickles your fancy. Then put a $73 AT3 on it and see what it can really do.

Out of the box:

With a red dot and VQ trigger/sear (and wooden grips added for bling):

And the targets with the red dot:

Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From everything I've read, the target models hold tighter groups than the light models. I have a MK IV, 22/45 Target that shoots one hole, 25 yard groups, off a rest, with Mini-Mags.

Last edited by agksimon; 01-05-2019 at 04:27 AM.