Altamont wrap around grips - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Altamont wrap around grips

Looking for info from anybody that has them.
How is the fit to metal?
Do they feel clunky?

30 years ago I used to shoot silhouette with a couple Rugers, mark I with a Clark barrel, and a Mark II 10” when they came out.
I made wrap around for mine out of walnut. And some for a few other guys. I spent a bit of time hand fitting to a users hand.
They were nice.
Since these are mass produced. How is the feel? Thinking of getting a couple pairs for my current Rugers.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:43 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is strictly a personal observation but they are too large for my (medium size) hands. The panel grips are far more comfortable.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So then they might be good for me, large hands, however then they might be to big for my wife or daughter.
When I made mine they were pretty thin around the front strap inside the finger grooves. But, these look thick??

Maybe I could just buy a set without checkering and reshape them and then finish them with a urethane.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking i love mine

Altamont smooth wrap around finger grooves. my hands are not really big, these feel excellent to me. fit is AMAZING, the steel alignment pins work great. try some, but may be too big for a child or womans hands !
Old 08-28-2018, 09:16 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair1957 View Post
Looking for info from anybody that has them.
How is the fit to metal?
Do they feel clunky?
Since these are mass produced. How is the feel?
LH,

The Ruger MkIV 40159 Blued Target and the 40160 Hunter come with the beautiful finger grooved grips (believe made by Altamont).

My SS Hunter's grips fit perfectly snug on the grip frame, has a solid feel (not clunky) and with my large hands, fits my grip well. Overall, looks like the Altamont line-up would be very similar to the Ruger's Target grips.

However, there were a couple of negatives I found with the Ruger grips:
1. The finish on the OEM Ruger is not grippy and became a little slippery in the summer's hot humid weather.
2. I had VQ Volthane thumb grips on a MkII Competition and really liked the thumb rest, the pronounced finger grip valleys and the heal support at the base...these Ruger's "hint" at it, but fall short in those areas.

IMO, if you can find a local MkIV distributor (Cabellas, etc.), you may be able to try-for-fit the two Rugers that have these type of grips included!

As of now, my MkIV Hunter sports the VQ Laminated wooden grips (has great thumb rest, deep finger grooves and a very supportive hand heal plate). The VQ holds the 47oz Hunter very steady, balances the forward heavy Hunter profile and fits my hand like a perfect glove!!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger MkIV Hunter & Target Grips.JPG (102.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger MkIV Hunter & VQ Laminated Grips-3.JPG (118.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Grips are a weird thing. On any plastic centerfire I have, I usually have either the medium or small inserts depending on the gun. But my USP45 is a big fat brick, and I have a Hogue Handall on it which makes it even fatter and I won't take it off. My MKIV standard has panel Hogue G10's which are pretty slim, but my 22/45 has a Hogue wraparound which is fatter. I guess I just have to feel thing thing to tell if I like it or not. My Smith 686 has a Hogue that I bought which is ultra slim, but I shoot it well with old 80's target stocks too. I look at these pictures above me and think, no way. But I haven't held them either, and I might just love them. Any chance you can hold or even shoot someone else's is a win situation.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking ruger factory grips

ARE made for them by Altamont, just in different patterns. ruger charges MORE, LOL. I just bought the Altamont MKIV flat panel basket weave grips in walnut. look good, feel good , darker wood than I expected, but , it is growing on me!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve tried to grab one at my lgs. Seems every time I get around to get there, one with the Altamont grips is gone.... lol
Old 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive noticed that Alta. Does have wrap around for my mark ii. They have a thumb rest and deeper grooves?!?!? I wonder why the change.

I do like the volquartsen. But wanting a matched pair, $300 for two pair of grips is more than I want to put into grips. They are closely designed to the ones I used to make. But I didn’t make the mag we’ll end as large.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Ive noticed that Alta. Does have wrap around for my mark ii. They have a thumb rest and deeper grooves?!?!? I wonder why the change.

I do like the volquartsen. But wanting a matched pair, $300 for two pair of grips is more than I want to put into grips. They are closely designed to the ones I used to make. But I didnt make the mag well end as large.
LH,

You're right, Altamont has deeper grooves and a nice thumb rest for not only the MkII, but also for the MkIII! Shame they smoothed everything out so much with the MkIV as overall, their pricing is great!

Actually, was just "looking" at the VQ laminated grips, but -Father's Day- gift certificates took care of the investment...so then decided they were a good value!

"Knowing Now" how nice they improved my grip control on the Hunter, I'd have spent the $$$ from the piggy bank anyway!!

Ted
Old 08-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder how much fitting I’d have to do on a Mark III set. Just the safety? And maybe a little on the inside too.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I wonder how much fitting Id have to do on a Mark III set. Just the safety? And maybe a little on the inside too.
Possibly...give Altamont a call, might be an easy adaptation!?!

Ted
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m already awaiting a return call or email.
I can’t ever get any answer when I call. Had to leave a msg.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I really should not comment on this post. But if I remember I have seen several posts where the grip screw holes do not perfectly line up. Just letting you know. If I am wrong please correct me.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I really should not comment on this post. But if I remember I have seen several posts where the grip screw holes do not perfectly line up. Just letting you know. If I am wrong please correct me.
I’ll have to compare. I hadn’t hear that.