Mark IV sight elevation aggravation - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,816
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV sight elevation aggravation



Log in to see fewer ads
I had a chance to shoot three Ruger pistols, this past weekend, a 1950 Ruger Standard, a 50th Anniversary Mark II, and a 2017 Mark IV Target. I am not a very good shot with handguns, and all shooting was down at 5, 7, and 10 yards offhand.

Results this time were a bit different than the last time I had these three generations out. The RST was, once again, the most accurate in my hands, with consistent grouping. Sights were pretty much dead on. Unlike before, this time the Mark II was a close second in accuracy, consistency, and group size. I was pleased with that. However...

The Mark IV gave me fits, shooting consistently low even at those short distances. I kept making small adjustments to the elevation on the "target" rear sight, and finally had the thing hitting at the proper elevation. Unfortunately, at that point the adjustment screw was basically not engaging the threads and I could lift the entire rear sight arm up without resistance. Argh! I decided it was time to let it rest overnight. Next morning, I found an exact size bit for the screw, carefully reseated it, and started over. I ended up with it hitting at the proper elevation, but there is practically no further adjustment range left before the screw would come completely loose again. And why Ruger uses two different size screws for windage and elevation is beyond me.

Maybe its just me. Or maybe Ruger could have used a bit longer spring under the rear sight arm and a slightly longer elevation screw to allow more elevation range. I can live with it at short ranges, but I'm not confident I can get on target if I move back to 25 yards. Adding just a bit of insult to injury, it shot noticeably worse than the RST and the Mark II, with groups almost double the size of the other two pistols. Perhaps that was just an aberration, and next time will be better.

On the plus side, I had zero malfunctions with the RST & Mark IV, and a couple of jams with the Mark II (didn't have that problem before). And, that McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader (don't start, that's what they call it) is I think one of the greatest bits of accessory gear ever invented. 3-5 seconds to load a 10 round mag; what's not to like?

Last edited by cabin22; 03-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM
jstanfield103's Avatar
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2010
Location: 
KY
Posts: 
2,439
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is something that might help you. It is a taller rear sight blade easily replaced. 7 to 10 yards is really close maybe the factory sights are not meant to sight that close. I don't know but this sight will help you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-Rear-...YAAOSwpDdVGMco
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:50 PM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
East of Eden
Posts: 
82
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
I had a chance to shoot three Ruger pistols, this past weekend, a 1950 Ruger Standard, a 50th Anniversary Mark II, and a 2017 Mark IV Target. I am not a very good shot with handguns, and all shooting was down at 5, 7, and 10 yards offhand.

Results this time were a bit different than the last time I had these three generations out. The RST was, once again, the most accurate in my hands, with consistent grouping. Sights were pretty much dead on. Unlike before, this time the Mark II was a close second in accuracy, consistency, and group size. I was pleased with that. However...

The Mark IV gave me fits, shooting consistently low even at those short distances. I kept making small adjustments to the elevation on the "target" rear sight, and finally had the thing hitting at the proper elevation. Unfortunately, at that point the adjustment screw was basically not engaging the threads and I could lift the entire rear sight arm up without resistance. Argh! I decided it was time to let it rest overnight. Next morning, I found an exact size bit for the screw, carefully reseated it, and started over. I ended up with it hitting at the proper elevation, but there is practically no further adjustment range left before the screw would come completely loose again. And why Ruger uses two different size screws for windage and elevation is beyond me.

Maybe its just me. Or maybe Ruger could have used a bit longer spring under the rear sight arm and a slightly longer elevation screw to allow more elevation range. I can live with it at short ranges, but I'm not confident I can get on target if I move back to 25 yards. Adding just a bit of insult to injury, it shot noticeably worse than the RST and the Mark II, with groups almost double the size of the other two pistols. Perhaps that was just an aberration, and next time will be better.

On the plus side, I had zero malfunctions with the RST & Mark IV, and a couple of jams with the Mark II (didn't have that problem before). And, that McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader (don't start, that's what they call it) is I think one of the greatest bits of accessory gear ever invented. 3-5 seconds to load a 10 round mag; what's not to like?
Call Ruger customer service & ask for the next size taller rear sight blade (they will probably just send it to you for free)

Over the years I have had to call a number of gun manufacturers to get them to send a taller or shorter rear sight to get my gun to hit POI @ POA for me.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
1,818
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
...and/or get a shorter front sight.

Remember - at zero yards, the bullet leaves the muzzle about 3/4" lower than the front sight. You need to shoot far enough away to give the bullet time/space to rise to your POA. Otherwise, you just need to aim a little bit higher.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
East of Eden
Posts: 
82
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
...and/or get a shorter front sight.

Remember - at zero yards, the bullet leaves the muzzle about 3/4" lower than the front sight. You need to shoot far enough away to give the bullet time/space to rise to your POA. Otherwise, you just need to aim a little bit higher.
Shouldn't make a lot of difference as the rear sight is adjustable. He is running out of adjustment (spring tension) at 5, 7, & 10 yards.

With a proper height rear sight blade he should EASILY be able to get POI @ POA at 5, 7, 10, 20 & 25 yards without running out of adjustment.

I zero at 25 yards so am right on at 25 yards & again right on at around 13 +/- yards but nowhere between 6 yards & 25 yards am I off by more the 1/2" in POI height.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:15 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,816
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Folks - Thanks for the responses. I did not know there were different height blades for the rear sight. I will contact Ruger to see if they can help on this issue.

When I said it was hitting low, I meant it was shooting 2-3" low at those distances, before I backed it all the way out, reseated it, and started over. Now the POA & POI are just about the same, and the elevation screw is probably 1/2 turn away from being all the way out. I doubt that will allow much wiggle room for longer distances, i.e., 25 yards.

Thanks again for your information & suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM
jstanfield103's Avatar
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2010
Location: 
KY
Posts: 
2,439
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I imagine the sight was originally set from the factory close to 25 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,816
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I imagine the sight was originally set from the factory close to 25 yards.
Oh I hope not. Not if it was 2-3" low at 5-10 yards. I need to spend more time with the Mark IV. It wasn't that bad the last time out, so I was a bit surprised this time, especially compared to the RST & Mark II. Perhaps it is a short blade, maybe a weak spring, maybe a undersize elevation screw, maybe that bull barrel got too heavy for me to hold up...

I will get this figured out. Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Maroy

Join Date: 
Mar 2017
Posts: 
68
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabin, I have had the same issue with my MK Competition. At 10 yds I have no tension on the elevation screw. I spoke with Ruger and they do not have a longer spring. I am compensating using Ky windage but someday Iíll pull the sight and try to find a longer spring at ACE or somewhere.

I asked the question earlier and several suggested planning down the front sight.

You are not in the boat alone.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 AM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
East of Eden
Posts: 
82
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Folks - I did not know there were different height blades for the rear sight. I will contact Ruger to see if they can help on this issue.
Unfortunately, Ruger customer service is usually very helpful but when it comes to rear sight blades they are usually not up to speed on fits what & sight sizes per gun usage.

From my past experience with Ruger (not on the Mark4 though) I have had to do all the research myself before calling with either a part number or sight fitment to what gun.

The only Mark4 rear sight blade I have requested was a square notch to replace my Hunter's V notch-- this they had no trouble looking up.

You can try just calling & see what happens when asking for a higher rear sight blade. There seems to be a number of shooters that have Mark 4 rear sight blade height issues so maybe they have it sorted out & have a higher rear blade in the pipe line.

If the above doesn't work then you will have to do your homework & measure your rear blade height & notch width (if shooting paper maybe you even want a narrower rear blade notch).

Ruger seems to measure their rear sight height from the very bottom of the lower wedge (total height) so you will probably have to remove your rear blade to get an accurate measurement on overall height.

Once you know your blade total height & notch width then you can then sniff around on line & find a slightly higher rear blade with a proper notch width, then you need to find the part number (or Ruger gun usage) of the sight that you need (if you want a white outline blade then make sure you include that in your searching).

I have found that if I call Ruger with a specific rear blade number or exact gun usage & tell them that is what is needed to solve my POI/POA problem they can usually supply that rear sight blade.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,816
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm. This may be more complicated than I thought. Regardless, I appreciate your responses and experience on dealing with Ruger and the need for more research. I have other projects & commitments to keep me occupied for a while. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2018, 01:00 PM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
East of Eden
Posts: 
82
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Hmmm. This may be more complicated than I thought. Regardless, I appreciate your responses and experience on dealing with Ruger and the need for more research. I have other projects & commitments to keep me occupied for a while. Thanks.


Try the phone call to customer service first (call early for shortest wait time)

Ruger customer service___ 1-336-949-5200

It's possible they have a higher rear sight blade in the system already & click/click & it's on it's way to you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,816
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Called Ruger CS this morning and the lady was pleasant and helpful. Ruger only makes one notched blade for the rear sight, which is what you get with the Target model. They do make two V-notch rear blades, High or Low, but they don't specify the relative heights of those. Doesn't matter, since I wasn't interested in the V-notch anyway. Ruger only makes one post style front sight, which is 0.430" in height. I didn't ask about the FO sight that accompanies the V-notched pistols.

So, my plan is to get a lower post front sight, and perhaps a second lower front sight with a green fiber optic in it. Midway has a couple by Tactical Solutions that should fit the Mark IV and measure 0.365, so we'll see how it goes. It will be a couple weeks before I can make the swap and try the new sight(s).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
1,818
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
So, my plan is to get a lower post front sight...
There ya go!

It's very common for the (fixed rear sight) standard models to shoot low and need a little filed off the top of the front sight. No big deal, but you have to choose what distance you're gonna be zeroed in at and live with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
East of Eden
Posts: 
82
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Called Ruger CS this morning and the lady was pleasant and helpful. Ruger only makes one notched blade for the rear sight, which is what you get with the Target model. They do make two V-notch rear blades, High or Low, but they don't specify the relative heights of those. Doesn't matter, since I wasn't interested in the V-notch anyway. Ruger only makes one post style front sight, which is 0.430" in height. I didn't ask about the FO sight that accompanies the V-notched pistols.

So, my plan is to get a lower post front sight, and perhaps a second lower front sight with a green fiber optic in it. Midway has a couple by Tactical Solutions that should fit the Mark IV and measure 0.365, so we'll see how it goes. It will be a couple weeks before I can make the swap and try the new sight(s).
Yes, a lower front sight will work but Ruger does make a taller rear sight blade. They apparently just don't list it for the Ruger mark 4 pistol.

As I mentioned above you will probably have to do you own research to find a higher rear blade (possibly from an SP 101 or other smaller frame gun with an adjustable rear sight).

If you can get a part number for a taller rear blade then in most cases the Ruger customer rep will send you one. I have had great response from Ruger reps but they don't seem to have the ability, or parts listings available, for them to work outside the exact model that you called in on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x