Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenn View Post

Now as for the extractor, put a round in, get a bright light, pull the charging handle back slowly, you will see the rim will not go past that lip on the magazine because it is the extractor. End of story on what is and isn't the extractor.
Sorry but you got that wrong.
The extractor is in the bolt, and extracts the round from the chamber.
The lip on the magazine ejects a fired round.
If you pull the magazine while a live round is in the chamber, it will be ejected by the ejector in the trigger group, which is solely for that purpose.

That is the end of the story.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In this thread Midwest swiss shows a alteration of the magazine lip to fix stovepipes. But the alteration is minimal, and you can see where the problem is. It only appears on a small amount of magazines. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...&highlight=fix
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
Sorry but you got that wrong.
The extractor is in the bolt, and extracts the round from the chamber.
The lip on the magazine ejects a fired round.
If you pull the magazine while a live round is in the chamber, it will be ejected by the ejector in the trigger group, which is solely for that purpose.

That is the end of the story.
Sorry slip of the tongue. Change extractor it ejector.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott View Post
Now as for the extractor, put a round in, get a bright light, pull the charging handle back slowly, you will see the rim will not go past that lip on the magazine because it is the extractor. End of story on what is and isn't the extractor.

i think your confusing extractor with ejector. the magazine is an ejector.
i just hope nobody reads this and starts chewing up their magazines.
best of luck to you
No....I won't be chewing up any of my 52 year old magazines. I've been reading his posts in disbelief.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott View Post

i think your confusing extractor with ejector. the magazine is an ejector.
i just hope nobody reads this and starts chewing up their magazines.
best of luck to you
Brain fart and is now corrected.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:30 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDThornton View Post
No....I won't be chewing up any of my 52 year old magazines. I've been reading his posts in disbelief.
Well some after markets do not have it on and I ran one from a club member and it worked fine.

Why the disbelief? It works like a charm and it's not as it it will blow anything up.
I shouldn't have to spend another 400 bucks on a 400 buck gun to get it to reliably eject a case.

Here is an old thread and it's obvious Ruger still hasn't cured the issue and has no plans to.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=305913&page=2
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Such a pain in the butt to diagnose the different jams. In 01 I bought a Walmart special 22" model. And it was a jam-o-matic out of the box. Before I had gotten into replacing parts and such myself, this one went back to Ruger 3 times over the next few months. First time they replaced the magazine - uh, thanks but no thanks. 2nd time they said they replaced the bolt. Both times it jammed ever shot or two. Never ran a full mag through it clean, and all I had was the factory mag. Third time I wrote them a big note about all of the stuff that they did and how it didn't work. They replaced the barrel that time and said the extractor groove was cut too shallow in it. No more problems with it after that.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
In this thread Midwest swiss shows a alteration of the magazine lip to fix stovepipes. But the alteration is minimal, and you can see where the problem is. It only appears on a small amount of magazines. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...&highlight=fix
Thank You sir for that link. Looks like I have to look at my mags more closely and see if they are like his.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Video showing the mag ejector.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooq-LyqC0Pk
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another thread that might be of interest to anyone else that has this issue.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=562539

I am now a happy
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 PM
deevemon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another video that explains the extraction/ejection system of the 10/22. As a newbie to this gun, I find these types of issues very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTz-vFLpa-s
Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
USMCDOC
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Such a pain in the butt to diagnose the different jams.
Yeah.. Sometimes they can look the same.. but there is a difference between blueberry and blackberry jams..
Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 AM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I carefully looked at al my other magazines by cycling a round through slowly and the extractor holds it tight and well above that section of the magazine.

So it doesn't seem to be the issue with mine. I never touched that section on my modded one and it never stove pipes now.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:00 AM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevemon View Post
Another video that explains the extraction/ejection system of the 10/22. As a newbie to this gun, I find these types of issues very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTz-vFLpa-s
Went through that one a few weeks ago with no success but thanks for the link.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:08 PM
DBenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I gave two modified mags to a LEO at my range who has the same issue I had and he is doing the mod on his 2 year old 10/22.

It is obvious Ruger doesn't care anymore to sort this issue out by the new posts here. Sad really since the rifle is nice to shoot.

hxxp://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/330657-new-10-22-jam-o-matic-after-500-rounds.html