Old 01-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
870 Rebuild

Before and After
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (223.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (234.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM
homernels

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job sir. What's it's story?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homernels View Post
Nice job sir. What's it's story?
Thank you. I am told it was a "company gun" bought by a survey company for bear protection on jobs out in the bush. It got tossed into airplanes and the bottoms of boats, dropped in the rocks and dirt while they were surveying, etc. The finish was awful. You could see where they had scrubbed off rust taking most of the bluing with it. The receiver was virtually bare and the stock had gouges and embedded dirt. The bore and internals, however, were in great shape. In the case of the bore, it shone bright like a mirror making me wonder if it had ever even been shot. The action was tight, and except for some minor surface rust in the trigger group everything looked great. I removed the carrier and its spring an plunger, along with the safety and its spring and ball detent and threw them along with the remainder of the trigger group in the ultrasonic cleaner. When that was done I scrubbed any nooks and crannies that a bronze brush would fit into, then sprayed the whole thing out with Action Blaster then hosed it down until it was dripping with RemOil. After it soaked for a while I blew it out with the compressor and reassembled it using a new safety detent ball and spring and a new heavy duty carrier dog spring like they use in the police model. I took the old cruddy stock off and removed the old magazine tube spring and follower and discarded them and took the barrel and action to get bead blasted and Parkerized. When I got it back, I reassembled it using a new firing pin rebound spring, replaced the MIM extractor with a machined one, and installed a J&S Hardware delrin follower and Wolff extra power magazine tube spring. The stock was replaced with an 870P synthetic stock I had laying around, and the trigger group was reinstalled using Mesa Tactical anti-walk pins. Not much Express left except the synthetic trigger group housing (which I actually prefer) and the Express-style magazine tube detent system, which does not really have a downside IMO with the factory one piece extended magazine tube. I had a lot of fun with this project. So much, in fact that I am going to keep an eye out for other ratty looking 870's.

Last edited by Big-Dummy; 01-26-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 PM
homernels

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you did a thorough job. Was it a pawn shop find? My 870 isn't exotic at all. 20 ga. Youth model I bought new at Academy and used the Rem. $60 rebate. Resides in the bedroom corner. Hope you find another project gun soon and do it up nice, too.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:16 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Nice rescue and a good idea seeking those out. I've seen Remington Expresses and Wingmasters going for a song when hunting seasons are closed.

Several years back, my brother purchased a little shot Wingmaster 12 ga. for just over $200. That is less than then the budget priced Express models. He was looking for a camp security gun as well, so he cut the vent rib to 20" and installed a new bead - done. Its been nothing but goodness with that gun.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That turned out to be a great looking shotgun. Nice work.

Mals
Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
That turned out to be a great looking shotgun. Nice work.

Mals
Thank you.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:10 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great job! For me, manganese or zinc phosphate is the correct finish for a fighting shotgun.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Great job. It is nice to see someone take the time to refinish a firearm that really needs it.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Great job! For me, manganese or zinc phosphate is the correct finish for a fighting shotgun.
I agree. This one is done in zinc phosphate Parkerizing. It's interesting how the color varied between the receiver and barrel. The barrel came out almost black, the barrel ring dark gray, and the rest light gray. I gave the finish a good soaking with Boeshield T9 and wiped of the excess so it should be good to go with regard to corrosion prevention. I kind of prefer manganese Parkerizing for the consistent black color and grainier finish, but nobody around here does it. Pretty much Wild West Guns is it unless you want to ship the work out of state, and I like to keep my money local when I can.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Great job. It is nice to see someone take the time to refinish a firearm that really needs it.
Thank you. There were a couple of them but its rack mate had some rust inside the bore at the muzzle, which was a deal breaker for me. External surface rust can be bead blasted off and any remaining pitting is mostly lost under the Parkerizing. I might have to find another because I have a walnut 870P stock set laying around doing nothing. Maybe I can find one with worn bluing and no rust and have it re-blued. It would be cool to cut a vent rib barrel back to 24" or so and convert it to choke tubes with an orange fiber optic bead like the old Ithaca Ray-Bar sight.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Very nice, I have a 1941 Ithica 37, hand me down. I have a new right hand safety that needs to be installed along with a refinish on the outside metal. Stock could use a bit of length along with a new pad. It has a adj choke with a comp on the end. Overall, its tight, I think it was a dedicated rabbit gun, but it could be my new rainy day gun.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
Very nice, I have a 1941 Ithica 37, hand me down. I have a new right hand safety that needs to be installed along with a refinish on the outside metal. Stock could use a bit of length along with a new pad. It has a adj choke with a comp on the end. Overall, its tight, I think it was a dedicated rabbit gun, but it could be my new rainy day gun.
Thank you. I like a good pump gun. I've got my Dad's Auto-5 and Superposed and they are nice, but I'd grab one of my 870's any day for field work or the trap range.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:58 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Thanks Big, I also have two 870's, a new tactical, ghost ring, extended mag, pic rail. I got it for the rail, I can mount a shotgun scope, screw in a turkey choke, and its a great woods gun for turkey. Then I have my dad's wingmaster, 28" mod, 2 and 3/4 chamber with a slug barrel on the side. One great pheasant gun.