Bad Day at the Range - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Speedo2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I am now questioning my recall of the events. Mostly because I cannot provide answers to these questions:
- Where is the missing bullet that may have been lodged in the barrel (assuming that it was a squib from the cartridge with the congealed powder?
- How could a cartridge with congealed powder launce a projectile?
- Why was the rifle not damaged from the second shot of the second magazine?

I've found that the range where I was shooting has security cameras and I'm meeting with the RO this weekend to get a copy of the recordings from that day. Hopefully that will provide some resolution to the above Q's. Also, I'm holding off formally contacting both Ruger & Hornady, until after I've secured that recording and can verify all of my statements to them. I will update this post after a review of the video. -S2
Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wild guess. Back to back squib stuck near muzzle, second low pressure round pushed first squib out of bore and in turn bullet stuck in bore but pressure too low to blow case, number 3 full power-BANG
Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a squib round a couple years ago in my Sav 93/17hmr but it barely entered the throat of the barrel and I was lucky because it tapped out pretty easy with a cleaning rod. Was weird because there was enough ignition of some type to push the bullet out of the case and barely into the barrel but not enough to ignite the powder because it all fell out of the case and made a mess in my gun as I ejected the case.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Glad you're OK!
Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 AM
DBag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interested to hear how this plays out.

I got a 'great deal' on quite a few boxes of old Hornady ammo a few years back, from a former gun store owner's unsold stock.

I quickly found out why they were cheap. I'd get good accuracy out of maybe 90% of them, but the ones not grouping with the others were way out- like 6" groups at 100. And they sound odd. And they split their necks.

And every now and again I get a squib that has to be pushed out of the chamber with a cleaning rod, leaving a case full of solidified powder and a nice solid looking primer strike.

I occasionally shoot them, just don't let anyone else. So far, a second round couldn't be accidentally loaded behind the squib because the bullet is not forced into the rifling far enough to allow it.

Returning them is out of the question since they are old stock, I suppose from the same time period as the O.P.'s ammo.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBag View Post
Interested to hear how this plays out.

I got a 'great deal' on quite a few boxes of old Hornady ammo a few years back, from a former gun store owner's unsold stock.

I quickly found out why they were cheap. I'd get good accuracy out of maybe 90% of them, but the ones not grouping with the others were way out- like 6" groups at 100. And they sound odd. And they split their necks.

And every now and again I get a squib that has to be pushed out of the chamber with a cleaning rod, leaving a case full of solidified powder and a nice solid looking primer strike.

I occasionally shoot them, just don't let anyone else. So far, a second round couldn't be accidentally loaded behind the squib because the bullet is not forced into the rifling far enough to allow it.

Returning them is out of the question since they are old stock, I suppose from the same time period as the O.P.'s ammo.
DBag, that is very interesting. Can you provide photos of your solidified or congealed powder squibs? Also, did the projectiles from those squibs push out easily? It's difficult for me to understand how the projectiles could be launched solely by the primers without blowing out the un-combusted (or under-deflagrated) powder. At this time I have no explanation for my observation that a possible squib load had congealed powder remaining in its case. Except that perhaps my observation was/is incorrect. Your report of having similar experiences confounds my understanding of this event even more. Hopefully a review of the surveillance video from my event will provide some degree of certainty as to its cause(s). -S2
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM
31b20

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I encountered the same problem several years ago except I was lucky that I knew it was a squib after I pulled the trigger.
Bullet traveled a few inches in the barrel, took the rifle home ( Ruger 77/17) bullet was easily removed.

I contacted CCI ,seems this was pretty common (Google 17 HMR squibs) in older ammo ...neck splits caused moisture to contaminate the powder hindering ignition.
I had three boxes if this lot of ammo left and found about half dozen with split necks . CCI asked that I return the ammo and replaced it with fresh stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM
maxiball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They oughta replace the gun.
Several years, even decades ago,
I had a Ruger #1 in .220 Swift and a factory load let loose at the primer.
Gas cutting on the breech near the firing pin.
Sent it to Ruger for a look see and got a NEW rifle.
Evidently it wasn't the ammo or they'd not have replaced the rifle.
One wonders if Ruger is that generous these days?
Saw remnants of black powder ONLY muzzle loaders that some idiots put 10 grains of bullseye pistol powder
down bore to "kick start" the holy black. "kick start"? Really??????????
STUPID.
Blew at the breech they did.
Was hunting with some buds back when Ohio was shogtun/slug only.
Fella was using Brenneke slugs, the one with the "tit" on the nose.
Evidently the tit was too long because when he shot the thing one round in the magazine of the 870 set of the other
rounds.
FOUR slugs fired in the tube magazine, blew up, set his trigger arm coat on fire!
Otherwise he was unhurt but we were scared silly.
Brenneke, or the importer, forget which, replaced the coat and gun.

Last edited by maxiball; 03-27-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM
maxiball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I blew up an expensive Kimber Target .45 when a factory round
fired out of battery.
Blew the magazine out of the thing, barrel and slide went FORWARD into the yard,
leaving me with one grip in my quite numb right hand.
I sent the pieces, shell casing fused in the chamber, to Kimber.
They sent the pieces, and all back with a nice letter saying "too bad,
glad your o.k."
E-mailed the ammo company with pics and never got a response.
Done with Kimber.
I shoot a Colt .45 Gold Cup Trophy these days.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:04 AM
DBag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo2 View Post
DBag, that is very interesting. Can you provide photos of your solidified or congealed powder squibs? Also, did the projectiles from those squibs push out easily? It's difficult for me to understand how the projectiles could be launched solely by the primers without blowing out the un-combusted (or under-deflagrated) powder. At this time I have no explanation for my observation that a possible squib load had congealed powder remaining in its case. Except that perhaps my observation was/is incorrect. Your report of having similar experiences confounds my understanding of this event even more. Hopefully a review of the surveillance video from my event will provide some degree of certainty as to its cause(s). -S2
Speedo2-
Sorry for the slow response. I only seldom post here and assumed I'd get an email notification if there were responses to my post.

Anyway- I haven't got any photos for you, as this last happened quite awhile ago and I took no pictures. I'm afraid I haven't been shooting actively of late.

I'm surprised at myself for not having cut open a case afterwards to look at the 'powder'. As you say, it had to be pretty solid to withstand the pressure wave from the primer without exiting the case mouth or being pulverized back into powder form, but that is what I remember seeing.

In each of the several squibs I've gotten from these boxes of ammo, roughly 5 in all, the bullet was lodged only partially in the rifling. It had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle, and as I remember took gentle rapping with my palm- just pushing on the rod wasn't enough.

I'll post back here if and when I shoot more of these rounds.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:13 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiball View Post
fired out of battery.
Blew the magazine out of the thing, barrel and slide went FORWARD into the yard,
glad your o.k."
Done with Kimber.
Kimber should have just stuck w making rifles only. I have seen two NIB Kimber pistols taken out at the range and not fire. For the $ you spend on them that shouldn't happen. That is like buying a new Mercedes and throwing a rod out the side of the engine before you left the dealership. Plenty of great pistols for less $. I won't buy a Kimber pistol either.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Master Blaster

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiball View Post
fired out of battery.
glad your o.k."
Done with Kimber.
1911's do not fire out of battery, its basically impossible due to the design. You had a bad factory round that was overcharged. Who was the ammo manufacturer? I own two Kimbers that have may thousands of rounds fired with zero problems. I also know several folks at my club who own them and use them in Bullseye competition. They are very well made as far as 1911 production pistols go. I also own two Colt Gold cups one made in 1997 and the other in 2015 ( a series 70). The Colts are also nice guns but they are not as tightly fitted or as well dehorned as my Kimbers are.

Last edited by Master Blaster; 04-03-2017 at 07:11 AM.