Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Three More

730 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kilogulf59 
#1 ·
Three more questions and I think I’m set.

1. Scopes: Are only models for rimfires OK to use or can any scope due? I was thinking of Leopold (2 RF models) but any advice will help.
2. What does the auto-bolt release modification do?
3. Who makes a better magazine release than the stock one?
4. (I know I said three…D’ohhhhh) Any advice on reshaping the factory wood stock?

Thanks again,
KG59

#2 ·
... just my thoughts, KG59 =

1. Scopes: Are only models for rimfires OK to use or can any scope due? I was thinking of Leopold (2 RF models) but any advice will help.
-- Any scope can do. For off-hand and quick hunting shots the lower power may work best. For bench work, it seems the higher the better. If you are on a 'Leo' budget, you will probably be looking for RF models or at least those with an adjustable objective.

2. What does the auto-bolt release modification do?
-- What it does NOT DO is hold the bolt open after the last shot, unfortunately. But what it DOES DO is very convenient. After the bolt has been manually locked open (for whatever reason), a simple pull-back on the bolt handle allows the bolt lock to spring out of the way. ( very, very convenient)

3. Who makes a better magazine release than the stock one?
-- Totally a matter of personal choice. Some here have stated use only a metal mag release. For my part, plastic has always worked fine and all the aftermarket mag releases are too obtrusive (inc. VQ). I 'Dremel' them down til they are smooth-edged, less conspicuous, and less prone to accidental mag dropping.

4. (I know I said three…D'ohhhhh) Any advice on reshaping the factory wood stock?
-- Again, purely a matter of personal choice. I have always considered the factory 10/22 wood unneccessarily bulky, but very strong. Look around RFC at what some of the folks have done and you will barely recognize some of the modified stocks as having come from factory wood. And if you don't like wood working, the aftermarket choices are available to suit for every budget and taste.

Good luck, ay? ... and have fun! These 10/22's have more mods available than a 1911, and are a lot cheaper to play with.

~ E Mont

#3 ·
Thanks E Mont, you’ve been very helpful.

As a matter of fact, everyone here at RFC has (FYI…I have other posts going).

What I’m doing is compiling notes from the responses I get and the other posts I’ve looked at.

This way I figure I’ll know what to do, how to do it, and how much to save. I don’t want to butcher a fine weapon like the 10/22, or any other one for that matter.

Now if I could just get info on how to buy a winning lottery ticket…..

Happy New Year,
KG59

#4 ·
Now if I could just get info on how to buy a winning lottery ticket…..
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

FWIW, I like the VQ extended mag release, although on my bench gun I have a Clark and really like it. I would not, however, recommend the Clark if you are walking around in the woods. It would be too easy to catch it on anything and drop the mag accidentally.

The scope you use will be dependent on your use. I avoid the really cheap rimfire scopes. Leupold makes great scopes if you can afford them.

#5 ·
Oh yeah, and search around, especially in the Stocks and barrels section for modified factory stocks. Also look up any rifles associated with gmcfixer's Low Dough Challenge thread. Some of the guys have done amazing things modifying factory stocks, simply amazing. :D

#6 ·
A note on Leupold Scopes.
Even the models you see normally mounted on a centerfire model can be used. The parallax should be changed for the yardage that is more in line with rimfire shooting.
Leupold has a custom shop that can do this and your warrenty remains intact, and the turn around is fairly quick. Here is the link for pricing.
http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop_pricing.htm
I have a 3-9 VXII I had done, and I am very pleased with it.
I also have a Bushnell Elite 3000 3-9 that has been done, and a Weaver V10 (2-10).
All three scopes work really well for hunting, as I keep them set at the lower powers.
I really think perhaps a 1.5-6 may be the best scope you could get redone because of the super wide field of view at 1.5 for those quick shots on moving game, a 2-7 would be good also. With a 3-9 set on 9X it will be out of focus at close range, like 25 yards any way, and the 9-10x are still not perfectly clear at 50 yards.
Andy

#7 ·
#1-Well I have a really cheap 2-7X32 AO BSA Airgun scope on one of my 10/22 rifles and really like it! Hey guys, don't beat me up on this! It is really clear and works better than any Simmons I have. AO down to about 10 feet.
#2- Make your own auto bolt release. Only takes a few minutes with a small file or Dremel tool. And you get to see whats hiding in that trigger assembly. Just read the Tips and Techniques section.
#3-Again, make your own extended magazine release. Take the factory release and drill a 1/4 inch drill hole in it and JB weld the factory bolt stop pin in place. (You did put in a bolt buffer didn't you.) I cut about 1/4 inch off of my pin first, chucked it in a drill, rounded the end and polished it up. It looks good and works good for no bucks!
#4-I took my factory Deluxe Sporter and just opened the barrel channel. But there are a lot of folks that have done some radical stuff with the carbine stocks. First thing I would do though is lose the barrel band and cut off the tip of the stock. Then free float the barrel.

#8 ·
... just my 2nd thoughts, KG59 =

Hi again KG59 ~

I really like 'jrinfoley's' comments/tips! Some of my favorite scopes have been the cheapest (e.g. a Tasco that came with a new 788). A $300-500 price tag seems to carry a little too much weight with it, for some of us.

Making the autobolt release is simple (following the tips) and it gets you inside the gun to understand the rest of it.

As for the extended mag release ... experiment til you find what you like.

And my first 10/22 bull is a Shilen that is still in Ruger wood ... with the barrel trough hogged-out, the snout cut (a la Anschutz) and no barrel band.

Hint: Keep your eye out for other discount-priced 10/22's. Once you get a feel for them and the options, it only makes sense to test your experiments side-by-side!

Have fun, ay? ... and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you! ~ E Mont

#9 ·
Hello and, sincerely, thanks to all.

I WISH I had a Leopold budget. Actually I had a bad experience with an “El-Cheapo” scope years ago and have used iron sights ever since.

Then I started deer hunting in upper Wisconsin. The guys all had good scopes, Nikons but mostly Leopold’s. I was amazed to say the least, so I figured any scope under a “million dollars” isn’t worth the time and money to mount it.

To embed this idea even further in my head, one of the fellows had a beautiful Weatherby rifle and put a cheap 3-9 Simmons on it…it fogged on him.

Any advise on scopes, or anything else for that matter, is truly welcome and greatly appreciated.

KEEP IT COMING!

Happy New Year To All,
KG59

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.