Sheridan H9A pistol - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:50 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sheridan H9A pistol

I have a Sheridan pump pistol 5MM that is extremely hard to pump. and would be impossible if I was not a grown man, wife can't pump it.
It is not old, 15 years or thereabouts, maybe one of the last .20 calibers made, and has only been fired a few hundred times.

It is lubed with Crossman pellet gun oil where the manual says to lube and nothing in the ram area. That area is as best I can tell is perhaps where the friction is that is causing it to be hard to pump.

Do we have any experts here, or has anyone else had this problem with these guns and do you know the fix?

I have thought perhaps using pellet gun oil or Hornady spray gun lube on the ram but have not done anything for fear of doing the wrong thing and causing more problems than I have already.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of the H9s - Sheridan/Benjamin/Crosman - are hard to pump relative to some other pump air pistols. That short cocking lever just doesn't allow for much leverage. If you want an easy to pump air pistol, the Crosman 1377/22 series are MUCH easier to pump.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have one of these and yes because of their size are sort of hard to pump. But if you decide to sell it and it was made in Racine, WI, they supposedly bring a premium. I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak rifle which is sort of hard to pump. I generally shoot both of them at about 15 yds and when I do, I only use about 4 pumps. Both will shoot one hole groups. Wish my RWS 34 was as accurate. (edit) Which is also a muscle builder, but only "one" pump.

Last edited by alro41; 11-30-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:56 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I know the Sheridan's are harder to pump, but this pistol is EXTREMELY hard, As I said before the wife or a child couldn't pump it.

I was a kid with my first Blue Streak (still have it) and to pump it I had to hold it against my body and use both hand pulling toward me.
This pistol is easier after pumping it on and off for a couple of days but still very hard, too hard to be acceptable.'
I suspect that when Crossman made this one they used steel and not brass or bronze as Sheridan did for the tube, and there is a slight amount of rust or corrosion inside the fill tube yet I can't see it without dissembling the gun which I would rather not do.

The real question is what product can I use inside that tube to lube things that won't affect the ram rubber or cause problems in the valve system?

Edit: Fill tube is apparently brass not steel.

Last edited by rem33; 12-01-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Use a few drops of 20 wt synthetic hydraulic oil.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
mje
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Or ATF, which is what Iíve used on several pump guns like the Daisy 717/747/777.