What Base and Rings for 3/4" Tube Scope? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:23 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What Base and Rings for 3/4" Tube Scope?

I've seen guys show their older 3/4" Redfield scopes on their SA 22 or BL22, and Gru-Bee makes a modern repro of them.
What ring and base combo would you use with them ?

The Gru-Bee comes with 3/4" rings but I'm not sure what base would work with it.
I believe the Browning base only works with the Talley made Browning rings, and Talley doesn't make any in 3/4" size.

Mounting combos in 1 inch are easy, not so sure about the 3/4".
Old 11-22-2020, 11:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The good news is that the Browning mount is grooved along its entire length, so you can use any standard 3/8 rimfire rings. You can place rings anywhere along its entire length; you don't have to use those cut outs for the Tally rings, though some other rimfire rings will fit in the cut outs, too.

The bad news is that it can be tough getting some scopes far enough back when mounted to get a full field of view. Not sure how much eye relief that repro Baby Redfield has, but it's something you might want to check. The Leupold 4x Rimfire Classic worked for me, but it has an unusually log 4.5" of eye relief. Most rimfire scopes don't. Should be lots of old threads on this scope mounting on the Browning, so might be worth a search.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
For the right look with a Redfield 3/4" scope, you want the older, discontinued Browning/Redfield slender cantilever base.(eye relief is not an issue with the the 3/4 " scope) They show up regularly on ebay. The only base that I would consider for any scope choice, and what my gun has worn for the last 52 years.(currently wearing Burris deluxe steel rings with it, along with a Leupold VXI 2-7 rf special in gloss with flip open covers)
The current version may be superior, but too bulky looking for me. I also want gloss components on my rifle.

Last edited by Camster; 11-22-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 03:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks for the info. Good to hear that the Browning base has the groove along it's length.
The older Browning bases seem to be scarce, I haven't seen any on E-Bay.
Gloss doesn't matter to me as my SA is now matte.

I'm not totally set on a 3/4" tube scope, but they really look "right" on the SA.
I'm sure it's nice optically to have a big 3-9x or 4-12x like some of the ones I've seen, but I couldn't handle the rifle being dwarfed by the scope.
The cheapie 3/4" scopes of our youth were hard to see through, I imagine with more modern technology the Gru-Bee is worlds better even if it is Chinese made.
Weight is 5.8 oz. with 4 inches of eye relief and choice of 4 reticles.

An old American made Redfield Cub would be nice, but I've seen them go for $250, that's as much as I have into the SA 22.

Last edited by sandog; 11-22-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the looks of the vintage 3/4" scopes on that rifle, too. Best of luck.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I like the looks of the vintage 3/4" scopes on that rifle, too. Best of luck.
I owned a Redfield 3/4" 4x in the 80s,(the only scope I deemed appropriate for my Trombone) and considered the Grubee not long ago, but in reading opinions in the scope section below, decided against it.
The fact of the matter is that a Leupold 4x rf special or the 2-7 rf special, is vastly superior to either in all ways.
The current FX 1 matte 4x rf special can be purchased brand new with life time warranty for less than an older Redfield or Browning marked Redfield 3/4" scope, with it's multi piece tube, lesser optics and smaller field of view, with little in the way of service available.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'll look into the Leupold RF Specials.