Can rimfire manufacturers do anything about ammo shortages? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post
Do rimfire gun purchases slow down dramatically when there is little to no ammo?

Are there any rimfire gun companies that produce ammo or might start a subsidiary?

While it is tempting to buy a CZ, who needs another club or a pistol that's an expensive rock.

And is there a reason why shotgun ammo is still available?
Though I have no stats on the purchases, I know when the current stuff started I picked up a couple more rimfires. Easier to find ammo, even if it's gone up in price some. And with rimfire going up in price so much, way easier on the wallet.

I used "gun math" to convince my wife that a couple more rimfire purchases would more than pay off in ammo savings. But it really was true. A trip to the range with my 9mm might cost $100-120 in ammo. I picked up a value 22 rifle and a cheap scope for less than $200 all totaled. But I can shoot a couple hundred rounds per range trip for not much money.

As for shotguns, I suspect it's just use per trip, Not a lot of people go and put 200 shells downrange in one trip. Even with a smaller caliber it wears on the shoulder, and capacity, action types, etc often slow the rate of fire even if you want the shoulder abuse.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
As for shotguns, I suspect it's just use per trip, Not a lot of people go and put 200 shells downrange in one trip. Even with a smaller caliber it wears on the shoulder, and capacity, action types, etc often slow the rate of fire even if you want the shoulder abuse.
I get your point however... you don't shoot much skeet or trap I assume.

My guess; manufacturers are cranking ammo out as much as possible during the pandemic as this shortage is a money making boon for them. What happens to the ammo after isn't on them.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:48 AM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post
Do rimfire gun purchases slow down dramatically when there is little to no ammo?

Are there any rimfire gun companies that produce ammo or might start a subsidiary?

While it is tempting to buy a CZ, who needs another club or a pistol that's an expensive rock.

And is there a reason why shotgun ammo is still available?

its sort of obvious you are young or new to the gun game.

but this is not the first time a shortage has happened. HINT HINT. And it wont be the last...HINT HINT...

but one of the times it happened, there was an article in American Rifleman? about this and some of your questions/concerns...

the jist iirc...

> to the company....it makes no sense to buy (spec out, bid/order, build, assemble, install, test/verify, hire new employees, train them) to make more ammo, only to have the demand go away a few weeks/months/years down the road.

> the company could be left with excess capacity at the end (idle equipment) and employees sanding around twirling their thumbs... So they wait it out and are happy as clams as other do the panic buying and keeps their doors open and employees employeed.

some personal comments...

> you are seeing the world through your eyes and as a consumer. Not as a manufacture and what they need to do to put that ammo in the box.

> things dont happen overnight.

personally i dont blame the mfg for not doing much. I would too, just keep on making at capacity and wait.

the question is, will you learn from this after its over?
Old 11-21-2020, 07:03 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Manufacturers have started to do their part...

Federal would have free shipping on orders over $149....they still do. But now they're limiting you to two boxes. Two boxes of whatever (9mm 380) for the sake of argument is $44 plus tax plus $15 shipping. It adds up. Previously they'd let you buy cases and get free shipping.

Want to guess where it ended up? Yep. Armslist and Gunbroker.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM
whammm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post

the question is, will you learn from this after its over?
Thank you for your answer. Got lucky while buying for being a newbie at 65. Bought about 8 years at my weekly rate averaging 6 cents a round for plinking 22lr. Question is will this be enough from your experience?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:48 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
" . . . Can rimfire manufacturers do anything about ammo shortages? . . . "

Yes, I suspect they could easily make them worse . . .
Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I get your point however... you don't shoot much skeet or trap I assume.

My guess; manufacturers are cranking ammo out as much as possible during the pandemic as this shortage is a money making boon for them. What happens to the ammo after isn't on them.
Though I don't shoot either, I considered both skeet and trap shooting as the possible exceptions. But "plinking" often gets boring after you blast a few things, and I often see people at indoor range blast maybe 12-20 shells and call it done. They get tired of blowing the centers out of the targets and replacing them more often.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
200 rounds of 12 gauge would have been the lowest amount of rounds expended for a single nigh of league shooting. Usully 300 was a normal night, if we did games afterward it was easy to hit 500 rounds. Didn't take long to burn through some ammo. In the early 2000s cheap rounds were 2 for 5 at a store called bi mart. Remember parking my geo metro outside and buying so many my tires started getting close to the wheel wells......

Good old days... making big $$$$$ halibut fishing, drove a 500$ metro and shared a house that was 300$ a month in rent. Definitely spent more in ammo back then than housing in my single days.

Back on topic.

It does seem (granted I lived really rural for the last go) that this shortage has been better on the rimfire front than the 12 shortage. Big boxes are gutted, but old mal wart has been keeping some in. Several shops have it in, at higher prices but not outta crazy normal for Alaska. Considering manufacturing limitations in some states, its pretty good really.

A lot of hydraulic mfg. is in Italy, as well as one of the main transmission manufactures.... its close to a year now lead time on a marine gear.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
slickracer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember back in '96 Dicks had Remington Sport loads for $1.97/box. You should have seen the look on the clerk's face when I asked for a hand truck. Bought 10 cases.