Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM
AgentEgret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NRL22-type matches/training

I'll be soon doing NRL22-type shoots and a few questions for those who've participated so I can start practicing...better...

- are you using a ballistics app for this style of competition? If so, recommendations?

- are you dialing or using holdovers on your optic?

- What magnification are you typically using?

- Do you change magnification much throughout the shoot, or keep it static?

- Any training tips/drills for me to bang out while shooting solo?

I'm not looking to 'buy accuracy' with gear/gadgets/etc - I'm on a budget, plus it kinda goes against what I believe in - but...

- is there a piece of must-have gear for training or competing you could't do without (other than rifle/ammo duh)?

I'm running a Savage Mark II with a factory-installed Boyd's stock (Cabela's package) that will feature a 20MOA EGW rail & a Cabela's Covenant 6-24x FFP optic. I've a Chinesium/Amazon bipod I'll be swapping out shortly for an Harris 6"-9" bipod, and soon to get a shooting mat & my lovely wife is sewing me a shooting bag out of some surplus duffel bags we have laying around.

I'm comfortable with the rifle - on the package deal Weaver 3-9x optic, this was my 10 round group at 100yds with CCI Standard Velocity: https://i.imgur.com/kSBoZUo.jpg

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

Edit: I meant Harris bipod, not Atlas

Last edited by AgentEgret; 04-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Sounds like you have the basics covered. The bag seems to be a pretty important piece of kit in all the vids I've seen. Of the five stages in a match, two are prone so the mat should come in handy.

Quote:
The local monthly course of fire will always have 2 prone stages, a barricade stage, a positional stage and one stage that could be any of the above.
https://nrl22.org/downloads/

Take a look at this:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1150701

Last edited by Sophia; 04-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 AM
AgentEgret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the link to the other thread; I somehow missed that in my search of the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Ibex
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Strelok basic app is more than adequate for this. I use it, but there are lots of good apps available. Truthfully for the NRL22 monthly COF there are a rather limited number of sight adjustments that you will make, so you will likely get used to those and not be relying on an app for each shot or string of shots. Seems to be fairly evenly divided among the shooters on either a 25yd or 50yd zero. Pick one that you like. I personally have a 50 yd zero and my zero stop set for my 25yd adjustment. My rifle and ammo combo does have a difference in POI between 25 and 50.
Dial or hold over? Yes. Lol! You will use both so might as well get comfortable with both. Personally for me, if I can dial it I do. If the stage gets time sensitive enough to require holdovers then don't fight it, just go with it. Again it stays fairly consistent whether you are shooting MOA or mil. The holdovers don't change much.
Magnification is kind of the same thing. If it is a dynamic stage where you are changing targets each shot, lower magnification equals wider FOV and quicker onto the target... if you are just flopped on your belly banging away at the KYL rack more magnification is nice to have on the 1/4" target!
Spend the money and buy a good bag; Gamechanger or Fortune Cookie type bag, just to name a couple off the top of my head... priceless!!
Practice what you suck at!! Fight the urge to just lay on your belly and bang away off your bipod. Get out of your comfort zone (comfort zone is prone supported unless you are totally different than all of the rest of man kind! Lol!!) You will be shooting from alternate positions from barricades on usually 2 stages per month. Your bipod is either going to just be in the way or used as a wedge on a barricade on those stages.
Every month 20% of your score will be from positional stages; standing, kneeling, seated, unsupported prone or a combination of any or all of them. So it is worth it to practice those.
The nice thing is, it is an open book test, you have access to the COF and can practice the skills needed for that month.
Best of luck to you, have fun & be aware this is a highly addictive discipline.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM
AgentEgret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, great info in there. I'm pretty excited to start expanding my skills for this.

I'm starting to do IPSC pistol shoots this year as well, but I'm actually more excited about these events. Something about running the bolt and plinking targets with my .22 brings me joy
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 PM
GSSP
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Near the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, Utah
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentEgret View Post
I'll be soon doing NRL22-type shoots and a few questions for those who've participated so I can start practicing...better...

- are you using a ballistics app for this style of competition? If so, recommendations?
I've been running Shooter for 10+ years now. Very important you get your "Sight Height" above bore VERY accurate. It can make a difference if you "depend" on a ballistic app. Many of us show up early and shoot the distances listed in the monthly COF and mark down our exact dope. Also realize velocities can increase/decrease for every 1 deg F. I measure 1.25 fps/1 deg F the other day. I've seen it as much as 2 fps per deg F....so far.

- are you dialing or using holdovers on your optic? Two minutes is usually enough time to dial each distance though a few COF have you moving a lot so learning to hold over is important. Some months 1 COF will require holding over.

- What magnification are you typically using? I run either an IOR or the new Athlon Midas Tac....both 6-24 FFP.

- Do you change magnification much throughout the shoot, or keep it static? Usually static

- Any training tips/drills for me to bang out while shooting solo? Practice ahead of time if possible. They post each months' COF the last week of each month. Shoot each distance prior to the match to write down each dial up, especially the paper target distance. That COF was designed to break ties. I've seen guys loose win over a 2 point miss/hit; myself included.

I'm not looking to 'buy accuracy' with gear/gadgets/etc - I'm on a budget, plus it kinda goes against what I believe in - but...

- is there a piece of must-have gear for training or competing you could't do without (other than rifle/ammo duh)? Besides testing lots of different ammo or even better yet, sending your rifle to the Lapua test center in Mesa, AZ to have them test it for not just a specific type but the specific lot #......Get the SAP cuff sling and learn how to use it

I'm running a Savage Mark II with a factory-installed Boyd's stock (Cabela's package) that will feature a 20MOA EGW rail & a Cabela's Covenant 6-24x FFP optic. I've a Chinesium/Amazon bipod I'll be swapping out shortly for an Harris 6"-9" bipod, and soon to get a shooting mat & my lovely wife is sewing me a shooting bag out of some surplus duffel bags we have laying around. Get a bipod, like the Atlas. The ability to fold the legs forward and back can enhance your ability to run a COF more efficiently

I'm comfortable with the rifle - on the package deal Weaver 3-9x optic, this was my 10 round group at 100yds with CCI Standard Velocity: https://i.imgur.com/kSBoZUo.jpg

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

Edit: I meant Harris bipod, not Atlas
If possible, practice different ways to approach each COF prior to the match. You might be surprised how much better you'll shoot if you can figure out a COF "off" the clock. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Alan
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 PM
AgentEgret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for the detailed response, a lot of great info in there I hadn't considered (eg, sight height)

I start my ammo trials this weekend, stepping up from CCI Standard Velocity to a couple different types from Eley & SK. The Lapua stuff is a little rich up here in Canadaland (~$18/50 rounds).

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
The ONLY way to get your true "come-ups" is to shoot your gun and ammo on paper at each expected range and note the temperature as ammo shoots different in the cold vs hot. I get mine in 10 yard increments from 50 yards to 200 yards as that is the max distance we shoot.

This will also let you know which of your ammo shoots best at the longer ranges. Believe me as it works

As for form in shooting different stages, watch the other shooters that shoot well and attempt to emulate.

Last edited by Travelor; 04-17-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wood a hopped up 10-22 ruger work for nlr?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM
JHB51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
The ONLY way to get your true "come-ups" is to shoot your gun and ammo on paper at each expected range and note the temperature as ammo shoots different in the cold vs hot. I get mine in 10 yard increments from 50 yards to 200 yards as that is the max distance we shoot.

This will also let you know which of your ammo shoots best at the longer ranges. Believe me as it works

As for form in shooting different stages, watch the other shooters that shoot well and attempt to emulate.

What he said.

The only things I bring other than targets and ammo are a pencil, note book, and tape measure. Do it this way and what you see is what it is. All the fancy gear in the world cant compare to the to the actual results of doing it like this.